Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You all know that if you have keyless entry and if you long touch the front bumper right behind the crest, the trunk pops open

Has anyone verified that these magnets don't interfere with this system and your trunk still opens when pressing the bumper after the magnets are in place?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:35 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
You all know that if you have keyless entry and if you long touch the front bumper right behind the crest, the trunk pops open

Has anyone verified that these magnets don't interfere with this system and your trunk still opens when pressing the bumper after the magnets are in place?
I’ve had no issues with it impacting my popping the frunk with my keyless entry hand touch
Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 AM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sorry to be such a HACK but I don't like putting anything on my bumpers or even up over them so I've been using Scotch All-weather double-sided tape to secure my front plates. Like some have done, with my 993, I drove it for 3 years without and no problem, but there still that constant "when am I getting pulled" that exists when driving.

With the new CT, it's a bit, errrr, RED, and feel it will attract a bit of attention. So I've done the following "Euro" Front License Plate Hack by bending the plate to thin out the appearance and attaching it to the centre grill area (blank, non-functional) with the double-sided tape and I think it looks pretty good. The tape is STRONG and the plate is not going anywhere.

Technically, I'm still "damaging" the front plate and can get a ticket for it. It that happens I think I'll just take it off, but in the meantime, I like the thinner look of it.
I like it!!
My plate has been in the front window and I am probably just going to draw more attention to it that way ...plus I hate my plate there so I think i am going to try your method for a while anyways
Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by judd10
I don't think the issue is around paying the fine... it's more about not knowing when you might get pulled over... and Murphy's law... it'll most likely be when you're late for an important meeting, appointment, event, etc.
You're spot-on with that concern. Or, what about getting pulled over for no plate after a couple glasses of wine after a Porsche Dinner? Not a good situation to be in.

Jason
Old 09-09-2019, 02:48 AM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Did this mod. Magnets are very powerful. Anyone have an issue of it attracting metal pieces in the road with much more velocity than without the magnets that would possible damage the bumper where the magnets are. These magnets are really strong.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
Did this mod. Magnets are very powerful. Anyone have an issue of it attracting metal pieces in the road with much more velocity than without the magnets that would possible damage the bumper where the magnets are. These magnets are really strong.
I was worried about the same issue. For example, if someone tried to wheel a bicycle across the front of your parked car, could it get sucked onto the bumper?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:22 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by theEnd
I was worried about the same issue. For example, if someone tried to wheel a bicycle across the front of your parked car, could it get sucked onto the bumper?
No, no, no. The magnets are strong but they aren't that strong. Magnets need to be within a few inches to really pull.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eva...with-distance/
The following users liked this post:
theEnd (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Magnets save on gas!

These rare earth magnets are SO strong, I slide up behind someone in an SUV on the interstate and the magnets begin to pull me along with the vehicle ahead and I can actually shut my engine off and coast! I try to get behind an SUV so I can hide beneath their field of view in the rear view mirror and they never see me! I just coast along on those magnets. They are THAT strong. It does get a little hairy when they stop suddenly, but the Porsche active cruise control slows me down right along with them. I'm telling you, these magnets are SO strong I can coast along for hours!

So, I would really worry about picking up bits of steel and iron on the highway, or pull bicycles down. I certainly would avoid service stations, too. You could create an issue with the pump handles.
The following users liked this post:
Ecosse911 (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Magnetic Front License Plate Mount