I finally did it! TechArt Type II Wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Dude.. I LOVE that color! Stunning.
Thank you... as are all the cars in this thread. I should have my TechArt Rear Wing II back from the painter in a couple of days....

So, where is a pic of yours?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Thank you... as are all the cars in this thread. I should have my TechArt Rear Wing II back from the painter in a couple of days....

So, where is a pic of yours?
Definitely post up some pics after you get it on the car.

My car is currently its hiding in the garage as Irma rolls through ATL.

Just a quick snap the other day after I got it, no wing yet.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Finally got the TechArt Wing II painted to match in Sapphire Blue Metallic. Trying to find a block of time to install. May have to be next weekend.... Guessing I'll need 4+ hours.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, Anxiously waiting the out come.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Finally got the TechArt Wing II painted to match in Sapphire Blue Metallic. Trying to find a block of time to install. May have to be next weekend.... Guessing I'll need 4+ hours.

When and if you get stuck on the third brake wiring, send me a pm.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

There is no problem so sophisticated, so technologically advanced, that it can not be solved with brute strength and ignorance. Stevie 77 930, was kind enough to spend 4.5 hour with me working on this install until we reached an impasse well above my pay grade. After disassembly of the car and assembly of the Wing, we could not get it to seat properly on the car. Slept on it for a night and called a friend's independent Porsche mechanic willing to make a house call since the car was already apart. He brought his assistant and it took another three hours of cutting, bending, grinding and shaving to make it fit properly. So, if you're thinking of this as a DIY, be very experienced. After all that, I like it. Another grey day in LA:

Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

There is no problem so sophisticated, so technologically advanced, that it can not be solved with brute strength and ignorance. Stevie 77 930, was kind enough to spend 4.5 hour with me working on this install until we reached an impasse well above my pay grade. After disassembly of the car and assembly of the Wing, we could not get it to seat properly on the car. Slept on it for a night and called a friend's independent Porsche mechanic willing to make a house call since the car was already apart. He brought his assistant and it took another three hours of cutting, bending, grinding and shaving to make it fit properly. So, if you're thinking of this as a DIY, be very experienced. After all that, I like it. Another grey day in LA:

Congrats on the new wing, it turned out AWESOME! It makes the car look so much more aggressive. I also really like the scoops on the .2 version
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow that looks awesome. Makes me rethink my choice of baby duck. Any plans for front spoiler?
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im thinking I am definitely doing this now.

What exactly required refitting/modifying/etc? Was it on the wing itself or other components on the car?

I'm pretty competent and was planning on doing this myself, but you have me rethinking it if there's extensive modifications required to get proper fitment in addition to the basic installation.

One would think that a wing that cost ~3.5k would have perfect fitment straight out of the box. Is the second piece of the wing supports that attaches to the wing itself painted black or is that just the way the pictures came out?

Congrats! Car looks great!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That wing looks really good ! Congrats on the final fit.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:00 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Wow that looks awesome. Makes me rethink my choice of baby duck. Any plans for front spoiler?
I think the GTS aero front spoiler looks fine. So, no on the Techart Front Spoiler. The front of this car is higher than my last and I'm enjoying not having to worry about is so much. (No front axle lift needed).

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Im thinking I am definitely doing this now.

What exactly required refitting/modifying/etc? Was it on the wing itself or other components on the car?

I'm pretty competent and was planning on doing this myself, but you have me rethinking it if there's extensive modifications required to get proper fitment in addition to the basic installation.

One would think that a wing that cost ~3.5k would have perfect fitment straight out of the box. Is the second piece of the wing supports that attaches to the wing itself painted black or is that just the way the pictures came out?

Congrats! Car looks great!
I would not call anything we did "extensive" but the base had to be shaved where it contacted the car. Aftermarket pieces are just not OEM. There is also a bracket (one on each side) on the stock spoiler lift mechanism that had to be bent just so per the instructions (and one not in the instructions). The instructions are translated from German and likely lost a few things in that translation. It was not clear always which hardware to use during assembly and the bolts used to affix the wing to the base were missing altogether. Obviously nothing insurmountable but when you're no mechanic and it's your baby, it's stressful. Pulled the fuse for the spoiler motor (Driver's side fuse panel, Row C, #5 from left) and have an appointment with the dealer to reprogram the car to tell it there is a fixed spoiler....

Yes, support piece is black and part of the hardware. It's hard rubber and probably not to be painted. I may wrap the wing itself in black at some point but either way, I like the look. Very little obstruction of the rear view, btw.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

The Techart Type II spoiler is awesome!

As others have said, its a great fitting spoiler, but does take some time to finesse. There is some pretty good adjustment room to make everything line up well.

As far as a front spoiler, I have the Spasm spoiler on my car as well. Have had the car up to 160mph on a local racetrack, with no negative handling or stability concerns. The car felt very well planted, especially entering a banked nascar corner and holding speed in excess of 130-140mph.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprchng
The Techart Type II spoiler is awesome!

As others have said, its a great fitting spoiler, but does take some time to finesse. There is some pretty good adjustment room to make everything line up well.

As far as a front spoiler, I have the Spasm spoiler on my car as well. Have had the car up to 160mph on a local racetrack, with no negative handling or stability concerns. The car felt very well planted, especially entering a banked nascar corner and holding speed in excess of 130-140mph.

Great feedback! Was your car at SoCal euro event the other weekend? If so, I was admiring it while I was there. The wheels make the car look very unique, and the stance and wing were a perfect combo.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:59 AM
tuan0604
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's so cool , how do you think about it?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Great feedback! Was your car at SoCal euro event the other weekend? If so, I was admiring it while I was there. The wheels make the car look very unique, and the stance and wing were a perfect combo.
Thank you! Yes, it was the in the GIAC booth at SoCal Euro.

Quick Reply: I finally did it! TechArt Type II Wing