Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions re Used 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and insight. Such a quick responding group of people.

I haven't done any maintenance myself on my S3 because I have Audi Care or whatever they call it, but I am a DYI'er and would be, at the very least, be doing my own oil changes. My biggest concern at the moment is the depreciation of the car, as it seems like these cars are quite reliable cars so long as they are maintained. My quest will continue, and I will let you guys (and gals) know what I end up doing once my lease runs (or I find a deal that's too good to pass up on).
Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I have a Golf R as a daily driver, so identical drivetrain to your S3.

My forthcoming 991.1S won't be my daily driver, but I do plan to drive it most nice days during the summer.

I did a fair bit of research on maintenance costs before making the purchase and honestly once you factor in DSG and haldex fluid changes the S3/Golf R are not the cheapest to maintain, either. That said, the 911 has some pricey maintenance every 2 and 4 years. Overall, I'd anticipate an extra 3-5k in maintenance and tires over 5 years vs your S3.
​​​​​​
Old 09-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Jus2626
Intermediate

Question:

I have a bit of a dilemma and wanted to see what you guys think. Would you prefer to go CPO on a base 991 or get an S model from Carmax? Both cars being the same price with the base having around 30k miles on it and the S around 40k
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus2626
Question:

I have a bit of a dilemma and wanted to see what you guys think. Would you prefer to go CPO on a base 991 or get an S model from Carmax? Both cars being the same price with the base having around 30k miles on it and the S around 40k
S.... but it depends on the other options and condition.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

>First, how reliable are these cars?

Very. The little stuff will annoy you, maybe a squeak, maybe a stupid vacuum valve (COV), maybe a door panel warping... But nothing inherently expensive hanging over your head like an engine design flaw or an early 997 IMS...

> I will be driving around 15k miles a year and am looking for something that can would be able to take the millage.

They love to be driven !

>Second, how is the residual on these cars? KBB says around 20k.

That seems *crazy* to me... I have not seen any 100K mi 991 FS but if they were $20K I'd buy 3 of them tomorrow. High mileage 991? I'd guess $40K based on what i see for 997.1 and .2... 20K? Really? Send them my way please - I need a track car ! if i read this wrong and you mean $20K drop in value from 20 to 100K miles, then yes. That's not bad for putting all those miles though.

>Third and lastly, how expensive is the maintenance on these cars?

How handy are you ? Super easy car to do maintenance on, the "drop the bumper" thing is not required for oil or plug changes and it is easy to do... Even my independent porsche mechanics now change >$100 per hour these days so the dealer is not that bad... Again lots you can do yourself.

>All in all, I am excited to be considering my first Porsche and just wanted to do my due diligence before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance.

Pull... If you can try to get something with the sports exhaust. S vs on S is not as big a deal to me, both are plenty of fun. CPO is a great idea for peace of mind.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Greg D.
>First, how reliable are these cars?

Very. The little stuff will annoy you, maybe a squeak, maybe a stupid vacuum valve (COV), maybe a door panel warping... But nothing inherently expensive hanging over your head like an engine design flaw or an early 997 IMS...

> I will be driving around 15k miles a year and am looking for something that can would be able to take the millage.

They love to be driven !

>Second, how is the residual on these cars? KBB says around 20k.

That seems *crazy* to me... I have not seen any 100K mi 991 FS but if they were $20K I'd buy 3 of them tomorrow. High mileage 991? I'd guess $40K based on what i see for 997.1 and .2... 20K? Really? Send them my way please - I need a track car ! if i read this wrong and you mean $20K drop in value from 20 to 100K miles, then yes. That's not bad for putting all those miles though.

>Third and lastly, how expensive is the maintenance on these cars?

How handy are you ? Super easy car to do maintenance on, the "drop the bumper" thing is not required for oil or plug changes and it is easy to do... Even my independent porsche mechanics now change >$100 per hour these days so the dealer is not that bad... Again lots you can do yourself.

>All in all, I am excited to be considering my first Porsche and just wanted to do my due diligence before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance.

Pull... If you can try to get something with the sports exhaust. S vs on S is not as big a deal to me, both are plenty of fun. CPO is a great idea for peace of mind.

Many prefer the base to the S since the base 3.4 revs a little more freely.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Would you prefer to go CPO on a base 991 or get an S model from Carmax?
The S is significantly better than the base, but there's a lot of missing information here. Generally to estimate pricing, people here want photos, the VIN, and a CarFax (or similar repair history) link. A list of options is good too, since it saves time looking them up from the VIN.

The Hot For Sale thread has a lot of information about pricing used 991.1's, but tends to be a bit, uhm, hostile to newcomers for some reason. Post less than the full information I listed above, and they'll tend to jump all over you.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Question:

Carmax actually also offers a pretty good warranty that can rival with the CPO if you choose to buy it. Refer to the jalopnik writer buying an Aston martin and Range rover from carmax and positively bankrupting them with repairs, all paid for, no questions!

So it's not really apples to apples. S is probably a better resale and a little more power. Personally I'd get the Base car with CPO and blissfully pay nothing for 4 years but that's just me. For older caymans/boxsters you needed the S. For the 991 I'm perfectly cool with a base. Up to you !
Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My advice is to not settle for colors or options that aren't perfect to save a few bucks. You'll forget about the money, but having the wrong car will gnaw on your soul forever.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Carmax actually also offers a pretty good warranty that can rival with the CPO if you choose to buy it. Refer to the jalopnik writer buying an Aston martin and Range rover from carmax and positively bankrupting them with repairs, all paid for, no questions!

So it's not really apples to apples. S is probably a better resale and a little more power. Personally I'd get the Base car with CPO and blissfully pay nothing for 4 years but that's just me. For older caymans/boxsters you needed the S. For the 991 I'm perfectly cool with a base. Up to you !

Checkout the Hot For Sale thread. There's a Lime Green 991 for sale at Carmax. It has been reduced $20k since being listed....

Buy the best and newest P car you can afford. Know the options, understand the maintenance costs and realize that avg mileage on these cars is low. A 3yr old car with 30k miles is not a "low mileage" car.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The S is significantly better than the base, but there's a lot of missing information here. Generally to estimate pricing, people here want photos, the VIN, and a CarFax (or similar repair history) link. A list of options is good too, since it saves time looking them up from the VIN.

The Hot For Sale thread has a lot of information about pricing used 991.1's, but tends to be a bit, uhm, hostile to newcomers for some reason. Post less than the full information I listed above, and they'll tend to jump all over you.
Oh Gus,

You're very welcome at HFS

Obviously you can understand the need to consistency and being thorough
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Oh Gus,

You're very welcome at HFS

Obviously you can understand the need to consistency and being thorough

I feel very welcomed at HFS. It's like my brother from another mother.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series

I feel very welcomed at HFS. It's like my brother from another mother.

Yeah, just a little brotherly roughing up sometimes. At the end of the day, we're all family.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, just a little brotherly roughing up sometimes. At the end of the day, we're all family.
unless you like the #2 cars,..... we all know who is #1!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM
rckimbrell
3rd Gear

I have a 2013 991.1 C4S which is a CPO. Not including depreciation, average annual repair & maintenance is estimated at approximately $2,000 for service (minor and major), tires, and detailing for 5 years under CPO. If you stay within the segment, you can fare well on depreciation if you make the right deals. Just the cost of the experience in owning these type performance cars.

Quick Reply: Questions re Used 991