Sponsored by:

Tire and Rim road hazard coverage

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM
aberfoyle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and Rim road hazard coverage

New to the forum, I have ordered a 911 C4S. The salesman is trying to convince me to buy "Tire and Rim Road Hazard Coverage " in case I drive over a pothole and damage the aluminium alloy wheels which would be replaced under this coverage.
Does anyone know of this happening? There are several other extended services they are pushing as well, paint protection, interior protection, dent and windshield, key warranty etc etc
It never ends!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Greenfall
Intermediate

dont bother with any of them. especially if you want to enjoy your car. Any "inappropriate" driving will imediately invalidate any of those.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving this to the 991 forum.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aberfoyle
New to the forum, I have ordered a 911 C4S. The salesman is trying to convince me to buy "Tire and Rim Road Hazard Coverage " in case I drive over a pothole and damage the aluminium alloy wheels which would be replaced under this coverage.
Does anyone know of this happening? There are several other extended services they are pushing as well, paint protection, interior protection, dent and windshield, key warranty etc etc
It never ends!
My car arrived and it is being prepped. I took this Tire/Rim package for 6 years as I tend to keep my cars for a long time. 6 years was a couple of dollars more than 3 years. If you get a flat, they replace the tire. If you skuff the rim, they replace it as well. Since it was cheaper than most options, I went for it. Peace of mind to know that the rims are warrantied. My local dealer is great, so I am sure they will treat me well. Good luck and safe driving.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Peace of mind...I had an SL550 with MB 20 rims (dealer option), bought the coverage...never had so much as a 2 PSI drop in the tires in 4 years, traded it in on an S5, passed on the coverage, curbed the drivers side (both) in the first 2 weeks...I just took delivery of my 991.2 T4GTS...I paid for the coverage.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
My car arrived and it is being prepped. I took this Tire/Rim package for 6 years as I tend to keep my cars for a long time. 6 years was a couple of dollars more than 3 years. If you get a flat, they replace the tire. If you skuff the rim, they replace it as well. Since it was cheaper than most options, I went for it. Peace of mind to know that the rims are warrantied. My local dealer is great, so I am sure they will treat me well. Good luck and safe driving.
You might want to read the coverage carefully if you are expecting a new wheel because you scuff it. Maybe your policy does, but most don't. Most won't replace a wheel unless it is bent bad enough that the tire will not hold air.

There is a reason the dealers push these policies so vigorously, and it's not for your benefit.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Here's another thing to consider. Fast forward 15,000 miles when you start buying new tires. If you buy from the Tire Rack, road hazard is included now on many of the tire brand purchases.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 AM
911sTO
Advanced

If you get a flat, they replace the tire. If you skuff the rim, they replace it as well.

I would double check the fine print and the deductible. What you describe sounds a little too good to be true.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

They don't replace the wheel for a scuff, they repair it
Old 08-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, the deductible is $50. Nonetheless, I bought the coverage and got a flat at 1,200 miles. Dealer replaced the tire no questions asked. Total cost for tire, mounting and balancing was $500. I paid $50.

It is hard to predict how many flats or how much rim damage a car will take, but I do feel like I am well on the way to breaking even on this insurance policy.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:53 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

First 6000 miles, I have already claimed 3 rear tires. You'll never bend a rim. The suspension is just that good.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 AM
OBX
Track Day

Originally Posted by bmedude
First 6000 miles, I have already claimed 3 rear tires.
+1. Picked up a bolt smack in the middle of rear 305 within days of getting my C4S. Dealer put new one on, no questions asked. While I had never bought tire/rim protection before, with the cost to replace these tires, I figured it worth while. YMMV.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

If you live and drive in a big city (with construction everywhere), your tires will be nail and screw magnets. My tire and rim coverage has paid for itself and has eliminated the frustration of buying new tires only to have to replace one a few months later.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I get the point that this is a profit opportunity for the dealer. But think of it like insurance. Insurance companies generally MAKE money, but you pay for it anyway. This is an extension of that. The CL Turbo wheels on my GTS are *really* expensive if one ever needs to be replaced. I got the coverage and now I don't have to worry about it. It seems these coverages and the actual willingness to pay under the policies have gotten a bit better over time.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 AM
dodgersfanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So I work in the car business and it's a well known fact that tire and wheel insurance in the North East is well worth the money charged. When the policies first became available around 15 years ago cost on them were around $200, the cost on the policies have steadily increased with each passing year as insurance companies experience massive loss rates incurred from the north east market. Like health insuarance where the young healthy insured balance out the excessive cost of the older or unhealthy insured, the rest of the country like SoCal, the Midwest, Florida, etc balance out the losses incurred in the north east. I know for a fact that BMW Finacial's loss rate on the tire and wheel that they offer is in excess of 150% in the north east. The road quality up here is generally horrible and with all these new construction and repair projects on the road, you pick up nails and bolts everywhere. This is not even mentioning the potholes, no matter how quickly they fill them, a winter season of snow, ice, salt, and heavy snow plowing always manages to litter them everywhere along the highways. So I guess the moral of the story is that think of tire and wheel as health insurance, if you're not living in the northeast, you're a young healthy individual and you may want to take your chances, if you're living in the northeast, you may be elderly or have a pre existing condition and definitely want to get insured.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Tire and Rim road hazard coverage