Sponsored by:

Can't believe I am saying this but I am getting bored with my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Can't believe I am saying this but I am getting bored with my car

Crazy... I have had my 2016 991C4S for only a year and I am getting bored with it. I use it as a DD (including winter) and unfortunately spend a lot of time stuck in traffic. It took 4 years for me to grow slightly tired of my 981S. My C4S is a stunning car to look at but am not finding as much pleasure in driving it as my 981. I can't put my finger on what it is though. I would have gotten a GT4 in a heartbeat if it had PDK but can't sit in traffic with a stick. I also like having a back seat so I can put the kiddo back there (which he loves more than anything else in the world).

Anyone else have a similar mid-life crisis with their 911? This is a major first world problem, I know.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
Crazy... I have had my 2016 991C4S for only a year and I am getting bored with it. I use it as a DD (including winter) and unfortunately spend a lot of time stuck in traffic. It took 4 years for me to grow slightly tired of my 981S. My C4S is a stunning car to look at but am not finding as much pleasure in driving it as my 981. I can't put my finger on what it is though. I would have gotten a GT4 in a heartbeat if it had PDK but can't sit in traffic with a stick. I also like having a back seat so I can put the kiddo back there (which he loves more than anything else in the world).

Anyone else have a similar mid-life crisis with their 911? This is a major first world problem, I know.
I loved my 528 with every M "thing" you can get on it when it was new to me. Now it's boring. It's my daily. ~20K miles/year.

My 991 is mildly optioned in comparison to some here; although all performance boxes ticked. I only put 4-5K miles a year on it and coming from the 4cyl BMW 5 serious DD it is exciting all over again every time.

Buy a more average daily
Old 07-30-2017, 02:16 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Happens to me all the time. The longest I kept a car was 4 years before it wore thin. I've been fortunate to own great cars but eventually I lose interest.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:20 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Buy a more average daily
I thought about that but don't have anywhere to put another car.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Maybe you really want a drop top 911.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:55 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, maybe you just want a new targa gts

or a turbo s
Old 07-30-2017, 03:03 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Modify! Something here. Something there. Every few months.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:05 PM
scooter100
Instructor

It rains too much here for a convertible and only like NA motors. There are a bunch of .1 GT3 floating around but I want the back seat for the kiddo. If they had the backseat still in a GT3, I would be game
Old 07-30-2017, 03:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
Maybe you really want a drop top 911.
Yes - this adds so much enjoyment for me and the 991 is by far the best Cab Porsche has ever made. The advances in rigidity and integration far excede any other singular advance to the 991 platform. It's incredible how still the Cab is and how solid the magnesium panels in the top are.

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
Yes, maybe you just want a new targa gts

or a turbo s
The problem with this is where do you go from there? If someone gets bored with cars so fast (a was one) then I recommend a Dodge Viper and no, I am not kidding. It's somewhat of a final frontier of raw performance experience. No future car will likely engage you with he immersive experience of a powerful, engaging sports car like this moving forward with all the the new technology and electronics. Plus it is one of the few modern classics with production ending last year and prices so low at the moment.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

It rains too much here for a convertible and only like NA motors. There are a bunch of .1 GT3 floating around but I want the back seat for the kiddo. If they had the backseat still in a GT3, I would be game
You can add back seats.

Another car to consider is a C63s or E63 coupe for backseats. AMG's are beasts in the power department but you'll miss the sportscar feel. There is no equals to Porsche for a sportscar with a back seat and the power. Lotus 400S is the only competitor with a back seat that matches handling and driving capability. BUT lotus leaves something to be desired in terms of reliability and dealer support network.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:30 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

You are going to be needing a second car if you don't want to get bored of the one you drive everyday.

I keep a Ford Raptor in the stable to mix things up while still enjoying the ride...lots of fun bouncing off curbs, not having to avoid potholes, etc...

so a 911 and a F-150 is the cure.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by leanofpeak
You are going to be needing a second car if you don't want to get bored of the one you drive everyday.

I keep a Ford Raptor in the stable to mix things up while still enjoying the ride...lots of fun bouncing off curbs, not having to avoid potholes, etc...

so a 911 and a F-150 is the cure.
Have you seen the F150 Shelby truck?
Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

As a four decade owner of various 911 iterations, I have never grew tired of any Porsche that I have owned. But I have never used a Porsche as a DD. When you drive a car like an Audi or MB most of the time and then drive your 911, believe me you'll appreciate what a 911 has to offer.

A feature that all humans have is that we adapt. So even though we may own a car that most people only dream about owning, it's not surprising that a 911 owner will tire of his car if driven daily.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

...2016 991C4S ... I am getting bored with it. I use it as a DD ...It took 4 years for me to grow slightly tired of my 981S. ...am not finding as much pleasure in driving it as my 981. ...I would have gotten a GT4 in a heartbeat if it had PDK but can't sit in traffic with a stick.
All of your answers are here.

1) You loved the 981S far longer than the 991S.
2) You can't avoid traffic
3) you're bored with your 991.
4) You think PDK is the solution to traffic, but what you're finding is that it's the problem with boredom.

Many people just automatically think that a clutched manual and traffic don't mix. Why is that? The definition of why traffic is boring is there's nothing to do. You want to be driving but all you're doing is lifting your foot, letting the car roll forward, dropping your foot, lifting your foot, letting car roll forward, dropping your foot...

Anything that adds complexity to that process, engages you with the car and demands you pay at least a modicum of attention to what you're doing will add interest. Will make a game of it. If you like shifting a manual, think of traffic as a way to get to do even more of what you love! People have it backwards: PDK is outstanding on the track; it's out of its element in traffic.

Finally multiply all the above by the sublimity of the super-short-throw 6M in the GT4, add in the very authentic-sounding PSE sounds out of the rear (no false-sounding gurgle/burble on overrun), the dialed in GT3 suspension, the Sport Cup 2 tires, and all of a sudden, your boring commute just became an event, an occasion. Day after day after day...

I can't help you with your son riding in back. Perhaps it's just gonna have to be a case of him getting to enjoy the blessing of a delayed gratification lesson; he'll soon be old enough to ride up front. He has the rest of his life to enjoy cars; your days are dwindling while you drive a car you've grown bored with.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:19 PM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Have you seen the F150 Shelby truck?
That'll work too!

Anything F-150 and a 911. Couldn't imagine just having a 911. The utility of the F-150 is priceless...kids to lacrosse practice, trips to Tahoe, hauling bikes, trash, camping/fishing/hunting etc...

Quick Reply: Can't believe I am saying this but I am getting bored with my car