Filling up Petrol/Gas/Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Filling up Petrol/Gas/Fuel

Hi all,

When I fill up the tank on my 991.2, if I stop when the pump automatically stops the tank only fills up to just over 3/4 capacity on the gauge. If I put more fuel in it after that point the gauge then reflects as full.

Is this normal? Should I just leave it when it automatically stops?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Great. I am not insane. Probably. Maybe.

I've had this (partial fill) happen to me a couple of times. But, ONLY when attempting to fill with non-tier-1 gasoline (e.g. not Mobil/Exxon, not Shell, etc.)

Edit:

Except in my cases, the automatic cut-off triggered a second time with little additional flow. Since over-filling can lead to expensive repairs of the fuel vapor recovery system (thank you California) I didn't continue to attempt filling. Ended-up with 3/4 full.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^this..it is not advised to "top" up the fill...after the nozzle clicks off one should end filling
Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 AM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would keeping fueling, maybe try another station, shell always work for me
Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

It is really weird, sometimes it fills up completely other times it does not. Being a bit OCD, I find this very annoying.

Fuel quality is good (Shell or BP).
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 PM
TustinJim
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry a little late on the thread, but happens to me all the time. I found after the first shut off, I hold the gas nozzle about 100 degrees sideways and slowly fill the tank until the valve shutoff. That fills the tank as I'm also OCD. Happens at Shell/Chevron/Mobil
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Auto shut off gives me a 3/4 fill. I ALWAYS do the unthinkable and top off manually. I have never had a spill nor damaged the car, pump, environment, my shoes, the pavement, or any other of the litany of things the warnings say will happen.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:11 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Never happens to me. When the pump clicks off the tank is always full.

Usually if it clicks early there is a problem with its the pump not the car.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

You can get a small plastic ring that fits over your fill spout that prevents this from happening. CA pumps cause this with their rubber gas recovery. I think Suncoast sells them, and they work!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Never had this issue, but I set the gas pump on the slowest fill setting, to reduce splashing and reducing premature shut off.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to have this happen all the time on my 997 4S but it depended on the gas station. Haven't experienced the same issue in my TTS yet. Does this happen to you regardless of the gas station you use?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhebert
You can get a small plastic ring that fits over your fill spout that prevents this from happening. CA pumps cause this with their rubber gas recovery. I think Suncoast sells them, and they work!
Were you thinking of this? https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X7NOZZLE.html

Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PPFANBOY
Hi all,

When I fill up the tank on my 991.2, if I stop when the pump automatically stops the tank only fills up to just over 3/4 capacity on the gauge. If I put more fuel in it after that point the gauge then reflects as full.

Is this normal? Should I just leave it when it automatically stops?

Thanks.
This used to happen with my two cars once in a while. I like to have the gas tank full as I like to maximize the number of miles I can drive between stops for gas.

What I found worked for me was to position the gas tank nozzle nearly upside down -- not quite completely upside down but with the nozzle say at around 10 to 11 o'clock. Also, because fuel nozzles in most areas I drive in have fuel vapor recovery systems I make sure to hold the nozzle in contact with the fuel filler tube to maintain a good seal so the fuel nozzle's vapor recover system works as it is supposed to and doesn't trigger a premature fuel shut off.

Except in very rare cases this results in when the nozzle shuts off the fuel tank is full without being overfilled. If the tank is filled too full this can subject the charcoal canister to liquid fuel which is not good for the canister.

Once in a great while the nozzle shuts off at what feels to me too soon. So what I do is walk around and insert the key and turn it is on and check the fuel level. If it isn't full I resume filling the tank and invariably put in another couple of gallons.

This technique has worked very well for me over the years and is relatively painless other than I have to hold the nozzle upright and of course stand at the car while fueling the car. But this is a small price to pay to ensure consistent and complete fill ups.

Quick Reply: Filling up Petrol/Gas/Fuel