Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering This Week, Undecided on Color (and a few other things)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017 | 07:44 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Originally Posted by stout
I am really into GT Silver on Black or Espresso on the 991.2, but have to say Rhodium on Graphite Blue would be stunning and super elegant. Rhodium also really works well on red leather. Had a Cayman test car in that setup for a bit and it was plain stunning. Just not sure I could live with a red interior...
I've been to a couple of dealers looking at colors over the weekend and today. Your thoughts are spot-on (though of course this all subjective). GT Silver on Black is great, but I don't want a black interior. Saw espresso today for the first time, and I think it might be great with GT Silver, but I saw it on an orange car in bad light, so I need to see it in better conditions. Rhodium and Graphite Blue/Chalk would be a good combo, I agree, but I don't think I like Rhodium as much as GT Silver. GT Silver and red is great, or better yet black/red, is great; I've seen this setup, but it is not for me.

So, I've got more dealer visits and color contemplation for another week or two. I'm also going to go to the Experience Center and see what I can do there.
Old 09-06-2017 | 07:49 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

The 4 ways and the 18 ways are the same size, just 18 has more adjustments. 14 are the way if you are a "wider" body
Old 09-06-2017 | 10:51 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Biased, but I like GT Silver. And I am even happier to discover subtle tone changes depending on the light.
Old 09-09-2017 | 10:35 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Thanks Everyone for the input. Decision made. I'm going with what I initially was drawn to: Graphite Blue with Graphite Blue/Chalk Interior. Love this combination. Spent the last few days at multiple dealers looking at different colors under all different lighting conditions, both inside and outside. Ordering this week.

I also looked very closely at GT Silver and White (Espresso/Cognac interior, brown top). Liked both colors a lot. GT Silver with black interior is simply beautiful, but I want a light interior. White is beautiful also, but for some reason I don't see myself in a white car.
Old 09-10-2017 | 04:02 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

The best thing about GT silver is that you don't need to spend hours keeping it looking clean. I'm nervous about lighter interior colors (dirt/dye-transfer/glare) since mine is a daily driver. Plus, at my age, my mid-life crisis would be oh so obvious if I was driving around in bold exterior or even interior shades. I went with boring but very lovely GT silver on black.
Old 09-10-2017 | 04:37 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

..... suggests Rhodium might be a good call for you.

The 991 interior in Graphite Blue is just plain stunning—and would be even more beautiful if complemented by Rhodium Silver with its blue hues and a dark blue top. (Only thing to watch out for with Rhodium is the curse of the bluish silver with pure silver wheels—one makes the other look bad. Thus, consider a wheel that isn't light silver. .....

Whatever you do, you're going to end up with a really nice car!

I respectfully disagree. Rhodium with light silver wheels is a great combination.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2017 | 04:46 PM
shake1
Racer

Originally Posted by fishskis
Thanks Everyone for the input. Decision made. I'm going with what I initially was drawn to: Graphite Blue with Graphite Blue/Chalk Interior. Love this combination. Spent the last few days at multiple dealers looking at different colors under all different lighting conditions, both inside and outside. Ordering this week.

I also looked very closely at GT Silver and White (Espresso/Cognac interior, brown top). Liked both colors a lot. GT Silver with black interior is simply beautiful, but I want a light interior. White is beautiful also, but for some reason I don't see myself in a white car.
Excellent choice, which wheels are you going with to complement this nice colour combo?
Old 09-11-2017 | 01:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fishskis

Congratulations! Graphite with Graphite/Chalk will be stunning. Have a friend with a Targa in this setup and it is at once visually subtle and striking.

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I respectfully disagree. Rhodium with light silver wheels is a great combination.
It's just one of those things, and definitely personal. Some may like the contrast, but I can't see enough contrast. Once I "saw it" on Polar Silver 993s, I couldn't unsee it. It looked like an Arctic Silver door on a Polar Silver car. Don't get me wrong—I love light silver wheels (!) and also love Rhodium and Polar and all manner of very light blues that tend toward silver or silvers that tend toward blue. In other words, I want to like Arctic Silver wheels on Polar Silver or Rhodium Silver Porsches. Light silver/blue is beyond beautiful to these eyes on impact-bumper 911s because the cars have black-centered Fuchs, and I like Rhodium on modern Porsches—so long as there is a good wheel option besides Arctic Silver. But it's such a matter of personal taste and what each of us sees. So the respect goes both ways!
Old 09-11-2017 | 01:45 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

It's just one of those things, and definitely personal. Some may like the contrast, but I can't see enough contrast. Once I "saw it" on Polar Silver 993s, I couldn't unsee it. It looked like an Arctic Silver door on a Polar Silver car. Don't get me wrong—I love light silver wheels (!) and also love Rhodium and Polar and all manner of very light blues that tend toward silver or silvers that tend toward blue. In other words, I want to like Arctic Silver wheels on Polar Silver or Rhodium Silver Porsches. Light silver/blue is beyond beautiful to these eyes on impact-bumper 911s because the cars have black-centered Fuchs, and I like Rhodium on modern Porsches—so long as there is a good wheel option besides Arctic Silver. But it's such a matter of personal taste and what each of us sees. So the respect goes both ways!

For sure, for sure. It's entirely personal. Some like blondes, some brunettes, redheads, whatever. That's why Baskin Robins makes 31 flavors and Porsche gets rich with all of our little taste preferences.

At the end of the day, the only person a particular spec has to satisfy is the buyer.

Quick Reply: Ordering This Week, Undecided on Color (and a few other things)