Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 50th anniversary wheels worth it? (you can select multiple options)
Buy them: Resale value of the car will cover the cost
2.50%
Don't buy: Will have no effect or negative effect on resale
12.50%
Buy them: They look cool, just eat the cost
60.00%
Don't buy: Not worth the cost
27.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

50th Anniversary Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 50th Anniversary Wheels

I just ordered the 50th anniversary wheels and am starting to have second thoughts, mainly are they worth it based on the delta between the sale of my current set and the cost of the new wheels.

My current wheels are the WB Carrera Classics with new tires (less that 400 miles). They were "reconditioned" by Park Place Porsche before I bought the car so I assume there was some road rash at one point. How much do you think they would sell for? I see some pretty high numbers listed out there just for the rims but have no idea what they are actually selling for.

The 50th wheels are roughly $6,700 shipped.

Would there be an increase in resale value of the car? My thoughts are, if someone wanted to buy a car with those wheels they would have to buy a 50th ed. car or a Club Coupe, both of which would sell at a premium over the standard 4S. Since these wheels are relatively hard to come by, a potential buyer who doesn't want to pay the 50th or Club Coupe premium or buy fakes would be limited buying my car. I am new to the Porsche market so I am not sure if I am viewing this from a proper perspective.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Zero increase to resale value - in some opinions a decrease since not on the build sheet. Others could argue a faster sale to the right buyer.

IMO though - worth it since they look incredible.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

I think the 50th wheels look fantastic. Day and night difference between them and the classics. When and if you decide to sell, the car with the wheels will definitely get more looks but doubt you are going to get any significant increase in price.

The old saying is don't buy aftermarket in the hopes of getting increase in selling price, buy because YOU like and want it.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

In some ways it depends on what you get for your existing set of wheels and tires. The "net" cost is really what it is about, as even if you hold onto those you can always sell it with the factory wheels and sell the 50th separately. You won't get all your money back, but a great deal of it. If you've got cash laying around, your overall cost likely won't be more than a grand or two. Do what you like. Biggest issue selling those 50th wheels is they only fit the widebody 991's i believe so not near as many customers as regular 991's. However, somebody will always be interested at 70 or 80% of value.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Users cannot sell nor solicit on Rennlist. A measly 18 bucks lets you get membership privileges.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by points
Users cannot sell nor solicit on Rennlist. A measly 18 bucks lets you get membership privileges.
He's not trying to sell anything.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by points
I am not trying to sell anything, just asking for some opinions. However, I went ahead and signed up to be a member just to avoid any potential conflicts and support the forum.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you....eliminates a lot of problems. If you own a Porsche you ought to be able to spend 18 bucks to join the club.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

If it were me, I would store the factory wheels and run the 50th and then when it comes time to sell the car, sell the 50th wheels separately. They may no longer be in production then and you are likely to recover a higher percentage of value that way.
The following users liked this post:
SSFox (02-05-2024)
Old 08-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evilfij
If it were me, I would store the factory wheels and run the 50th and then when it comes time to sell the car, sell the 50th wheels separately. They may no longer be in production then and you are likely to recover a higher percentage of value that way.
Agreed. Best suggestion yet.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

He may be evil, but he's smart!!

btw... the 50th wheels look delish on your 911.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

This is the way to go imo. 50th wheels look absolutely ****.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these + sport design ducktail = beautiful retro-ness
Old 08-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Capt_and
Racer

It looks like my concept of commanding a slightly higher resale value due to being the only non-limited edition car with those wheels seems to be completely shot. So it will ultimately be a purchase of passion with the expectation of a big loss.

If I keep the old wheels to sell with the car and sell the 50th ed. wheels separately, I should prepare to lose around $4k. This is conservative since I think I could sell them for $4k in a few years, discount $500 for limited WB market, another $1k if Porsche doesn't limit production which would bring selling price to about $2.5k.

If I sell the old wheels now for $3.5k (? does this sound realistic?) I would lose $3k. Now when I go to sell the car in a few years, supposed it increases the value of the car by $500, or loses value by $500, that would be a wash. Supposed I can only sell them for $2.5k then the total loss would be about $4k, same as scenario one with the exception that I would have the cash immediately available now instead of the future.

Am I on the right track? Or am I just way over thinking this?

I wish these wheels didn't look so sweet... It would make life easier...
Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 PM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

I've owned more cars than i can remember(and wheels and tires with them), and unless you are going to switch in the winter or something you usually end up ahead selling them now with the tires. The older the tires get, the risk they need to be replaced(either right or wrong)due to deterioration or perceived deterioration. A lot of buyers of high end sports cars are finicky about the age of tires. You can always get those wheels back in the future as they are fairly common. Not to mention you have to store them and all that entails.

Quick Reply: 50th Anniversary Wheels