Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantara mystique?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:03 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can clean Alcantara and bring it back when it starts to look bad. It is a synthetic material so scrubbing it doesnt really hurt.

Sonax has an Alcantara cleaner that I saw used and it took a wheel that was smooth and shiny and brought back the new look to the material and pulled out all kinds of gunk and crud onto the cloth. Worked pretty good.

http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-alcantara-cleaner1.html
Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I wasn't sure how I would like it. I had full leather in my 997 GTS, and all previous 997 and 991 911's, and really liked that. But the GTS Interior Package on the 991 GTS is so nice, that I decided to give it a try. I love the Alcantara in my 2015 GTS. It is 2.5 years old and still looks brand new in all areas. I have PDK, so I don't use the shifter much compared to a manual.

Very happy with my choice and if I was buying another GTS, I would make the same decision and go with the GTS Interior Package. If I was not going with the GTS Interior Package, I am not sure what interior I would choose. I hate the cheap plastic/vinyl dash in the standard interior, so I might have to choose full leather over the standard GTS interior with the Alcantara seats and other bits and the cheap dash.

I am assuming the 991.2 GTS has the same cheap standard dash as the 991.1 GTS.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Alcantara has Motorsports lineage, especially for Porsche. For those that are interested in emphasizing that aspect of owning a Porsche (count me in), Alcantara makes a statement in addition to it's physical properties.
Fairly certain that Porsche doesn't put alcantara on the dash, doors, glove box, etc. of their race cars. Alcantara on the seat centers makes sense and looks good. What looks goofy and has no purpose is slathering it all over the interior of a sports car.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Alcantara has Motorsports lineage, especially for Porsche. For those that are interested in emphasizing that aspect of owning a Porsche (count me in), Alcantara makes a statement in addition to it's physical properties.
Uh, pretty sure leather has a MUCH greater motorsport lineage with Porsche than Alcantara. As in 917, 934, 935, and much, much more. Same could be said for wood, in fact.

For those that see their Porsche as more of a 'Grand Tourer' leather is certainly more of an appropriate choice. Those people generally also order automatic transmissions and sunroofs in their cars. Good for them.
Wha??? I like Ruf CTRs and GT3s and all kinds of "hardcore" cars, but spec'd leather wheel and shifter in my GT4 and would have probably deleted the Alcantara seats if I could have.

Their is no right or wrong way to spec out your personal dream car, but disparaging someone else's idea of what is 'right or wrong' reflects insecurity in your own choice.
Here we agree...

I like Nick Murray, but he drives around with a dog in the front seat and a stuffed gorilla in the back seat. He's looking at the world through his own particular lens.
Haha. Love this. And pretty sure he'd agree with you.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:01 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Uh, pretty sure leather has a MUCH greater motorsport lineage with Porsche than Alcantara. As in 917, 934, 935, and much, much more. Same could be said for wood, in fact.
They do not use leather in their racing cars.

Suede (which is technically leather, but what Alcantara mimics) has been used for decades on steering wheels and seats in racing cars.

They also use similar materials on dash boards and instrument surrounds to keep down glare.

I think what he was eluding to is that racing cars do not have nice fancy leather with deviated stitching all over them. When they do use leather, they used suede, which is like Alcantara. So if you want a racing car like feel to your sports car, yo would spec it with Alcantara in many places rather than fancy soft leather as it has a much more race inspired look.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Alcantara provides grip - seats and steering wheel, has great sound deadening qualities - headliner.

Yes it can get dirty at grip points, as can leather. Alcantara, clean with a small amount of detergent and warm water - looks like new. Unfortunately, leather in a well used car ages very quickly and no amount of polish/protector/cleaner will bring it back.

I have Alcantara in the GTS and leather in the S. The GTS is 18 months old, the S is 9 months old - both cars are used extensively (including track time). The interior in the GTS has held up much better.

Quick Reply: Alcantara mystique?