Sponsored by:

CQuartz without PPF: Dumb Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:52 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CQuartz without PPF: Dumb Idea?

I have a 2017 991.2 with not many miles on it and want to protect the paint job, I was originally thinking of having the front wrapped with XPEL. Then I heard of people applying CQuartz on top to really bring out the gloss and shine.

My question is this: How does the combo of XPEL and CQ stack up to the luster and gloss of the original factory paint job? Is it shinier or less shiny? My car is Sapphire Blue Metallic and I don't want to lose the color's "wow" factor. I know no film is 100% clear but it would suck to pay good money and take a step back in appearance, even if it's better protected...

Alternatively, I guess I can have just the front bumper wrapped and leave the hood very shiny but unprotected. (My old 911 had quite a few dings on the bumper but the hood had just a couple of marks.) If I'm going to spend the money on the bumper, is it stupid to leave out the rest of the front end?

Any suggestions on the best way to go? All I know is that I def want to do the CQ.

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:51 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would venture a guess that a lot of people here wrap the front end in PPF and then coat the whole car. That's what I did. And my car gleams, both where the film is (which is barely perceptible) and on the unfilmed, just coated parts. To me this strikes the right balance of protecting the front end of the car from rock chips, and the whole car from scratches and swirl marks resulting from every day use/washing mistakes, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (10-21-2021)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Big997Fan
I have a 2017 991.2 with not many miles on it and want to protect the paint job, I was originally thinking of having the front wrapped with XPEL. Then I heard of people applying CQuartz on top to really bring out the gloss and shine.

My question is this: How does the combo of XPEL and CQ stack up to the luster and gloss of the original factory paint job? Is it shinier or less shiny? My car is Sapphire Blue Metallic and I don't want to lose the color's "wow" factor. I know no film is 100% clear but it would suck to pay good money and take a step back in appearance, even if it's better protected...

Alternatively, I guess I can have just the front bumper wrapped and leave the hood very shiny but unprotected. (My old 911 had quite a few dings on the bumper but the hood had just a couple of marks.) If I'm going to spend the money on the bumper, is it stupid to leave out the rest of the front end?

Any suggestions on the best way to go? All I know is that I def want to do the CQ.

Thanks a lot!
This is what I did with my TTS but I cannot attest to the long term effects yet. I'm also still up in the air about whether to add film. One of my concerns about doing only Cquartz was that it was my understanding that films could not be added on top of the coatings due to adhesion issues. So once I decided to have the coating put on, I would be unable to add a film without having the coating taken off (and have completely wasted the money on it). However, I recently learned that this is not true. I spoke to a local shop about it and the 3M Pro can be applied over the coating without issue. Also, there is a new 3M out called 3M Pro-X which is supposed to be a little thicker than Pro and have a little better adhesion qualities. Not sure whether the same is true for Xpel and Suntek though.

Long story short, if you’re up in the air like I was, just do the CQuartz for now and see how it holds up. If you want to add the film later, you should be fine.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

From what I have gleaned, a quartz coating will not protect the paint from stone chips. I was very hesitant on putting a clear bra on my car but lots of folks who did have the XPEL film installed, recommend it highly including the detailer I take my car to regularly. Because my car is a 4S which I plan to drive in winters in the NE, I know the paint will take a beating in a low car. A protective film will keep it from looking like crap after one season. Or so I hope. I didn't drive my Boxster in the winters and even then the front had numerous chips in the paint with no protective film.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I've been wondering for some time about whether applying ceramic coats on top of PPF is a good approach. A lot of people seem to say they do it, but I'd never seen any PPF maker recommend it. The quality PPFs have their own seal-healing coatings that seem to work really well. There seems to be plenty of shops willing to do ceramic coating on PPF, but I guess that makes sense... there's a lot of money to be made there.

It is also my understanding from the product literature on ceramic coatings that they are made to chemically bond with paint molecules. So I don't think it will bond as intended to PPF. So from this angle it just doesn't seem to make sense either.

So I sent a message to Xpel and asked about their recommendation. Here is the response I just got:"Ceramic coating can be applied on top of the film but we do not know the long term effects of applying it. It could affect the self healing properties of the film. Our XPEL film sealant does take the place of wax to help keep the gloss of the film."
If anyone has non-anecdotal expert information about this I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'll stick with using the Xpel sealant on my film and nothing else.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

This is all baffleing to me, but I am a patina guy. If there is a chip, there is a chip. The whole wrap my car in clear film reminds me of:
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
This is all baffleing to me, but I am a patina guy. If there is a chip, there is a chip. The whole wrap my car in clear film reminds me of:
Those were also my sentiments but stone and salt/sand are harsher than pudgy butts. I am doing it more for ease of cleaning. Lower maintenance I have been told. Bugs wash off and stone chips don't show up. Lazy man's solution in my case. I hate washing and waxing my car myself.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

I did CQuartz Tio2 on my car myself, it is not the finest version but I am very pleased with it. I have it on my Jeep and my wife's S5 as well. Every couple of months I do a reload application. Very slick surface, water blows off the paint as I drive. Next morning when the car is dry no water spots.
Eric
Old 08-04-2017, 09:06 PM
thought
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrapped my whole front in Clear Guard Nano and I'm thinking about wrapping the rest of it now as well.

What I really like about the wrapped parts is that I dont really need to worry about swirls in the paint anymore. I can have it washed anywhere and a couple of hours in the sun will heal any swirls.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Big997fan I did exactly what you are describing....xpel on front bumper and side mirrors ONLY (the front facing parts of the car) and nanocoating (I used ceramic pro) over entire car.

i am happy to report that after 18 months of ownership there car looks spectacular (I attribute it mainly to the CP). there have been only a few tiny chips in the hood of the car so small that I only noticed them while detailing my car and these I dab a small amount of dr colorchip and they are imperceptible afterwards to the point I cant even find them anymore.

i had wrapped my previous car a targa 4S entire front and i feel by not doing this the paintjob appears more 'factory finish'. i shared similar concerns as yours and feel i made the right choice in retrospect. the nano may add a slightly 'wetter' look to your car than factory but it is WELL worth it since it does an astounding job of preserving the paint overall from dulling over time. people still think my car looks brand new even after 18 months including the SA who sold it to me who says it looks the same as the day i pulled out of the lot!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:42 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coating the paint will have many benefits with or without PPF. Cleaning will be easier, bird droppings less caustic (still need to remove asap) wax looks great but does not last very long. I like the "hard candy" looks of coatings, I did XPEL and Ceramic Pro coating. Installer skill is more critical for both components versus the product choice.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The newer films are so clear you won't lose the "wow" factor of the paint, but you might experience the "wow" factor of the film if something like this happens.
Attached Images     
Old 08-04-2017, 11:28 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's what my front end PPF and the rest of the car coated car looks like:

It doesn't suck.
The following users liked this post:
Mikster (10-21-2021)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,060 Likes on 5,252 Posts

The one issue with applying a ceramic coating like CQuartz underneath PPF is that it inhibits the adhesive properties of the PPF.

Just something to consider.

Quick Reply: CQuartz without PPF: Dumb Idea?