Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy From Out-of-State Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

We've purchased many vehicles from out of state. For me, it's easier than dealing in person, since all of the negotiation is done by phone & email. No face to face sales pushiness. Our most recent experience was absolutely fantastic. Not sure if we're allowed to mention dealerships in the threads, so I'll refrain until I know otherwise.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by macanakey
Not sure if we're allowed to mention dealerships in the threads
Dealerships get mentioned all the time. The only exception would be if you were a dealership employee and were promoting that dealership - that sort of thing is only allowed in the classifieds.

The Hot For Sale thread mentions car ads and dealerships all the time. Which is another example - while you're not supposed to create for-sale ads of your own, or link to your own ads, it's perfectly fine to point out cars for sale by someone else that might interest readers.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you make a deal over the phone just like any other deal. Negotiate every detail. you will pay for the car and get a intent to transfer title. your bank will handle all the legalities with the dealership.

your concern should be that you get a car fax, get the dealer to send you the porsche service history, the porsche warranty service history, and the shop invoice of what work they did on the car to certify it. and it will be up to you to ask, maybe the service mgr, (dont like to discuss service facts with salesman, they dont have service expertise to answer factually) about the present condition of the tires, brakes, etc so you know how much life they DO have left on them.
THEN you can negotiate to make the deal on your car. If you still want it.
CPO doesnt guarantee the brakes and tires wont be worn out 6 months from now it just means its all w/in specs now.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Dealerships lie cheat and steal

Even if you negotiate a deal over the ohone NEVER EVER buy a car you have not seen or driven. Used car dealers (including Porsche CPO) have no interest no telling you the truth only making a dollar. Buy a plane ticket and go decide for yourself after you have put a deposit down. Most used car salesman (porsche dealerships included) would sell their mother for $10.

QUOTE=okbarnett;14425934]you make a deal over the phone just like any other deal. Negotiate every detail. you will pay for the car and get a intent to transfer title. your bank will handle all the legalities with the dealership.

your concern should be that you get a car fax, get the dealer to send you the porsche service history, the porsche warranty service history, and the shop invoice of what work they did on the car to certify it. and it will be up to you to ask, maybe the service mgr, (dont like to discuss service facts with salesman, they dont have service expertise to answer factually) about the present condition of the tires, brakes, etc so you know how much life they DO have left on them.
THEN you can negotiate to make the deal on your car. If you still want it.
CPO doesnt guarantee the brakes and tires wont be worn out 6 months from now it just means its all w/in specs now.[/QUOTE]
shi
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
...CPO doesnt guarantee the brakes and tires wont be worn out 6 months from now it just means its all w/in specs now.
Just to clarify on these two items, to pass CPO the dealer is supposed to check that the brake pads have at least 50% of their life remaining and the tires should have a minimum of 4mm depth across the entire face or they must be replaced. The tires must also be roughly the same age, brand, model, and ratings.

They must also do the scheduled maintenance items if they are due within 2500 miles or they are due in less than 6 months.

The entire checklist with existing measurements should be made available to you before you buy the car. You can view a copy of the CPO checklist here:
http://cars.com/go/advice/shopping/c...inspection.pdf
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I've done this about 5 times, at least twice for P-cars. My current '13 came from Seattle WA.

We agreed to price, and they sent extensive photos/video of the car. In my case it was a 10K mi CPO car, but I can spot issues in paint/trim from high quality videos no problem. Crazily, they wouldn't hold a deposit on the car without seeing my plane ticket - weird - but I escalated and they could tell I was serious so they gave in until I arranged the visit.

Ask about any defects ahead of time, and review records and overrun report (7MT) - you can tell a LOT from dealer records especially miles between service and general conscientiousness of owners. Consider a third party PPO, but in my case I found it unneeded. Ask on Rennlist about the quality of the dealer. Most are great, some you should avoid like the plague (Phoenix for example).

CPO from a reputable dealer generally means you don't need to worry much about mechanicals, focus more on cosmetics.

I had my own financing ready to go (penfed has cheap money) but they wanted the deal so they beat it by 50 basis points!

Importing a car into CA is a pain, so there were a LOT of paperwork mistakes and hassles. They collected sales tax, but didn't remit it or the registration paperwork in time - and ended up paying steep penalties on my behalf!

In one case I had them agree if the condition wasn't as expected they'd cover my airfare! I had one occasion (Lexus SUV) where they were dishonest about the condition of the car, but that was before High Def video. I ended up taking the car but they discounted it heavily again to keep me from flying out.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chicago
I purchased my first 911 CPO this summer from an out of state dealer. I wanted a base 991.1 MT and wasn't seeing any come up in the local market, nor were any local dealers willing to assist in a nationwide search. Finally a near perfect match was listed online at a Porsche dealer clear across the country in New Mexico.

I put significant faith in the CPO program and negotiated entirely over email. I had the dealer send high-resolution photos to confirm condition and we spoke a few times on the phone to work out the financing details. The dealer was very happy to do an out of state deal and mentioned it is not uncommon. All paperwork was signed via FedEx and I sent a wire transfer to the dealer's bank for the down payment. No CC deposit was required. The out of state dealer was even able to get my car titled in my home state and arrange for license plates.

I was able to negotiate the cost of cross-country shipping into the sale price. They handed me off to the shipping company and we arranged delivery details.

I never saw the car in person until it was delivered to my house via carrier truck. In fact, I never test drove any 911. The whole process was surprisingly seamless and the car is fantastic.
Same as Chicago. Mine was from an Illinois dealer who arranged shipping to California. You can search my experience in the HFS alumni thread
Old 08-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Used car dealers (including Porsche CPO) have no interest no telling you the truth only making a dollar. Buy a plane ticket and go decide for yourself after you have put a deposit down. Most used car salesman (porsche dealerships included) would sell their mother for $10.
This has NOT been my experience, unless you choose one of the less reputable dealers. CPO does give me a much higher measure of comfort, knowing you can appeal to PCNA if needed

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
CPO doesn't guarantee the brakes and tires wont be worn out 6 months from now it just means its all w/in specs now.
Porsche's CPO requirements are high. Tires and brakes more than half worn are replaced, I seriously doubt you can wear tires/brakes out in 6 months unless you are at fault.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-checklist.pdf
Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
.....CPO does give me a much higher measure of comfort, knowing you can appeal to PCNA if needed.....
yea, well here is my CPO shopping experience from a couple of days ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...2fs183709.html

Quick Reply: Buy From Out-of-State Dealer