.2GT3 VS .2GTS vid

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I have the X51 (on the 991.2 C2S) and its a missile but also very linear in its responses (both engine and throttle). Hills and corners are your friend

Not sure what the issue is with the NA guys on Rennlist - the lag/throttle debates are largely ill informed and you have 3500 to 7500 rpm (4000 rpm) to play with Vs. 5000 to 9000 rpm (4000 rpm). Of course the higher revving engine generates higher losses.

To get a car with a better turbocharged engine you have to buy a 488, which according to a poster here, the 488 engine was rated ahead of the new GT3 engine by Porsches own works drivers.

No real dog in this fight, they are both fantastic machines.
The 488 engine is nearly lag free.

The 9A2 is right behind it. Literally, right behind in terms of lag.

The worst high-end engine in terms of lag is whatever McLaren is using in the 570S.

None of that should be interpreted to mean that a FI engine, even one as nearly lag free as the one in the 488, can replicate the experience of a NA engine.

In other words, the 9A2 is nearly lag free, but does it replicate the experience of a 9A1? No.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

Geez I think the 991.2 0-60 lovers are missing the point.

Anyone who who buys a GT3 and using it for its intended purpose cares that it has enough power to compete on track irrespective of whether a turbo charged car is faster in a straight line. GT3 buyers who actually track their cars typically don't buy turbos because they need a more direct correlation between accelerator pedal and the cars power delivery. Any lumpy delivery, no matter how slight can be incredibly frustrating when holding a racing line.

If you want a 0-60 911 get the turbo S.

And yes, I know the 991.2 is faster than my 991.1S. I test drive both-- mine was one of the last 2016's. Buy what you prefer, and don't put others down for their choices. You just make yourself look insecure when doing it.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Trust me no GT3 sale will be lost because of that video..people are waiting in line and paying over MSRP, GTS can be had with 5% discount any day...that tells you something, there must be more to the car than torque and 0-60
I don't disagree. That doesn't mean the GTS isn't quicker for less money with far more tuning potential though.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN

A demonstration of the significance of torque over horsepower... .
Bingo
Old 09-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Bingo
Not exactly, he means area under the curve. We aren't racing diesels. It's about torque x rpm / 5252

Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
In other words, the 9A2 is nearly lag free, but does it replicate the experience of a 9A1? No.
Likewise the 9A1 doesn't replicate the experience of the 9A2 - the real world and actual performance difference is substantial and that matters to those that want a different level of performance. It can't be ignored and most would acknowledge that it transforms the 991.

For those NA guys that keep going on about 0-60 times.....therefore get a TTS..... you are totally missing the point, the TTS has very different response characteristics, is heavier and has AWD (Din -1600kg TTS Vs Din - 1460kg X51S ~ in imperial thats over 300lbs).

For many its about the total package and the full performance envelope that package offers. Its not a one dimensional issue.

In terms of the 488 engine, Porsches own works drivers preferred it to the new mill in the GT3. I'm not surprised by this at all. I'm also not surprised by the out come in the video the OP posted.

Its good that Porsche provide choice, with choice there are different experiences to be had. This should be celebrated.

And at the end of the day the video simply demonstrates how close these cars are - the Carrera has grown up, again thats something to celebrate.

Last edited by randr; 09-16-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Yup! Since when have we started to define the 911 as a dragster? There are plenty of faster 0-60 cars for less than half the price. I have driven .2's and .1's, unless you live below 4000 rpm, i will take the NA any day on a track. These cars will land you in jail past 3rd gear irrespective of .1 or .2 on the road. They are all fun, who cares.
I don't know why a .2 GTS couldn't hang with a .2 GT3 on a track too. Same tire size... suspension about the same with an incredible power plant too. More torque wouldn't hurt either. Wish someone could do a really detailed side by side track comparison, same day, same conditions, accurate timers etc. I bet the .2 GTS give the .2 GT3 a real run for its money.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
I don't know why a .2 GTS couldn't hang with a .2 GT3 on a track too. Same tire size... suspension about the same with an incredible power plant too. More torque wouldn't hurt either. Wish someone could do a really detailed side by side track comparison, same day, same conditions, accurate timers etc. I bet the .2 GTS give the .2 GT3 a real run for its money.
Probably close enough where the driver would make the difference in one vs the other. Back to the video that started this thread we are talking 1/10th a second. Certainly a small enough margin where a better driver in a track situation could certainly make either of them the faster car. Now with launch control and a straight line it pretty much takes driver skill out of the equation but like others said who is really drag racing on the street with launch control anyways. That is the only place this video would be applicable.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Its the driver that counts with most of these cars (on track).

Its not the car that makes the driver its the driver that makes the car.

To drive the GTS or GT3 to the limits and post quick times commensurate with the friction circles, as defined by the tires, requires a lot of track time.

The rest is just hot air, it really is . Straight line is a different kettle of fish. Its hard to argue with the GTS credentials and you can get ventilated seats
Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 610 Posts

you can get ventilated seats
Yes! And MFSW. And 5 bolt wheels.

All of which are why I'm not bugging my dealer for a GT3 Touring allocation.
If it was being made in my definition of "touring", then 500 NA HP and the 6 speed from the 911R would make it a different story.

I like fast cars but I spend 99.9% of my time on regular roads.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Its the driver that counts with most of these cars (on track).

Its not the car that makes the driver its the driver that makes the car.

To drive the GTS or GT3 to the limits and post quick times commensurate with the friction circles, as defined by the tires, requires a lot of track time.

The rest is just hot air, it really is . Straight line is a different kettle of fish. Its hard to argue with the GTS credentials and you can get ventilated seats
And a back seat too!
Old 09-16-2017, 09:54 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
So the 911 is a Prius or is it a sports car?

There aren't really any quicker 0-60 cars for half the price. Name a car doing under 3.0 seconds 0-60 for half the price. I'll wait.

Go ahead and take the NA and be slower. Doesn't matter to me. The point is not only is the 991.2 decimating 991.1 Carreras it is now beating the best GT3 ever made too and for less money.

The GT3 is a great track car. Just make sure you never line up next to a GTS on the street.

If nobody cared I'm not sure why we have different options or a forum to discuss them in the first place.
corvette Z06.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Negative: Put slicks on both cars and the GTS will suffer (I'm going through this now with my C2S). The GT3 has stiffer springs and a two-piece lower control arm that allows more than the GTS's -2 degrees of camber (plus many other suspension differences). On a road course this is enough of a difference with similar drivers.

BTW: Have yet to see a 991.2 on the track. Saw a Cayman .2 on the track two weeks ago, impressive...
Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Sound > Torque.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
Trust me no GT3 sale will be lost because of that video..people are waiting in line and paying over MSRP, GTS can be had with 5% discount any day...that tells you something, there must be more to the car than torque and 0-60
Sticky seems to keep missing why N/A 911's are revered and why every N/A 911 will hold better value in the future over his 991.2.

It's not acceleration. It's not MPG. It's soulfulness, sound, rev rewarding powerband (file under soul) and visceral engagement.

Nobody in their right mind disputes the 991.2's are absolute beasts. Much like the 718, one upside to the a car that's historically known for its auditory quality losing that auditory quality, is that Porsche had to compensate by making it perform immaculately. Of course, the 991.2 doesn't sound near as bad as a 718, but the worst sounding N/A flat 6 sounds eons better, and it just leaves a lot to be desired in that category, namely compared to previous 911's. I know of guys with 991.2 GTS's who say their Macan GTS's sound better (and louder).

The 991.2 is as superior to the 991.1 in performance as the latter is to the former in sound and rev happiness (and imo that's being generous to 991.2's). Both have their perks and will fulfill different people's needs.

Though, I do find it funny how after 50+ years of 911's building reputations as the most revered sports cars in the world, reputations as anti-torque, rev monsters.. all of a sudden we have some guys going full Camaro with the torquegasms because Porsche boosted the Carreras. Torque is great, immense fun on roads, and it's in healthy supply on a plethora of cars that previous N/A 911's obliterated in comparison reviews, despite muscle-car "torque bros"' kicks and screams.

Quick Reply: .2GT3 VS .2GTS vid