Sponsored by:

Zunsport Grilles - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far

I’d call the manufacturer and ask. From my install the impression I had was the louvres appear act as a backstop to provide tension against where the grills clip into the bumper. I know it doesn’t on the smaller grills but seemed to on the outer.

If you want the cleaner look go with the Rennline and the bumper removal. Personally I find the Zunnsport fine in appearance and have had them on since new with no issues.
The more I think about it the solution might be to not remove them but loosen the screws, if applicable (I need to find the parts diagram), that hold them in place, just enough where when the grill was inserted it would push the louver back a little so that there is not a gap. I am pretty picky about things; however, I can live with them the way they are but it would be nice if they sat back a little further on one side. And I have no desire to take the bumper off for the alternative.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Does anyone know if the louvers in the outer grills of the GTS Sport Design front bumper can be removed? I thought I read something in the past that there are a couple screws that hold them in. Since mine are not active I see no need for them since the Zunsports would fit better if they were not there.
Here is the part number: 991-505-568-01 (RT Side)
It appears the fins are part of single part with an attached motor held in place by two or more screws. I was only able to locate a picture of the fin. I wasn’t able to locate a diagram. You can use the part number to conduct a search on the web. Good luck.

991-505-568-01
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Thanks; however, mine only has one louver on each side and they are not active:

Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The more I think about it the solution might be to not remove them but loosen the screws, if applicable (I need to find the parts diagram), that hold them in place, just enough where when the grill was inserted it would push the louver back a little so that there is not a gap. I am pretty picky about things; however, I can live with them the way they are but it would be nice if they sat back a little further on one side. And I have no desire to take the bumper off for the alternative.

I understand you don't want to take the bumper off, and I don't blame you. However, the Rennline look so much better, as in almost invisible, it is one of the few appearance mods that screams for doing it in an unobtrusive manner. I realize this is very subjective, but I personally can't understand why invisible, is not better than something obviously pinned on as an after thought. I'll keep my flak jacket close by, but honestly, I'd go without a screen before I'd put those Zunnsport screens on.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:09 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I understand you don't want to take the bumper off, and I don't blame you. However, the Rennline look so much better, as in almost invisible, it is one of the few appearance mods that screams for doing it in an unobtrusive manner. I realize this is very subjective, but I personally can't understand why invisible, is not better than something obviously pinned on as an after thought. I'll keep my flak jacket close by, but honestly, I'd go without a screen before I'd put those Zunnsport screens on.
I like the Zunsports and if it were not for the one side of one of the grills I would be 100% happy, not 90%. which in my book is pretty good. Anyway, I am pretty sure there is way to do what I want but I have been searching the threads for where I saw it but still have not found it.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Bob, I remember that comment about loosening a screw on the louver to get the screen not to buldge (not flush). On many of the pics I can see that buldge. I havent bought them yet because of that. From a looks perspective I like the install in front over behind the louver. Woild also like a symetric install....
Old 12-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by One N Done
Bob, I remember that comment about loosening a screw on the louver to get the screen not to buldge (not flush). On many of the pics I can see that buldge. I havent bought them yet because of that. From a looks perspective I like the install in front over behind the louver. Woild also like a symetric install....
If we can look at a parts diagram we could tell if there were screws to loosen, which would allow the grills to push the louver back a little....stay tuned!
Old 12-27-2018, 09:56 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

If we can look at a parts diagram we could tell if there were screws to loosen, which would allow the grills to push the louver back a little....stay tuned!
I went to look at my GTS and although I couldn't see behind the bar (louver?) it felt like some type of attachment was there. If you have a dental or some type of angled mirror, you could probably see what kind of attachment device is being used. BTW, I have the Zunsports and an not concerned by the VERY slight bulge that can only be seen if you're REALLY looking for it.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
I went to look at my GTS and although I couldn't see behind the bar (louver?) it felt like some type of attachment was there. If you have a dental or some type of angled mirror, you could probably see what kind of attachment device is being used. BTW, I have the Zunsports and an not concerned by the VERY slight bulge that can only be seen if you're REALLY looking for it.
Thanks, I'll have to do some exploring. I agree it is not that noticeable but it is still there, and knowing it is there is enough to make me want to fix it, somehow.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I ordered a set for my GTS on ebay two days ago (free shipping), they arrived from the UK this morning. WOW
Old 04-25-2019, 12:12 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I ordered a set for my GTS on ebay two days ago (free shipping), they arrived from the UK this morning. WOW
is this the kit for $424 on eBay?
let me know how the install goes. I’m interested in adding this to my GTS
Old 04-25-2019, 12:29 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

No, it’s the full five piece kit for the .2 GTS for $262 shipped.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:03 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
No, it’s the full five piece kit for the .2 GTS for $262 shipped.
Note you don't need the middle piece for the 991.2 GTS.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:14 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Note you don't need the middle piece for the 991.2 GTS.
Yes, I know that, but I wanted it.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Good choice...the center section looks terrible to me without a grill:

Quick Reply: Zunsport Grilles - your thoughts?