Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have slightly misaligned window trim (at the seam)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Anybody have slightly misaligned window trim (at the seam)?

File this under "nitpicky" and it's really not a big deal as it doesn't bother me much, but I noticed on the passenger side, the black plastic window trim is slightly misaligned at the seam above the quarter window (the very edge of the rear side sticks out a bit while the edge of front side is properly tight). Compare this to the drivers side where the trim is perfectly lined up at the seam and you can run your finger over it with no obstruction.

Wondering if this is normal behavior and since my CPO warranty runs out next year, if it's worth getting it replaced (if they'd honor it). Sometimes getting something cosmetic fixed can create other issues, so I'm debating if I should just deal with it, or get it taken care of.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 AM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

My car seems to have the same as well - perfect on driver side. On passenger door trim seems to be every so slightly lower than the small window trim. Also curious if this is normal?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by shake1
My car seems to have the same as well - perfect on driver side. On passenger door trim seems to be every so slightly lower than the small window trim. Also curious if this is normal?
I have a feeling it's probably "normal." I tried pushing the slightly sticking out side in a bit to see if it had something to "latch" to but it doesn't. Question is if it bugs us enough to get them to tear it off and replace with a new piece (then try to convince them to put a new piece on the side that joins with it so they match precisely in newness and color).
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Slight vertical misalignment on my car, passenger side, trim is firmly set in place and cannot be moved:

IMO driver side looks better:

I've noticed some Tesla X's have a door handle misalignment problem, with front handle vertically misaligned with respect to rear by ~0.5 to 1cm.

From Porsche: "Optical digitalisation: The quality of body parts is checked quickly and precisely using special optical technology. Every component is fully digitalised and measured in three dimensions. Up to 16 million points are recorded per scan, enabling the entire component geometry to be extensively plotted in a high-resolution point cloud. In the quality assurance process, deviations between each individual body point and the CAD data can be determined in the minimum amount of time. Using the digitalised measurement data, the deviations are also visualised precisely in an all-over 3D representation."

Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 PM
K-A
Drifting

Interesting. On mine, the part that's misaligned sticks out a bit and can be pushed in, but it won't stay and just "springs" back out.

Originally Posted by asia
Slight vertical misalignment on my car, passenger side, trim is firmly set in place and cannot be moved:

IMO driver side looks better:

I've noticed some Tesla X's have a door handle misalignment problem, with front handle vertically misaligned with respect to rear by ~0.5 to 1cm.

From Porsche: "Optical digitalisation: The quality of body parts is checked quickly and precisely using special optical technology. Every component is fully digitalised and measured in three dimensions. Up to 16 million points are recorded per scan, enabling the entire component geometry to be extensively plotted in a high-resolution point cloud. In the quality assurance process, deviations between each individual body point and the CAD data can be determined in the minimum amount of time. Using the digitalised measurement data, the deviations are also visualised precisely in an all-over 3D representation."

Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Airandwater
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Common problem. Probably not worth fixing. http://plenums.blogspot.ca/search?q=window+trim
The following users liked this post:
socalcarguy (08-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Anybody have slightly misaligned window trim (at the seam)?