Sponsored by:

X51 vs. Dealers's Homebrew

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
All - I see another thread about the X51 but thought these new data points merited a fresh start.

I just inquired at my dealer about the X51 and this was his - somewhat surprising - reply:

The X51 Power Kit from Porsche increases your Horsepower from 400 HP to 430 HP. Installed it goes for $22,500.00 plus tax.
Here is what is included in the X51 Power Kit:
1. Contains modified cylinder heads and camshafts
2. Newly developed variable resonance intake system
featuring 6 plus 1 switchable valves
3. Center cooler
4. Optimized engine control including a new engine compartment styling with a titanium colored cover and inserts with "Carrera 3.8" or "Targa 3.8"

Our Power Kit that we offer increases your Horsepower from 400 HP to 445 HP. Installed it goes for $11,270.00 plus tax.
Here is what is included in our Power Kit:
1. Performance exhaust system
2. Performance intake system
3. Performance tune
4. Performance high flow filters

Is this some kind of alchemy? 50% more HP boost at 50% less cost? And with bolt on parts? And all warrantied from a dealer?
Not sure where this dealer is getting their numbers from. X51 installed was like $14k plus tax (I used Suncoast). Kit used to go for for as low as $9k, they charged me like $4k for install - and there was like $1k in misc (I opted for 20k service as I recall, fluids, extra parts needed, etc.). Even at the stated price today of $11k for the kit, I think you would be at $16k installed. Good luck!

Last edited by Dom991.1; 09-14-2017 at 02:33 AM. Reason: used dollar sign inadvertantly on a number indicating mileage
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW, forgot to mention that I sold the parts that came OFF the engine for like $2.7k (took a while to find a buyer for the heads, cams went reasonably quickly, front bumper protector where third radiator goes, engine appearance cover, etc.), so, technically cost was more like $11.3k. Plus, I had 17k miles on motor and, although it didn't NEED it, it was essentially a 'rebuild/refresh' of block/pistons. I was there everyday to watch progress and take photos. It was neat....😀 Been like 18 months now? Runs awesome!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Performance exhaust system - who makes it?
2. Performance intake system - who makes it?
3. Performance tune - who makes it and tunes it?
4. Performance high flow filters - who makes it?

And did they provide warranty coverage assurance in writing assuming all the 'who's above are not Porsche OEM ?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
1. Performance exhaust system - who makes it?
2. Performance intake system - who makes it?
3. Performance tune - who makes it and tunes it?
4. Performance high flow filters - who makes it?

And did they provide warranty coverage assurance in writing assuming all the 'who's above are not Porsche OEM ?
Get it in writing from the dealer then independently run it by Porsche just to confirm. A bit of belt and suspenders, I know, but one would rather know now than possibly be surprised later.

Just sayin'.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 AM
lagodue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Get it in writing from the dealer then independently run it by Porsche just to confirm. A bit of belt and suspenders, I know, but one would rather know now than possibly be surprised later.

Just sayin'.
Another data point - independent, highly-regarded speed shop in CT says:
We can install a full exhaust system, intake plenum, air filters and custom tune that will get the car up to the 445hp target for $8,715 plus tax and shipping.

Again, devil in the details about who makes the parts, dyno confirmation, warranty/CPO friendly.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din

Just sayin'.
Why from Porsche? The transaction is with the dealer. Calling Porsche to tattle will ruin the fun for more people but you already know they will have some sort of canned answer about only covering oem. Then we'll digress to someone quoting a lawsuit where they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.... all a pissing match.

If the dealer says the warranty is good, have them put it in writing.

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
BTW, forgot to mention that I sold the parts that came OFF the engine for like $2.7k (took a while to find a buyer for the heads, cams went reasonably quickly, front bumper protector where third radiator goes, engine appearance cover, etc.), so, technically cost was more like $11.3k. Plus, I had 17k miles on motor and, although it didn't NEED it, it was essentially a 'rebuild/refresh' of block/pistons. I was there everyday to watch progress and take photos. It was neat....😀 Been like 18 months now? Runs awesome!
Was there a noticeable difference in sound and or performance?

Did you have pse?

Originally Posted by lagodue
Another data point - independent, highly-regarded speed shop in CT says:
We can install a full exhaust system, intake plenum, air filters and custom tune that will get the car up to the 445hp target for $8,715 plus tax and shipping.

Again, devil in the details about who makes the parts, dyno confirmation, warranty/CPO friendly.
If you are looking for power, sub out headers with the exhaust.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Why from Porsche? The transaction is with the dealer. Calling Porsche to tattle will ruin the fun for more people but you already know they will have some sort of canned answer about only covering oem. Then we'll digress to someone quoting a lawsuit where they have to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.... all a pissing match.

If the dealer says the warranty is good, have them put it in writing.
Above the OP states, "Will not affect your Porsche Warranty or CPO Warranty." If that statement is true, then Porsche should not have any problems with affirming it. Sometimes salesmen exaggerate, sometimes they miscommunicate. Sometimes we misunderstand. It's not tattling and starting a pissing match, it's performing due diligence in order to protect oneself. At least, that how I approach it.

Others will argue that it's a bridge too far. That's ok too.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Even if the dealer's +45 hp claim were legit (which it likely isn't. They're probably adding up the claimed gains from the individual parts, and it doesn't work thay way), the way it would make that power would be by increasing the current power peak where it is, not a delicious extension at the end of the RPM band with a later peak like X51 gives you. So get the X51 because it's much better.

Quick Reply: X51 vs. Dealers's Homebrew