Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't believe I am saying this but I am getting bored with my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I also have a 2016 C4S. I have a 3 month old son.

I thought about a GT3 even a GT4. Similar to another on here, I daily drive a raptor. I did daily the C4S for a year because I wanted to enjoy it.

ive been driving the raptor a lot more lately as I've also started lightly modding the C4S. I think any daily driver is probably boring it's owner at some point. I don't care what anyone says, if you daily drive anything, it becomes routine.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Like several others say, familiarity helps breed boredom. I also use a pickup truck, an older one I got cheap, for most of my mundane daily driving plus it's really handy at times. I save the 911 for when I feel like a treat and have the time to go out of my way to have an enjoyable drive. And the mods too as you may have recently noticed.

I've also been in and out of various motorcycles to mix it up some. But you have to be careful with the fast ones since they might make most any car feel slow after you drive them.

All that said, its unusual for me to keep a car for more than two to three years... part of me always wants the newer tech or power upgrade they use to bait guys like me along. So I certainly understand!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:33 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
Crazy...

Anyone else have a similar mid-life crisis with their 911? This is a major first world problem, I know.
Sort of .... I just added a Cayenne S for the day to day stuff and now use the 991 S Cab when I want something really different ... it is working out great so far ....
Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Many people just automatically think that a clutched manual and traffic don't mix. Why is that?
Because my #$%! left leg starts cramping up after a couple of hours of serious stop-and-go traffic.

Ordinary traffic is no problem. But my worst experiences with a clutch have been when there's a major accident on an expressway, where I had to inch my way forward for several hours. Or the time I needed to cross the George Washington Bridge, and congestion produced a similar result.

I've been thinking of returning to manual, after a year of a PDK, but still, it had to be said. Sometimes traffic and a clutch definitely do not mix - but only if the traffic is extreme.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 372 Posts

The problem is your commute not the car. If you use a 911 sitting in traffic in the daily grind, it won't feel special. No car will. To endure the hassles of urban commuting, you need a tomb like a lexus or a luxury SUV. I see you live in Boston. I drive from NH into MA. I would be insane to use my Porsche for commuting into MA. Miserable traffic.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnandN
I see you live in Boston
To clarify an apparent misunderstanding: I am not the original poster, complaining about being bored with his car, and he hasn't said where he lives.

I was just chiming in because NoGaBiker cliaimed a clutch was fine in traffic, and I had to point out that when the traffic is bad enough, it is a genuine problem.

For the record, I do daily drive my 2014 C4S cab. I don't commute, though, because I'm retired. "Daily driving" unfortunately is only about once a week, doing chore-things, and I do my best to enjoy the car when I do have an excuse to drive.

I'd never own a luxury barge. The closest I've come was owning a Panamera S e Hybrid, and that car did underwhelm me. Very comfortable ride compared to my current car, which honestly, I don't care about. I have the 911 in "sport suspension" mode 90% of the time because I find I prefer the stiffer ride, it feels floaty with it off.

It wasn't the Panamera's ride that turned me off, though, it was a combination of the large size and the way it felt slow and unresponsive unless it was in Sport+ mode.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no way I can do a clutch for more than 15 minutes due to an injury so that is out. A land barge is also impossible in this city as the compact spots are lucky to fit a Prius and 75% of the parking here is compact or smaller. Urban planners in a Seattle are a bunch of idiots who think the best way to fix congestion is to assume that everyone will ride a bike to work. I was thinking of getting my name on the list for a Mission E but am guessing the styling won't look anything like the prototype car. Yup, 1st world problems.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
There is no way I can do a clutch for more than 15 minutes due to an injury so that is out. A land barge is also impossible in this city as the compact spots are lucky to fit a Prius and 75% of the parking here is compact or smaller. Urban planners in a Seattle are a bunch of idiots who think the best way to fix congestion is to assume that everyone will ride a bike to work. I was thinking of getting my name on the list for a Mission E but am guessing the styling won't look anything like the prototype car. Yup, 1st world problems.
i3 daily. Problem solved.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Bored with a 911 after just one year? Imagine how I feel after 17 years with the same wife

(Kidding of course)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:09 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Using as DD no doubt numbs some of the special factor. Agree with what others are saying, need a beater for the daily grind. I used to DD a 2015 4S and though it didn't become boring, it became less exciting to fire up and more routine. I'd compare it to seeing your super model wife naked everyday. It's still awesome and amazing , just not as exhilarating as before because your used to it...but that certainly doesn't mean you should ditch them! These are really tough problems to have. Aren't there people starving somewhere???
Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

Agree about the i3. Wife has one, great runaround car. Or go GTI/R for similar size.

And to the comment above about adding seats to a GT3, no you can not add rear seats to a 991 GT3.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You want to be driving but all you're doing is lifting your foot, letting the car roll forward, dropping your foot, lifting your foot, letting car roll forward, dropping your foot...
As opposed to working the clutch, rowing the shifter, again and again, and again... all the while reminded just what that wretched traffic is preventing you from enjoying... while also putting you just that many days closer to spending beaucoup dinero on replacing said clutch. Oh, yeah, that's exciting.

Try activating ACC while the traffic's still rolling, then let the computer do all the throttle and braking. At then there's some modicum of excitement wondering if it really is going to work in traffic?

Perhaps the solution isn't the car, but the commute? Shopping for a new house could be fun...
Old 07-30-2017, 10:07 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The secret is to mix it up more - like others have said, perhaps do a few DE days with your P car - to see what it really can do.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Have had several p cars, on my fifth to be exact. Love my 981 Spyder, and don't foresee selling it any time soon.
But recently bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Something is special about it. I'm really enjoying it as a DD, and have done a few off-road adventures too. Fun to mod, and dirt cheap compared to p car mods. Also considered a pickup which would be fun, but ultimately seemed too big, and gets too poor of gas mileage.
Keep the 911, get a new DD.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I get bored of any car after 6-12 months. Doesn't matter what it is.
I enjoy trying out many brands and types of vehicles.

Quick Reply: Can't believe I am saying this but I am getting bored with my car