Sponsored by:

H&R Springs installed - First impressions and an unpleasant surprise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Default H&R Springs installed - First impressions and an unpleasant surprise

Headed up to TAG Motorsports yesterday to get my H&R Springs installed on the old 911S. They are about an hour away from my office, and seeing as how the car isn't going to pay for itself I figured I'd chill in the lobby and get some work done while they did the install. Not a bad view if I do say so myself.

There were a few F1 tires on display next to me, might as well take a pic.

Time to get down to business! Here she is, flying high with no shoes on. Took a good 6 hours from start to finish, including alignment, test drive, etc.

When the tech took the battery cover out of the frunk area they found a big old rat nest by the passenger side shock mount! I couldn't freakin believe it! Here is a pic of what the nest was made out of. One day I couldn't find the red/black towel I had sitting on my golf bag in the garage, but now the mystery has been solved. After removing all the fibers and other misc ****, we looked around the area for chewed wires, and thankfully there were none! My next mission; rodent proof the garage!

So here she is in all her glory (wing up just for you, STG ). The pics aren't the greatest due to the lighting/shadows, but it's still a decent representation of how much lower it is. I have SPASM, so the springs gave it a 1" drop. I'm sure it will sit a tad lower once the springs have had time to settle, but overall I'm very happy with the result . Before the drop I could fit 2, almost 3, fingers between tire and fender. Now, only 1 finger.

The ride is a bit stiffer over bumps, but the road feel is definitely more noticeable which is exactly what I was hoping more. The connection between me, the car, and the road is right at the level I wanted. I'm very happy with the outcome, and would recommend these springs to anyone looking to tighten up their ride and add visual appeal.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Nice! love the drop on those wheels. Car looks way sleeker and aggressive. Lowering a car is ALWAYS my first mod.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks good. I prefer the stance from the H&R over the TechArt.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like it should look in my opinion ...very nice!

Whats up with the white letter tires...did you do that? If so how? I kinda like it....!!!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Looks good. I prefer the stance from the H&R over the TechArt.
ditto !
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 AM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your spoiler broken?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Did TAG not recommend replacing the shocks with aftermarket to match the new springs? When using lowering springs your shock dampening will not match and it's a good idea to run a matched shock/spring setup such as a Bilstein setup such as this:

https://tagmotorsports.com/bilstein-...e-991-49216042

If your ride remains harsh, that's the reason.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm too shocked by the rats nest to pay attention to the rear spoiler. Missing golf towel? That's a crazy story.

BTW, looking good

Last edited by STG; 08-17-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:37 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

rat nest by the passenger side shock mount
My Land Cruiser parks outside. AC fan noise. Took it to the dealer thinking it was a bad fan motor. No. Rodent nest. Somehow they crawled in the ventilation tubing and found a nice, cozy spot.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the compliments guys

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looks like it should look in my opinion ...very nice!

Whats up with the white letter tires...did you do that? If so how? I kinda like it....!!!
They are "tire stickers" whicht are made from a rubber material. There are permanent and semi-permanent options. Google search "tire stickers" and you will find a few companies that sell them.

Originally Posted by DY369
Is your spoiler broken?
No, I put it up on purpose to get a rise out of people here on the forum. semi inside joke i guess. FWIW I've got a TechArt Type II wing on order.

Originally Posted by drcollie
Did TAG not recommend replacing the shocks with aftermarket to match the new springs? When using lowering springs your shock dampening will not match and it's a good idea to run a matched shock/spring setup such as a Bilstein setup such as this:

https://tagmotorsports.com/bilstein-...e-991-49216042

If your ride remains harsh, that's the reason.
No, they did not, and I appreciate you sharing that info. I will look into the shocks.

Originally Posted by STG
I'm too shocked by the rats nest to pay attention to the rear spoiler. Missing golf towel? That's a crazy story.

BTW, looking good
Thx bud. When I heard the tech say "hey man, I think you had a rat make a nest in your car" I immediately thought about ObsessedGarage's story detailing the $10k worth of wiring damage! I got lucky in this case.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 269 Posts

Curious as to why they aligned your car before the springs have settled. Runs counter to everything I've ever heard on this topic.

That said, car looks great!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

They would have to do at least a rudimentary alignment on the car with a 1" Drop all around, it would change the toe and camber so severely the car would be nearly undriveable otherwise.

Been there, done that when I lowered my M3 myself. The test drive was ridiculous afterwards! Luckily a simple "track day" string alignment was all I had to do to get it running out well.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
johnc510
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The height looks perfect and good to know about the ride, road feedback! Great timing of this thread. I just bought H&R springs earlier this week and plan to DIY install them after work tonight. I too have SPASM on mine and don't like the amount of gap. This post is very reassuring.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
They would have to do at least a rudimentary alignment on the car with a 1" Drop all around, it would change the toe and camber so severely the car would be nearly undriveable otherwise.

Been there, done that when I lowered my M3 myself. The test drive was ridiculous afterwards! Luckily a simple "track day" string alignment was all I had to do to get it running out well.
Yeah fair enough, I just hope OP gets it realigned at some point in the near future.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by johnc510
The height looks perfect and good to know about the ride, road feedback! Great timing of this thread. I just bought H&R springs earlier this week and plan to DIY install them after work tonight. I too have SPASM on mine and don't like the amount of gap. This post is very reassuring.
Good luck with the install, I'm sure you'll be happy with the end result! Pls post pics when you're done.

Originally Posted by Bents
Yeah fair enough, I just hope OP gets it realigned at some point in the near future.
I'm heading back up t the shop at the end of next week to get my new rear wing installed, so I'll have them check the alignment then.

On a side note, look what just arrived on my door step...fresh set of MP4S

Quick Reply: H&R Springs installed - First impressions and an unpleasant surprise