Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are "burnt" smelling rear brakes a "911 thing?" & cold start "stuttery" drivetrain...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017 | 10:01 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
Whoa that is interesting. I didn't think I had to adjust my driving style with PTV+. I do like to coast (is what you mean by drifting, or do you mean getting the back out? As I haven't done that yet, still learning he dynamics of the rear engine configuration) through corners when going downhill especially.

Any cliffs notes on proper procedure when driving with PTV+? Thanks.
First: This isn't a PTV thing as much as it's a 'how to corner a rear engine car' thing. Your coasting isn't as bad as lifting (assuming the car is settled when you coast, if not you are lifting) but if the car ever wants to go into a spin because the rear end isn't hooked up, PTV will intervene.

Second: This may not apply to you. You will know if it does by monitoring your rear brakes. If you are driving your car well while aggressive you will go through front brakes 2:1 over rears (I've even gotten 3:1), if you are replacing the rears with the fronts then PTV is intervening. When I was first tracking my car I was replacing all four at the same time with more wear on the rears than the fronts (the rears were down to the backing plate )

Third: It's hard to know where it will kick in. Note that PTV intervenes way before PSM saves your bacon (and the light comes on). PTV and PSM do very little when PSM is turned off (I figured this out through experimenting, in fact that's how I get 3:1 front to rear brake changes).

Wrap up - If you know you are chewing through your rear brakes then take a class to learn how to drive the car, this will be on a track (i.e. HPDC, HPDE, PDX, etc.). If you REALLY want to learn how to drive the car, learn how to drive without the nannies (PSM).
Old 09-06-2017 | 11:22 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
First: This isn't a PTV thing as much as it's a 'how to corner a rear engine car' thing. Your coasting isn't as bad as lifting (assuming the car is settled when you coast, if not you are lifting) but if the car ever wants to go into a spin because the rear end isn't hooked up, PTV will intervene.

Second: This may not apply to you. You will know if it does by monitoring your rear brakes. If you are driving your car well while aggressive you will go through front brakes 2:1 over rears (I've even gotten 3:1), if you are replacing the rears with the fronts then PTV is intervening. When I was first tracking my car I was replacing all four at the same time with more wear on the rears than the fronts (the rears were down to the backing plate )

Third: It's hard to know where it will kick in. Note that PTV intervenes way before PSM saves your bacon (and the light comes on). PTV and PSM do very little when PSM is turned off (I figured this out through experimenting, in fact that's how I get 3:1 front to rear brake changes).

Wrap up - If you know you are chewing through your rear brakes then take a class to learn how to drive the car, this will be on a track (i.e. HPDC, HPDE, PDX, etc.). If you REALLY want to learn how to drive the car, learn how to drive without the nannies (PSM).
Thanks. I think I may have to as learning the dynamics of a rear engine car during aggressive driving has been like re learning a new driving language in general.

When you say "lifting," do you mean not being on the gas during a corner? As in that's not proper rear engine driving style? I usually only coast through turns on downhills (so as to save my brakes, so little gas, little brakes). If it's describable, I'd love a cliffs notes on how to properly corner with a rear engine PTV+ car (what you shouldn't, and should do).

I'm happy the car has PTV+ as that + PASM corners excellently and well over a base suspension, base outfit car. Yet on another hand, I kind of wish it didn't have PTV+ as I still am not certain it's a nanny I need, especially if it can chew through the brakes.
Old 09-07-2017 | 09:01 AM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by budrichard
What model 911 do you have? I.e. 991.1?
What transmission?
The 'smell' you are experiencing is due to the materials used in manufacture responding to the heat buildup in the engine compartment.
If you Track your car, it is very obvious for a few times. Usually street driving is not enough to cause the 'smell'.
It has nothing to do with brakes or PTV+.-Richard
I'll try this one more time. Read my Post.
I have a 2013 981B and a 2017 C4S both purchased new by me.
Both cars exhibited the same smell after DE sessions which eventually have gone away with repeated DE sessions, at least I don't notice it anymore.
All materials exhibit odors for various reasons when heated and the engine bay of a Porsche is certainly compact and hot.
As to PTV/PTV+, it has nothing to do with any odors.
To attempt to minimize rear pad wear by altering driving is folly as the system is there to increase cornering speeds and your safety. I describe the feeling " as if the hand of God comes down and rotates your car".
I have found the rear pads wear at least twice as fast as the fronts. In a year of DE sessions, i am on my third set of rears.
As to driving technique and the oft repeated, learn to drive without the nannies.
That mantra is going the way of the MT is superior to the PDK.
When I first started DE events with a 981B/PDK, the first thing I was told was to turn OFF PSM and operate the PDK in Manual.
I refused both.
I found better Instructors. My last Instructer, an SCCA Class Champion, finnaly told me to PIT. I thought I had done something wrong, but he said, I'm queasy, your OK on your own now.
The Chicago PCA now cautions drivers to leave PSM ON during DE events.
ACC has been adressed but the organizers do not know the effects of ACC during DE events but I do.
I deactivated ACC during each session because you will get a 'brake check' as warning for being to close to another vehicle. I forgot to deactivate during one DE session last year and got a 'brake' check' at 135 mph on the back straight of Road America. I also have installed a block in front of the ACC sensor to prevent damage from hitting cones which actually auto solved the problem. The system detects the ACC sensor is blocked and automatically deactivates the system!
All cars with ACC should install a block for DE events.
PM me if want to know how much it costs to replace and cal your ACC sensor!
Porsche has spent a lot of Engineering time and money develping these systems to allow safer driving at the speeds these vehicles are capable of, unless you are a Professional or Semi-Pro driver, use all the help you can get.

As to Cosmoline. No Porsche Dealers use Cosmoline.
-Richard

Last edited by budrichard; 09-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2017 | 09:51 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Richard - Not knowing what run group you are in you may find that balancing the car results in better laps. While PTV tolerates throttle steering it really doesn't like trail brake oversteering. It's frustrating when the car won't rotate as you want it to.

I came from a 996. When I got the 991 I first learned how to drive it fast and find the edge, then I learned how to drive it without the nannies - my lap times dropped. Then when I went back to the nannies I found my rear brakes outlasted my fronts! This was due to learning how to balance the car without relying on computer intervention. Also, going back to the nannies let me see exactly where they were holding me back - high speed trail braking and threshold to trail brake oversteer (like a tight corner after a long straight). This is good information to know, understand, and feel for your HP driving tool bag.

Last weekend we were at VIR, two days of rain, one day of sunshine. I leave the nannies on during the rain (and my rear brakes did surprisingly well) and then turn them off in the dry. Nice to have those options.
Old 09-07-2017 | 10:01 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Richard - Not knowing what run group you are in you may find that balancing the car results in better laps. While PTV tolerates throttle steering it really doesn't like trail brake oversteering. It's frustrating when the car won't rotate as you want it to.

I came from a 996. When I got the 991 I first learned how to drive it fast and find the edge, then I learned how to drive it without the nannies - my lap times dropped. Then when I went back to the nannies I found my rear brakes outlasted my fronts! This was due to learning how to balance the car without relying on computer intervention. Also, going back to the nannies let me see exactly where they were holding me back - high speed trail braking and threshold to trail brake oversteer (like a tight corner after a long straight). This is good information to know, understand, and feel for your HP driving tool bag.

Last weekend we were at VIR, two days of rain, one day of sunshine. I leave the nannies on during the rain (and my rear brakes did surprisingly well) and then turn them off in the dry. Nice to have those options.
The "car not liking trail braking" explains a LOT. I have a tendency to trail brake (as I have learned with the 911). When I turn the car properly (brake before a turn, gas through the turn) this thing handles better than anything I've driven. When I trail brake, the mix of rear engine pendulum and PTV+ not liking it (which I have now learned) makes it handle almost sloppily (exaggerating, but the car feels unsettled). Different than the 718 S I drove which was fine with trail braking (no PTV+ yet didn't match the 911's grip and stability when achieving a proper turn). The 718 gave a lot of leeway, yet lacked the tremendous grip and sharpness (when achieving said sharpness). The 911 with PTV+ is a lot less forgiving, it's more like "Pro Mode" as opposed to the 718 "Easy Mode," whereas it takes more skill, but when you master it, it feels next level.

Unless someone can state otherwise, I believe especially with PTV+, I'm going to have to train myself to not trail brake anymore.
Old 09-07-2017 | 03:28 PM
jsykes
Advanced

It does smell like a new car with oils or fluids or cosmoline burning off. My dad got a used 23k mile 991 Carrera a little over a year ago and even with moderate driving he'd come home and park it in the garage and it would smell like that.

I recently got a 981 Cayman S with the same 3.4, it has 30k miles on it and, likewise, when parking in the garage after even moderate driving, it has the same "burning" or "new car break in" kind of smell.

So with both cars having that kind of mileage, its not new stuff burning off, but it is nearly identical on both cars so it seems to be a normal Porsche smell. Though I'm not sure what its from.
Old 09-07-2017 | 06:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsykes
It does smell like a new car with oils or fluids or cosmoline burning off. My dad got a used 23k mile 991 Carrera a little over a year ago and even with moderate driving he'd come home and park it in the garage and it would smell like that.

I recently got a 981 Cayman S with the same 3.4, it has 30k miles on it and, likewise, when parking in the garage after even moderate driving, it has the same "burning" or "new car break in" kind of smell.

So with both cars having that kind of mileage, its not new stuff burning off, but it is nearly identical on both cars so it seems to be a normal Porsche smell. Though I'm not sure what its from.
Awesome, thanks for sharing and it seems consistent thus makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: Are "burnt" smelling rear brakes a "911 thing?" & cold start "stuttery" drivetrain...