Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by P-car fan
I'm located right in Sarasota so would come to Suncoast for the install. Few questions:
What labor charge would the Suncoast service dept quote for the install?
Suncoast is listed as a certified GIAC installer; if the service dept does the GIAC tune, do they instantly flag Porsche NA that the car is modded?
Another Rennlist local! We are a GIAC dealer and also a Softronic dealer. Both great tunes. We are just the parts side of it so we can't really say exactly what an installation quote would be. Give Mike or Jason a call in our Porsche service department and they would be happy to help you. Our guys just built a Stage 3 991 Turbo S rocketship last week. The ECU flagging is another question for those guys as well. Tell them Pete sent you

Local line: 941-923-1700
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25
how capable turbo motors are Porsche knows if they allowed it for the base it would cut into sales of S and GTS. It's all about money and selling cars.
Goes beyond that, the 991 and 997 has different blocks, the 991.2 are the same. I’d rather buy the GTS turbos, swap them and upload a GTS tune. Alternatively, an aftermarket tune for the GTS. The latter would be interesting, but of course with warranty worries.
So I still don’t know if a dealership would refuse without technical explanation to install the kit on a base. My guess is yes, they will refuse it.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:36 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Can I do this with the Base engine? It seems like I can and would be a huge bargain.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:47 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Can I do this with the Base engine? It seems like I can and would be a huge bargain.
The hardware, I don’t see why not. Getting the stealership to upload the ECU is a different story, I believe.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Honestly take off S turbos would be a nice upgrade to a base (with an ECU flash to stock S configuration of course). Someone needs to figure that out.
Not really. If doing it go for GTS or it's almost pointless unless the S turbos are free.

I'm seeing if I can get the GTS turbos to work on a base. Those interested feel free to PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Unless it's a Porsche approved mod, I'd be shocked if you could get a Porsche dealer to install the kit on a base car.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Call BGB in Florida, or PM him, and ask him to comment here.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the S/GTS come with more cooling capacity, bigger brakes, and who knows what else. This may not matter at all for some peoples’ use cases but the car has been engineered not to blow up when using all the performance on a warm day in Kuwait (50C).

I suspect that the factory would say they’d want to upgrade more than just the engine to warranty the car and at that point you might as well get the S/GTS/TT...
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
Also, the S/GTS come with more cooling capacity, bigger brakes, and who knows what else. This may not matter at all for some peoples’ use cases but the car has been engineered not to blow up when using all the performance on a warm day in Kuwait (50C).

I suspect that the factory would say they’d want to upgrade more than just the engine to warranty the car and at that point you might as well get the S/GTS/TT...
Is there some intercooler difference we aren't aware of?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe. I was thinking more of the extra ducts, vents and larger radiators as you progress up the 911 range. Comparing the basic Carrera to the GT2 RS, the latter is mostly holes to let the air in/out!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I dropped the hammer on the deal today. Parts arrive at the begining of August or thereabouts. I will keep you posted.

At the end of the day, I'm paying about the same price in OZ as the kit costs in the US with labour added on top. In my case the kit really comes down to two turbos and the engine cover. I have RAS thus the brake ducts are already fitted.

Some thoughts after discussion with various people - it is absolutely clear that Porsche has a very tight rein on their dealer/supplier network.

The critical path items are the codes that allow the ECU to be updated/remapped/reprogrammed - this appears to be all encompassing e.g. links through SC and PSE, throttle mapping, engine mapping, boost control and ultimately PDK.

Thus in effect, the cost covers two turbos and a full warranty supported remap which turns your S into a GTS. In essence this kit represents the closest thing you will get to a Porsche bargain.

There is no doubt in my mind that these turbos will fit a base model so long as it is fitted with PSE. However, the official Porsche remap will not be possible as it is controlled by codes which are linked to the VIN.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
PacificGerman
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

If anyone does this upgrade and would like to get rid of their S Turbochargers, let me know.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I know that after the installation of the hardware the car needs to have the ecu reflashed. Having said that the installation of the hardware appears to be pretty simple if you have the tools and know how. Anyone attempted to do the hardware installation themselves and then have a Porsche Tech do the software? Or would the car be undriveable to the dealer without the new s/w?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Maybe the will come up with a "light" version kit for the C2.

Having said that, my C2 is enough for me at the moment. In the future after I learn how to handle what I have, perhaps.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flickroll
I know that after the installation of the hardware the car needs to have the ecu reflashed. Having said that the installation of the hardware appears to be pretty simple if you have the tools and know how. Anyone attempted to do the hardware installation themselves and then have a Porsche Tech do the software? Or would the car be undriveable to the dealer without the new s/w?
A friendly dealership may not be enough. Today it’s All vin-based coding. They upload a request for that VIN and get a code from the factory allowing the software to reign over the hardware.
A base X51 upgrade is not in their interest.

One can buy the turbo alone, the parts numbers are freely available in the internets. I believe that some gain would happen with such swap, probably not all of it as the turbo pressure is one of the differences. Perhaps a future aftermarket ECU flash with a turbo swap...

Quick Reply: X51 kit - 991.2S - Suncoast