Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 PM
tinkll1
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the spot on reply to the question I was going to ask. The 3 choices should work with my 991.1 Turbo S, and I'm leaning toward # 2, OEM without the Porsche parts number.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, I'll never use Safelite again. Used them back in 2012 to repair the windshield in my wife's 2011 Lexus GS350 and you could see waves in the sub-OEM level glass and they screwed up sealing the windshield properly. Caused my ECU to get wet following rains and car washes and quite a few trips to the dealer for repairs. They covered attempted a second repair and couldn't do it right. I ended up using a local company that specializes in higher end glass work and automobiles. I ended up with OEM glass and the differences were positively noticeable.

I was visiting the same local glass company a couple weeks ago getting a chip repaired in my Cayenne and he said the job seems easy and many people think glass is the same, but once you've experienced the differences, you know better. To me, you get what you pay for. Personally, I didn't pay $130k+ for a vehicle to look through inferior glass and I am not letting someone botch a job or learn on my nickel. YMMV.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I installed clearplex film on my windshield, suppose to prevent stone chips and absorb quite a bit of damage.
We’ll see.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:18 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Dropped mine off this morning for a windshield replacement. It was pitted pretty badly (what is up with Porsche glass anyway?) and had a star from a rock chip.

Hoping for no drama. The dealership assures me they do the work in house and have been Porsche trained on the procedure.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:44 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Dealership (Porsche of Livermore) told me to go to an Indy as they sub it out. I went to a local guy, paid the $50 deductible and they installed a NON OEM windshield (Geico would not cover an OEM).
Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM
pishter
Intermediate

Just had a windshield replacement myself. What started as a nickel size spiderweb from a rock turned into 2 feet in 2 hours.

Had quotes from non dealer places for about $800-1000 using OEM glass.

What those quotes did not include was recalibrating the radar for my Lane Change Assist. In addition to recalibrating the system, the car also requires an alignment as part of that recalibration. That meant those outside dealer glass replacement places would still need to bring the car to the dealer to get the car back to fully functional LCA. I was told if it wasn't done, you'd get an error.

With that in mind, I got it replaced at the dealer. He brought in someone to do it. They don't do glass replacement themselves. But it saved me time and headaches from a possible faulty LCA without calibration and alignment.

Total cost was around $2k. Fortunately I had a glass deductible of $250 so that's what I paid.

The car is a 2019 991.2 GTS so earlier models may not need that recalibration and alignment for the LCA?

Last edited by pishter; 05-06-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more details
Old 05-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts

I took mine to the dealer. They contracted it out to another shop. Had to redo it but I still wind noises over 120mph near the rear view mirror area.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
Dropped mine off this morning for a windshield replacement. It was pitted pretty badly (what is up with Porsche glass anyway?) and had a star from a rock chip.

Hoping for no drama. The dealership assures me they do the work in house and have been Porsche trained on the procedure.

This may or may not be a good thing, considering the screw ups that I have heard happen by Porsche techs.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

I just had the windshield on my 991.2 replaced by the dealer, and honestly I'm not sure I would use the dealer again. First off I had to do all sorts of scheduling on my own because they contract out to an actual windshield repair company (as many have stated) but for some reason my dealer wanted me to separately schedule with the subcontractor then let them know and not surprisingly there was myriad points of confusion about who was doing what and when. In the end it took about 10 separate phone calls to schedule. Then the cost was a lot more than it should be, and they screwed up the re-fitting of the interior. There are weird gaps in the interior trim (see my other post), and they somehow jammed in a USB cable I had running from the passenger footwell 12v socket so it's now stuck inside the dash somewhere and I can't get it out. I now have to wait 3 weeks for the dealer to fix their screw up.

It might be just my dealer, but in my case it didn't seem to help and I wish I'd just saved my pennies and gone directly to the glass repair place.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:20 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I just had mine done by my dealer and I am really happy with the results. No issues at all.
It feels like a new car, getting all those speckled pits gone!

Thanks Park Place in Dallas!
Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Got lucky. Had 2 pits and one of them started to spider. Immediately called dealer next morning and they had me stop by to check it out. Little transparent tape over the pits until their contractor could be scheduled a few days later prevented any further damage.

Quick check/consult with dealer lead to a simple repair, no replacement.

Thank you Loeber Porsche.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:41 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone mind measuring the gaps between the edge of their windshield and the a-pillar on the left versus right side of their car? I believe this was covered by the gasket on prior gen 911s...but on the 991s there is a gap that runs all the way around the edge of the glass (except the bottom).

The gap on my recently replaced windshield is 3mm on the driver's side but 2mm on the other side (measured with a digital caliper). Minor but still annoying.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:09 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Had a strike on the windshield of my Merc SUV coming home from a NC trip just before Thanksgiving, it was a small crack that turned into a large crack after a cold front came through. In FL, insurance pays for 100% of windshield replacements.

Dealer referred me to an Orlando area shop, Ideal Glass; instead of them coming to me, I drove to their shop and a tech put in the Mercedes glass in less than an hour, it looked like nothing had happened. No damaged trim, everything lined up. Several months later, zero issues.

If anyone needs glass replacement in near the Orlando area, I recommend them.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you do a thread search you'll see some discussions about this in the last few months. Dealers don't do this themselves. Most everybody ends up contracting it out to SafeLite. They installed OEM glass in mine and did it perfectly. Just ask for one of their Master installers.
Same here.
Jason
Old 01-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TuonoR
Anyone mind measuring the gaps between the edge of their windshield and the a-pillar on the left versus right side of their car? I believe this was covered by the gasket on prior gen 911s...but on the 991s there is a gap that runs all the way around the edge of the glass (except the bottom).

The gap on my recently replaced windshield is 3mm on the driver's side but 2mm on the other side (measured with a digital caliper). Minor but still annoying.

Just measured the gaps on my windshield at 2.64mm and 2.71mm. (Digital Caliper)

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement?