Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 TTS to 991.2 C2S, is it a good move?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:01 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 TTS to 991.2 C2S, is it a good move?

I currently have a 997.2 TTS in excellent condition and use it as a fun car during weekends. I'm considering to upgrade to a slightly used 2017 991.2 C2S PDK that's well optioned for a bit more money. I'm curious if it is a smart move to let go of the massive power (and the PCCB's) for something more modern.

The TTS feels very analogue and not so comfy but it's not bad and the supercar speed is really fun. Coming from a 997.1TT, I do think that the.2 TTS is a big improvement in every aspect especially in terms of quality feel. I've driven a friend's 991.1 TTS once and the overall feel of the car was another big jump. But I do not know anyone with a C2S so I couldn't compare.

If you have owned or driven both generations extensively, in your opinion, is it worth upgrading to a more modern car with less power? Would you consider this a step up or down? Or do you think the trade off is not enough to let go of the 997.2 TTS as it is generally quite rare? I do have several other DD cars which all are very modern so the P-car upgrade is purely as a fun car.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 997.2 PDK Turbo and now have a 991.2 C2S PDK, although there was 3-4 years between owning the two, so not straight from one to the other. Obviously the 997.2 Turbo is a very fast car, but I always felt that a lot of that power was just never useable unless you were on a track, so it was almost like a waste. Also, I dont think I felt as excited driving it, since there was really no exhaust sound to go along with the speed.
The 991.2 S is plenty fast, still even more power than you really need, and seems much more fun to drive with the PSE making nice sounds and pops/crackles on deceleration. The Torque peaks early in the RPM range and holds steady for most of the rev range; I think this makes it feel as fast around town as the 997.2. Also, the upgraded Tech is definitely a nice thing to have, and the 991 interior is in general a big step up and the car is overall more comfortable.
To give you an idea of speed comparison, I ran a 11.0@126 in the 997.2 Turbo and just ran a 11.5@120 in the 991.2 S, so the new one is no slouch
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I love the 997.2 and a TTS is one of the best and top of the line of the turbo food chain. I had a 997.2 TT and loved it. Wish I still had it even though I really like the 991 4S.
I may go back to a TT or TTS 997 or 991.1 vintage. Just my opinion but they are hard cars to beat. I would keep the TTS. 997.2 TTS is a beautiful car and with minimal tuning mod one of the fastest street cars you can own and still every day reliable.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

For your purposes (weekend fun car) no way. The ONLY reason I upgraded from a 7.1TT to a 1.1GTS was I wanted more of a DD vehicle my wife would ride in. My previous Turbos had both been modded a little, plus the platform was more analog, as you put it, and rougher (transmitted more of everything to the driver) than a 991. So I decided "hmmmm... Let's see how this does as a luxury car with lots of sport rather than my previous Porsches (sportscar with a little luxury)."

I was good with that for two years then felt the urge to go back to raw.

But that's the real decider, as far as I'm concerned: raw vs. refined. On the "late-model 911" spectrum, 997TT is raw, 991.2 is refined.

Of course, on the "All late model luxury cars" spectrum both are fairly raw. And on the "All 911s through history" spectrum, both are very, very refined.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Thanks for the advise! I've decided to keep the 997.2 Turbo S for now as it is a really good car with less than 4,000 miles on it. And it will be practically impossible to find a similar condition TTS if I sell now.

I just happened to have an itch for the newer 991 and I came across a CPO 991.2 C2S with very low mileage and I was curious how a 991.2 is.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:04 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

I been holding off on a used 991.1 for sometime as the steering wheel shifter was still the push button type and interior looked too similar say, my Macan.

Recently, I found a nice deal on a 2017 991.2 with less than 1,000 miles and grabbed the opportunity. So now, it sits beside my 997.2 TTS which I almost sold before.

The 991.2 is a really much more advanced platform and I am growing to like it a lot. It feels more like a pure sports car as power delivery feels like an NA engine. Maybe a regular person not familiar with Porsches may not even notice that it's a turbo car. I also enjoy the blipping sound coming from the PSE when in sport mode.

Admittedly, I am enjoying it more than the 997 at the moment.

Last edited by speed_kills; 11-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
I been holding off on a used 991.1 for sometime as the steering wheel shifter was still the push button type and interior looked too similar say, my Macan.

Recently, I found a nice deal on a 2017 991.2 with less than 1,000 miles and grabbed the opportunity. So now, it sits beside my 997.2 TTS which I almost sold before.

The 991.2 is a really much more advanced platform and I am growing to like it a lot. It feels more like a pure sports car as power delivery seems like an NA and its purely rear wheel. Maybe a regular person not familiar with Porsches may not even notice that it's a turbo car. I also enjoy the blipping sound coming from the PSE when in sport mode.

Admittedly, I am enjoying it more than the 997 at the moment but I am starting to miss the feel of a more analogue, raw, and less comfortable car than my TTS.
. To me, the 997 feels more 911 like. The 991 feels more bulky. The .2 closes the gap somewhat but not completely.

The 991 hits back with way better interior, build quality, etc. Its a great car but different. Definitely a bit more aloof.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

@KA
Old 11-24-2017, 12:49 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ain't we all want to upgrade to newer and better and latest technology. I just sold my 997TT manual in excellent condition and super low mileage, I already regret selling that car. I am looking for the next upgrade and most likely 718 Spyder. 991.2 CarreraT is also high on the list but rumors 718 has 4.0L engine, if so I absolutely will get it. Back to your TTS, as for weekend ride, I would keep it knowing it has more power/torque and much less depreciate in the future.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The 991.2 S out handles the 997 turbo. Quicker on track too
Old 11-24-2017, 08:35 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The difference in look of 1 vs 2 interior is minimal. Also, #1 cars are not limited to push pull buttons. Can get paddles; mine has them.

The 2 major differences are engine and apple car play. Everything else is incremental at best. RWS is an option and a big improvement if you get a car optioned with this.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I am a former 997TT owner. Loved the car still can’t believe I gave it up. Drove a 991.1 4S for 4 years. Great car but I will say I did miss the rush that only the TT cars can give.
Just moved to a 991.1 TTS. This car is so different than my previous TT. More refined, solid feeling more sure footed. And the power although great in the 997 TT is intoxicating in the 991 TTS. Power comes on quicker and lag greatly diminished. Super car numbers and still plenty of power if you want to tap it with mods. The PCCB’s are fantastic. You won’t regret this move.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Back to your TTS, as for weekend ride, I would keep it knowing it has more power/torque and much less depreciate in the future.
Yes, I've decided to keep the 997 TTS and it sits side by side with my 991.2 S. It was the first 911 I truly enjoyed so it has some sentimental value for me.

Since the 997 TTS is quite rare where I'm from, I do get inquiries regularly if I want to sell it. At this point, I can actually sell it almost at cost since I did get it used with very low mileage. So I guess it says a lot about the 997 TTS at least in my country.

Took it on a 100km run last weekend and I have to say, with the latest cars so refined nowadays, it is actually fun to have a sort of modern analog car that you can take long distance without big worries (sadly, can't say the same to my previous Ferrari). And I had a Europipe installed in it improving sound and power delivery.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I am a former 997TT owner. Loved the car still can’t believe I gave it up. Drove a 991.1 4S for 4 years. Great car but I will say I did miss the rush that only the TT cars can give.
Just moved to a 991.1 TTS. This car is so different than my previous TT. More refined, solid feeling more sure footed. And the power although great in the 997 TT is intoxicating in the 991 TTS. Power comes on quicker and lag greatly diminished. Super car numbers and still plenty of power if you want to tap it with mods. The PCCB’s are fantastic. You won’t regret this move.
I've tested a friend's 991.2 TTS and it is truely an incredible car. Power delivery is seamless and it is MUCH more composed than my 997.2 TTS. My only criticism if it's even worth mentioning is that I find the rear profile a bit too wide ruining the 991 exterior lines a bit.

In my country, people tend to hold on to their 991.1 and 991.2 longer unlike say, an Audi R8 V10 Plus. Also, brand new is too expensive at US$375k so I try to wait for a used deal in case one pops up. I was so surprised to find an almost new 991.2 S actually so I grabbed it on the same day it was offered to me saving almost $50k in the process.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
For your purposes (weekend fun car) no way. The ONLY reason I upgraded from a 7.1TT to a 1.1GTS was I wanted more of a DD vehicle my wife would ride in. My previous Turbos had both been modded a little, plus the platform was more analog, as you put it, and rougher (transmitted more of everything to the driver) than a 991. So I decided "hmmmm... Let's see how this does as a luxury car with lots of sport rather than my previous Porsches (sportscar with a little luxury)."

I was good with that for two years then felt the urge to go back to raw.

But that's the real decider, as far as I'm concerned: raw vs. refined. On the "late-model 911" spectrum, 997TT is raw, 991.2 is refined.

Of course, on the "All late model luxury cars" spectrum both are fairly raw. And on the "All 911s through history" spectrum, both are very, very refined.
Agreed on all accounts.

Think of a dashboard of pendulums... The analog sports car vs luxury daily driver, Power vs throttle response, etc. If you have an "itch" then you have a great platform to mod very easy with proven options. Yes, the new car options will come but it's still too new to call anything proven on it...

Quick Reply: 997.2 TTS to 991.2 C2S, is it a good move?