Sponsored by:

A perfect GTS - A 991.2 GT3 With Touring Package

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by deichenb
I talked with my SA today and he thinks we've got it wrong. He denies her there are plans to build a softened GT3 Touring. He didn't deny they may have options for a smaller wing, more front seating surface options, etc, but he did deny that this is a "GTS-ified" version of the GT3 with softer suspension, sound deadening, comforts like keyless entry/ignition, rear seats, etc.

Of course, I have an order demand in for a GTS, so he is speaking with bias, but his comments do cast some doubt.
I don't think anybody is saying this is a GTS car in the Porsche sense, though some of us are saying that this what a Porsche GTS should be.

Also, I totally agree with your SA and I don't see anything changing related to suspension, sound, keyless, etc. on the Touring version. Wing delete and alcantara delete (thank god on that one) is all I'm expecting. I figure it's possible they throw in rear seats, but I'm doubtful as well on that.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I spoke my a couple of the dealers I have deposits at and they said if it's a gt3 it will follow the gt3 list. I won't get it's own list. If that's true the wait will be long.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:20 AM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.

I learned about getting on the latest 911 list with my dealer through this forum, but I don't think it is any more of an improvement in my life than knowing what watch some of you prefer to wear driving your car on Tuesday.

Porsche is in the business of selling well-engineered cars at inflated prices to well-off dorks who can afford them, and has somehow created a mystique about boutique cars like the 911 R and the GT3 RS that enables those cars to reappear in dealer show rooms with a few thousand miles on their odometers with a price tag double what they originally sold for.

Maybe you get that, but I don't.

Last edited by Yard Dog; 08-06-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:23 AM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
Hmm.

I learned about getting on the latest 911 list with my dealer through this forum, but I don't think it is any more of an improvement in my life than knowing what watch some of you prefer to wear driving your car on Tuesday.

Porsche is in the business of selling well-engineered cars at inflated prices to well-off dorks who can afford them, and has somehow created a mystique about boutique cars like the 911 R and the GT3 RS that enables those cars to reappear in dealer show rooms with a few thousand miles on their odometers with a price tag double what they originally sold for.

Maybe you get that, but I don't.
totally agree with you

only thing we can do is not to pay over msrp
Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be patient. This option is not available yet but very likely towards the end of the 991 build schedule; no different than the upcoming Speedster.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangelus
Be patient. This option is not available yet but very likely towards the end of the 991 build schedule; no different than the upcoming Speedster.
Not the end of the schedule. The touring package is expected to be announced at the Frankfurt auto show in mid September, as well as possibly either the Sport Classic or the Speedster.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

SO much speculation about this car. I will believe it when I see it.

J
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not everyone subscribes to that definition, nor feels like the GTS has offered enough of a performance advantage.
I'm not sure if you're being serious - have you seen the 991.2 GTS laptimes? The difference between the 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GTS around Hockenheim short was 0.1s......it was also 0.5s quicker than the 991.1 GT3 RS.....and 1.2s quicker than the 991.1 GT3........its quicker than the 911R (as tested by Sport Auto with C. Gebhardt at the wheel).

My SA, at least as of Friday, has never heard of the "touring" edition.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
I'm not sure if you're being serious - have you seen the 991.2 GTS laptimes? The difference between the 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GTS around Hockenheim short was 0.1s......it was also 0.5s quicker than the 991.1 GT3 RS.....and 1.2s quicker than the 991.1 GT3........its quicker than the 911R (as tested by Sport Auto with C. Gebhardt at the wheel).

My SA, at least as of Friday, has never heard of the "touring" edition.
since when has owning a Porsche 911 been about the fastest lap time?! There are many cheaper less desireable cars than a 911 GT3 or GTS that have faster lap times. Even within Porsche's lineup (a 2-3 year old 991 Turbo S would kick the *** of of similarly or higher priced new GTS or GT3).

We buy buy these cars for the feeling of driving them, for how they look and sound, for how they're put together, and for their heritage. this is why people want a GT3 with more creature comforts and less racy outward appearance, for the next level feel/sound of its glorious 4.0 NA engine v the GTS's muted smaller turbo.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:10 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by Lapis
since when has owning a Porsche 911 been about the fastest lap time?! There are many cheaper less desireable cars than a 911 GT3 or GTS that have faster lap times. Even within Porsche's lineup (a 2-3 year old 991 Turbo S would kick the *** of of similarly or higher priced new GTS or GT3).
Read Archimedes quote -
Originally Posted by Archimedes
......nor feels like the GTS has offered enough of a performance advantage...........
- it was he who made the statement about performance - I questioned whether he was being serious given the well documented performance credentials of the 991.2 GTS - which I outlined in brief. Oh and the 991.1 TTS was actually .7s slower than the .2 GTS........go figure (also with Chris Gebhardt driving).

Besides which, people buy Porsche sports cars for many reasons, some buy them for performance, some buy them for the illusion of performance, a lot of people simply buy for the badge.

Your current choices are GTS or GT3

Last edited by randr; 09-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:54 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Read Archimedes quote - - it was he who made the statement about performance - I questioned whether he was being serious given the well documented performance credentials of the 991.2 GTS - which I outlined in brief. Oh and the 991.1 TTS was actually .7s slower than the .2 GTS........go figure (also with Chris Gebhardt driving).

Besides which, people buy Porsche sports cars for many reasons, some buy them for performance, some buy them for the illusion of performance, a lot of people simply buy for the badge.

Your current choices are GTS or GT3
The tires give huge handicaps. The biggest change by far is the advantage to the GTS on the optional track tires, and the turbo is significantly disadvantaged. Put them all on the same tire - whichever you like - and the pecking order will be TTS->GT3->GTS.

But the significant differences in character is the reason to choose one over the other.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 AM
randr
Banned

^^In reality it comes down to the driver and the GT3 comes with MPSC2 which are superior to the Corsas.

Character is multi-dimensional
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12 PM
auchenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

From
View this post on Instagram

The first leaked GT3 Touring pictures from Autopresse (these have since been taken offline). Bits of information pieced together from the article: manual only, no detuned engine (full 500 hp), 316 km/hour top speed (down from 320 km/hr), all black interior as standard (with cloth/sport-tex seat center?), sports chrono available (as well as ceramic brakes and other gt3 options). No idea on color scheme. How about those rear seats??? #Porsche #GT3 #TouringPackage #FrankfurtMotorShow #IAA

Old 09-11-2017, 03:40 PM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally having owned a GT3, I just can't wrap my head around this. Whether it has a wing or not, it's still a GT3 and meant for the track. I highly doubt that GTS owners would pick this over their car, just because a wing is eliminated. Completely different cars meant for different purposes. The GT3's brakes, suspension, transmission, and engine are components of a race car, it doesn't even feel right until the car is completely warmed up. And you really have to push it past 6K RPM constantly for it to feel alive, not to mention how low the car is.

Quick Reply: A perfect GTS - A 991.2 GT3 With Touring Package