Sponsored by:

Leather option confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
If I may add something to this excellent thread....

I ordered my GTS today. The "Transmission Tunnel in Leather" option is depicted here--pics stolen, then VERY amateurishly highlighted. There is a seam that lines up with the rear end of the luggage net....I thought maybe this option covered the portion forward of the seam. In fact, it's that AND the entire piece all the way back to where the "rear tunnel cover" starts.

This was confirmed directly from Atlanta today during my time at the dealer. Also, this option isn't available until builds after 11/6/17 (dealer config tool had a little clock and warning depicted). So depending on when your allocation start date falls, this may affect your decision. My date allowed me to select this, but I wouldn't have even known to ask the question except for this thread!

I also chose to eliminate the door panel leather (3 tiny pieces mentioned in posts above--really only TWO pieces if you chose LCA!!) thanks to this thread.

Thanks for the heads up!
Very cool, thanks for that info!! And a fellow MS Paint user, I see! I find it amusing that Porsche calls it a transmission tunnel even though their rear and mid-engined cars with RWD would have absolutely nothing relating to the transmission that far forward in the tunnel, lol. I was looking at my own car and I too thought this option might have pertained only to the upward-arching segment that begins around the luggage net, but if it's the whole piece, I guess that's a bit more value. Then again, I can't say I've ever really looked down there, except when I've dropped my phone in the gap between the seat and center console!

Why does LCA affect the door panel in leather option? Is the camera and/or warning indicator placed in that little triangle at the top of the door rather than on the side mirror?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by evilfij
The easiest way to see what is what for a lot of the options is to download the 3D configurator and select leather to sample and then add the leather parts one by one and you can see what you get as the parts turn green. Clicking on the close up and then toggling back and forth shows you with and without.

It does not work for all parts because some are not available with LTS, but for most it does and the ones it does not are pretty obvious.

On a normal leather car, I don't think any of them other than the leather package itself are that dramatic. Maybe sport seat plus backs in leather. Otherwise, you are basically replacing smaller plastic parts of the same color with leather covered parts. On an LTS order with a special colored leather they do make a big difference in some cases.
I agree that the 3D configurator is helpful, but it does have its limits. For example, you don't have a totally free camera that allows you to set any position, orientation, and zoom level you wish. Yes, there are the options to zoom into an area that is changing as a result of an option, but for things like door panels in leather, you wouldn't see most of what changes there. You'd also miss some of the aspects of "Extended Interior, Dashboard Trim in Leather" since the zoom feature only chooses one area of interest, so options that affect multiple areas would not be accurately displayed. And you would miss most or all of the leather changes that affect the rear area, since it's very hard to get a good view of the rear from the 3D configurator.

As for the value of changing plastic to leather when you have black leather, I've found that it has a noticeably different visual texture that makes black plastic and black leather easily distinguishable, especially when they're next to each other with options like the instrument surround, steering column, or extended dashboard in leather. And of course many of these leather options include stitching, which adds some visual appeal even if you're not getting deviating stitching and quite a bit more if you are. On the other hand, these leather options get expensive, so the more you can satisfy yourself with black plastic, the better.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:19 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Why does LCA affect the door panel in leather option? Is the camera and/or warning indicator placed in that little triangle at the top of the door rather than on the side mirror?

That is exactly correct. With LCA, you can't change that little triangle to anything....no leather, CF, Alcan. The indicator lights are there, not in the mirror.

As to the plastic/ leather aspect.....you've pointed out the texture difference when choosing black leather. But if you choose other colors, I do not think there is a corresponding plastic for each leather color. I asked specifically about Agate Grey matching plastic and was told it will be black. (The "Airbag" cover on the door panel for example) . Just more FYI for the thread.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:32 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
As to the plastic/ leather aspect.....you've pointed out the texture difference when choosing black leather. But if you choose other colors, I do not think there is a corresponding plastic for each leather color. I asked specifically about Agate Grey matching plastic and was told it will be black. (The "Airbag" cover on the door panel for example) . Just more FYI for the thread.
That's true, but there are more plastic colors than just black. I know for example that there's a brown/beige plastic to match that leather color, but I doubt they have plastic to match their red and blue leather options, if those are still even available. The configurator would show this, of course.

The value proposition of leather certainly goes up if you're using leather colors that don't have a matching plastic color, which I think was the previous poster's point with Leather To Sample (as long as you don't end up having to choose between having plastic and feeling you're going overboard with your chosen leather color aesthetically, I suppose), but my point was merely that even in the "minimal difference" case of black plastic vs black leather, there's still a case to be made for adding leather.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree 100%

I spent an absurd amount of money on leather and thread today....and I'd do it again. 👍🏼

Quick Reply: Leather option confusion