Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantara mystique?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to say - I don't mind it on the seats. But I hate it on the steering wheel and shifter - in fact when I ordered my car, I made sure to get the brushed aluminum shift **** to guarantee leather ****/boot/wheel
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

LEATHER = OVERRATED

Sorry. Just because it comes from an animal doesn't make it better. I used to not like Alcantara before I actually tried it. Its an acquired taste, like fine bourbon, but once you appreciate it it makes leather seem like Absolut Vodka. Better texture. Better grip. And, IMO, looks better on certain parts of the car like steering wheel and seat center.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never understood the fascination with leather. I've had alcantara on numerous cars, going all the way back to my B5 Audi S4. I would never choose leather if alcantara was an option.

All alcantara in my Performante. Love it.
Attached Images   

Last edited by PbPedis; 09-07-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

You "leather is inferior to Alcantara" guys should watch that Nick Murray video. The wear he shows and an Alcantara wheel and shifter are quite ugly. I was on the fence about whether Alcantara was acceptable prior to watching that, now I'm not.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Folks should have their car the way they want it. However, Alcantara is literally plastic.

I like the look of it as a headliner material but beyond that, nope.
Same here. I just don't like the feel of the texture at all. As headliner, I don't touch/feel it so that's fine.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:14 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a Cayman GTS and spec'ed that with alcantara delete (except for alcantara headliner) and got full leather at no extra cost (good deal!) The problem I have with the leather is that it is so processed it might as well be quality synthetic material. I honestly have trouble appreciating what is leather and what is synthetic. I recently ordered a Carrera GTS and went with the standard interior, including alcantara seat middle and leather GT steering wheel. Hope I won't be disappointed.

PS do the 991.2 GTS models come with alcantara head liner as standard? I hope so.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
You "leather is inferior to Alcantara" guys should watch that Nick Murray video. The wear he shows and an Alcantara wheel and shifter are quite ugly. I was on the fence about whether Alcantara was acceptable prior to watching that, now I'm not.
Yeah, you don't want it on the steering wheel.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

If Alcantara is creepy to you, you'll really be creeped out when find out where leather comes from.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
LEATHER = OVERRATED

Sorry. Just because it comes from an animal doesn't make it better.
That's a bizarre comment. I don't recall seeing an opinion in this thread about leather being better because it was made from an animal. Did I miss it?

I don't like leather better because it comes from an animal. I like it better because I think it looks better, feels better, smells better, and wears better than other options.

The good news for Porsche buyers is that you don't have to pick one or the other. You have options.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The interior of that Lambo reminds me of the van in Dumb and Dumber.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:35 PM
famous shoes
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Alcantara reminds me of the crushed velour interior in my father's sedans from the 1970s, not good memories for the most part. I'm not a fan to say the least.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Prefer leather, generally, but see some advantages to Alcantara.

Its high-grip makes it a great call for steering wheels if longterm aesthetics aren't much of an issue (track car, race car...and I can even kind of like the worn out look it gets in that context). Shifters...I am less convinced, but then they do match. Its properties make it a smart call for dash tops, as there should be little if any glare or reflection. If I was redoing my 914 as a track car, the forward dash would almost certainly become Alcantara, and this is an area where Porsche could pay some more attention to. I see too many dash elements in the windshield too much of the time in the 981/991 era especially, and it only gets worse as dash tops get deeper and deeper. So I can see it as a perfectly fine addition to the offerings and options—as long as one understands what they are buying (and getting). Ditto for leather.

What I am really interested in these days is Sport-Tex. Almost ordered it, and came very close. I wonder how it will age (seems very tough), and how it will do on the second-hand market in terms of desirability.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:47 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

68% polyester and 32% polyurethane

^^^^ This ^^^^^

All man-made polyester products pill over time, that's why Alcantara can look worn and gamey over time. Friction rubs is what causes the deterioration.

Leather, properly cared for, will last 4 x longer. Most people don't take care of their leather and then complain when it cracks out.

Suede and Alcantara are used in race cars, because its comfortable and provides grip. Racing teams are not concerned about longevity, they replace all worn parts on a regular basis.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
[B]Suede and Alcantara are used in race cars, because its comfortable and provides grip. Racing teams are not concerned about longevity, they replace all worn parts on a regular basis.
Alcantara has Motorsports lineage, especially for Porsche. For those that are interested in emphasizing that aspect of owning a Porsche (count me in), Alcantara makes a statement in addition to it's physical properties.

For those that see their Porsche as more of a 'Grand Tourer' leather is certainly more of an appropriate choice. Those people generally also order automatic transmissions and sunroofs in their cars. Good for them. Their is no right or wrong way to spec out your personal dream car, but disparaging someone else's idea of what is 'right or wrong' reflects insecurity in your own choice.

I like Nick Murray, but he drives around with a dog in the front seat and a stuffed gorilla in the back seat. He's looking at the world through his own particular lens.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

What I am really interested in these days is Sport-Tex. Almost ordered it, and came very close. I wonder how it will age (seems very tough), and how it will do on the second-hand market in terms of desirability.
I, too, am very interested in hearing more abut this, as this option gives deviated stitching without an up-charge. Particularly wondering about its hardiness.

Quick Reply: Alcantara mystique?