Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust is it really worth it? Video comparing PSE vs non PSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Great and very useful video, Nick! And good fun to watch.

As a side note that may (or may not!) be useful, one of the Porsche powertrain engineers at the 991.2 launch in Tenerife told me the reason you don't get the backfiring in Sport Plus is that said backfiring creates a tiny loss in power—which is, of course, antithetical to a mode meant to maximize absolute performance.

Chalk me up as another who prefers the four-pipe look, btw.

Last edited by stout; 08-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 686 Posts

I agree the 4 pipes look better and wouldn't have ordered PSE but couldn't delete it with the Powerkit Package (like the SD mirrors; I prefer power folding). Couldn't pass up the package pricing.
But oh my is this car fast even at break in RPMs.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:20 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clutchplate
In the clips beginning at 5:36 I actually preferred the tone of the blue car and I've been a big fan of PSE.
I was never a fan of "adding noise" (read: dampen less) for the sake of pure noise volume. Making things sound different is another story and nowadays I believe that's pretty much all a PSE can (legally) do in many places, shift frequency, add some pops and crackle for the kids in the driver and so on.

Personally, I like the standard exhaust noise a quite a bit more – I tried both before buying.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Before I bought my 991.2, I flew down to Atlanta Porsche Experience Center to drive the car and listen to the exhaust from a bystanders perspective. I was really worried about the sound of the turbos. I listened to the 981 GT4s and 991.1 GTSs race around the track along with the new 991.2s.

For reference, I like louder exhausts and also own a 981 BS with PSE, SC and the engine right behind my head with no top. I love that car.

My 2018 911 w/PSE and SC sounds ok in the cockpit. From a bystander's perspective it is not good at all. It sucks actually (for me) with or without PSE. It seems to me that PSE just adds the backfire in sport mode......and that is about it. That is probably why Porsche changed the location of the exhaust pipe to differentiate this highly priced option. Visually, I prefer the 4-pipes on the flanks. It makes the car look wider. I'm not a fan of the 2 pipes.

PSE in the 991.2 I think is a waste of money even though I got it. However, it is a status option (if you are into that - which I am) and unlike the 991.1, the PSE option in the 991.2 is obvious to anybody who knows anything about Porsches.

I love your videos Nick. I watch them all the time. Very entertaining and informative.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the PSE on my 991.2 and also prefer the look of the centralized exhaust tips! It's "different" and an evolution of the 911, along with the turbo motors
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Great video Nick. As my car (.2 base) was purchased off the lot, I didn't have a choice with respect to PSE. However, I was shocked to find out PSE was only available in the center pipe configuration. The 4 pipe is much sportier looking and aggressive. Thankfully, my car was specced with black 4 pipe exhaust tips. Looks great.

As far as sound, well, I don't particularly care about what it sounds like from behind the car. I get a nice overrun sound with the Sport button on, and at high rpms it has a nice growl. As it is, the car can be heard from blocks away, and I gladly trade the noise for the low end torque.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:10 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Great video Nick. As my car (.2 base) was purchased off the lot, I didn't have a choice with respect to PSE. However, I was shocked to find out PSE was only available in the center pipe configuration. The 4 pipe is much sportier looking and aggressive. Thankfully, my car was specced with black 4 pipe exhaust tips. Looks great.

As far as sound, well, I don't particularly care about what it sounds like from behind the car. I get a nice overrun sound with the Sport button on, and at high rpms it has a nice growl. As it is, the car can be heard from blocks away, and I gladly trade the noise for the low end torque.
Well said!
Old 08-22-2017, 12:25 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Great video as usual Nick, I too prefer the 4 pipe look and decided against the PSE. I can still select sport mode if I want the snap crackle and pop.

Here is a picture of my 911C2 7MT at Hockenheimring when I did the European Delivery in July.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 AM
AeroStormGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nick for the wonderful video!
+1 the quad pipe look.

From outside the car standard exhaust is loud enough. Every time I fire up the engine in the garage, my wife and kids are all excited but at the same time covering their ears quickly.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:34 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

I was disappointed in the PSE in the 911. I always though it was too quiet, I expected it to sound louder. I thought my 458 Italia was perfect. I think Porsche should realize that those who want PSE want a much louder and sensual experience from a driver's perpective. I feel I've been sold a false set of goods with PSE, kind of like how my adaptive 18 ways are not really adaptive.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Nick you're wrong about I mode...individual mode. You can pick what mode your car is in...like Sport mode or Sport plus mode, wing up or down, pasm in normal or stiffer sport mode and such.

So if you set up individual mode to run the car in Sport mode then you do get the burble and crackle on deceleration
Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 AM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Good point, yes I missed that!
Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car fan
I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the PSE on my 991.2 and also prefer the look of the centralized exhaust tips! It's "different" and an evolution of the 911, along with the turbo motors
+1. I feel the same way.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:00 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
+1. I feel the same way.

Count me, too
Old 08-22-2017, 01:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm just sitting back laughing. We all have our tolerances with regards to how modern we are willing to get in different areas. Even my 991.1 is a little too modern for me... would gladly give up some performance for more analog aspects.

Funny (in an ironic and not haha kinda way) and interesting how things like RWS, Turbos, Lag, Sound, digital gauges in the dash, size starting in 2012, etc are all changes. I can't decide if I like the middle exhaust or not but it is more modern looking and a defining characteristic of the #2 iteration. Again - these are all personal preferences as even the hated 996 outperforms most modern day cars as well as driver capability if we're honest.

I'm only looking to lightly heckle and not start a debate by saying.... so some of you admit there are aspects of the #1 that you prefer! Like quad exhaust tips

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust is it really worth it? Video comparing PSE vs non PSE