Sponsored by:

Luckiest man alive!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Wowsers..... that some good heads up driving on your part.

I would have needed a new drivers seat and steering wheel.

I would have crapped myself and gripped the wheel so hard my finger imprints would be permanent.
LOL I doubt that.
I've never had a bad accident or even a close call like the OP on the street, but I've had my share on the track. When incidents occur where your life is in jeopardy, everything slows down. Although the incident may have only lasted for a few seconds, it seems like an eternity. Maybe this is a coping mechanism developed by man over thousands of years to increase our chance of survival in life and death experiences.
Bottom line is that I expect most everyone will perform beyond their expectations in life threatening incidents.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:09 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bet you will be able to relive the moments in slow motion for a looong period of time... I still remember fine when my rear end passed me on a turn under heavy rain.... and that was more than a decade ago....
Old 07-23-2017, 01:58 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you you made it through.

Luckiest man alive? Sure sounds like it. It's tough to walk away from an encounter with a swerving semi.

In addition to giving credit to the Porsche engineers, you may want to consider thanking your guardian angel. Sounds like he's on the job, too.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:49 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

One of the unfortunate psychological consequences of this is that for the near future (at least), every time a truck comes towards you at high speed, there may be a little voice inside wondering if it's going to stray into your lane again. A few months ago a driver ran a stop sign and smacked the front end of my Lexus. Now every time I approach an intersection, my HR still goes up a few BPM. Annoying.
On a different note, I'd probably also get the alignment checked. A wheel impact that hard I think would likely misalign something.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry to hear, glad you had your attention on the road, not fiddling with your phone!!
This guy was not checking his mirrors either.....
its at 5:52 towards the end, can't get film to start there...sorry

Last edited by Jerrygreene; 07-24-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: need to star video later
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
Sorry to hear, glad you had your attention on the road, not fiddling with your phone!!
This guy was not checking his mirrors either.....
its at 5:52 towards the end, can't get film to start there...sorry

https://youtu.be/7h0rkMUNp88?t=5m52s
Just playing devil's advocate, but maybe the passing guy should have recognized that the guy that bumped into him could not have seen him. It obviously appears that the driver of the car that crashed is the faster driver/car (since he was prepared to pass 3 cars), but the car that side-swiped him may have had no reason to see or expect the driver of the car that crashed to be where he was since that car was shielded by the second car he passed.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:40 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I am far from an expert...but I wonder if that wheel might be reparable? Are there any cracks or are those only surface scrapes? Is the wheel bent?
The wheel looks easily repairable based on VISIBLE damage.

Hopefully you got the info from the truck!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awrryan
Just playing devil's advocate, but maybe the passing guy should have recognized that the guy that bumped into him could not have seen him. It obviously appears that the driver of the car that crashed is the faster driver/car (since he was prepared to pass 3 cars), but the car that side-swiped him may have had no reason to see or expect the driver of the car that crashed to be where he was since that car was shielded by the second car he passed.
on track, if you move over two lanes these days with out looking, this happens... just imagine if it was a 991 cup.... those cars are incredibly fast, and not that loud..
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM
Jaxgm
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank God you're OK, everything on the car can be fixed or replaced.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I thought that your assertion was without merit until I watched the clip again. The second car was well to the left of the first car in the group of three. So there was some shielding, but nevertheless the driver of the 1st car can't assume and he has to use those mirrors. OTH if you want to assume, then you must assume that someone is going to pass you. This applies to the street as well as to the track.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Furthermore, it's usually the responsibility of the passee to stay on line, while it's the obligation of the passer to get around the slower car, even if it means going off line. It looked like the red car was getting onto the proper line to set up for the right-hander coming up. The guy passing him, should have been inside of the red car, to his right, not his left. The passing car ended up trying to pass three cars on the left and took a risk that the last car wouldn't see him. Turned out badly.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:07 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

New wheel AND new underwear. At minimum ! (hey, it'll make for a fun claim and they'll laugh so hard they'll give you the wheel)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Hey just glad thread starter was ok. Amazing that's alll that happened.its getting crazier x the day out there with so many distractions for all us drivers. Drive , leave the phone alone!
Old 09-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Fiat88
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

UPDATE; I figured out was created the dirt /grime behind each wheel.
  1. Upon initial delivery of car it was detailed ( not uncommon) however each tires had a excessive amount of tire dressing applied which sprayed the underside when driving from back home post pick-up- All is well.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiat88
UPDATE; I figured out was created the dirt /grime behind each wheel.
  1. Upon initial delivery of car it was detailed ( not uncommon) however each tires had a excessive amount of tire dressing applied which sprayed the underside when driving from back home post pick-up- All is well.
huh?

Quick Reply: Luckiest man alive!