Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:27 AM
medacus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info slink. I love the car but I do miss the scream of the NA engine. So many choices for exhausts, too bad it's not possible to hear them all in a comparison. Youtube videos only give you so much.

Im not sure about the whole breakin period thing. So much controversy but it's in the car manual. I figured I'd just follow it.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Put a simple, dealer installed Sharkwerks on it and forget it. It's not too, too loud...just right. I've had a couple of 991 TTS and put it on both. Cheaper, too.
I agree. You can pay more, but there is really not a lot of reason to.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Put a simple, dealer installed Sharkwerks on it and forget it. It's not too, too loud...just right. I've had a couple of 991 TTS and put it on both. Cheaper, too.
Sharkwerks is most likely the way to go.
My local track has a 100db (4000rpm) regulation, would that be a problem?
Any powergains with Shark?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Will try to do a sound clip for you guys...
Old 06-18-2017, 05:02 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Agree, spot on, did the Sharkworks too and it's a great happy medium. It's catback so should be no warranty issues. It adds some sound to the TTS but still not close to NA GT3s that hit 9K rpm.
It all depends on what you're looking for.

If you're going to tune the car you really need to have a high flow cat exhaust like a Europipe or catless.

If you just want a little more sound Sharkwerks is fine. But if you keep the stock cats (as you do with Sharkwerks) you really can't do much with the tune of the car. Very small power gains with stock exhaust and tune as a tuner will not increase power more than the restricted flow stock cats can handle
Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

On my 997 TTS before I went with the full BBI exhaust I had the Sharkwerks with some cat deletes...you can also do that if you are looking for more flow and more power...
Old 06-29-2017, 03:22 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
That is strange...anybody have more input on why???

Manuel
I got deeply involved in this issue with a 991.2 C4S. The best answer I know is that in Sport mode, a little bit of gas is injected on throttle lift off, which then burns off in the hot manifold / exhaust system, creating the backfire sounds.

In Sport+ Porsche leaves the throttle body open (even though you may have lifted completely off the gas) but completely shuts off fuel so that air continues to pump through the engine and out through the turbos - keeping them spinning faster in anticipation of you getting back on the throttle. Because there's no fuel there's no backfires.

This scheme reduces turbo lag compared to Sport mode. All the 991.2 models (even those with the 3.0L turbo engine) do this and I've read that the TT and TTs do it also.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:24 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
I got deeply involved in this issue with a 991.2 C4S. The best answer I know is that in Sport mode, a little bit of gas is injected on throttle lift off, which then burns off in the hot manifold / exhaust system, creating the backfire sounds.

In Sport+ Porsche leaves the throttle body open (even though you may have lifted completely off the gas) but completely shuts off fuel so that air continues to pump through the engine and out through the turbos - keeping them spinning faster in anticipation of you getting back on the throttle. Because there's no fuel there's no backfires.

This scheme reduces turbo lag compared to Sport mode. All the 991.2 models (even those with the 3.0L turbo engine) do this and I've read that the TT and TTs do it also.
Very very nice conclusion.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 AM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordic Flyer
Sharkwerks is most likely the way to go.
My local track has a 100db (4000rpm) regulation, would that be a problem?
Any powergains with Shark?
I have the Sharkwerks on my 991.2 TTS, love the muscular sound and keeps the car's full warranty, I could not consider anything less than this.
I did 3 Track days so far with a 92 db limit and no problem going full tilt with the Sharkwerks.
My friend with a stock GT3 RS got kicked off the track at 93 db today.

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound