Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Hello all,

I'm picking up a 991.2 Turbo S cab next week. I would like to change the exhaust.

Quick question. On my Ferrari, the drive mode controls when the baffles on the exhaust are open. So if I want a quieter ride I leave it in "wet" mode.

Does it work the same in the Porsche turbo's? I see that the non-turbo versions have a dedicated exhaust button. I would like the ability to "turn" on and off the exhaust if I can.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Hey Jeff. Congrats!

On the TTS you get more aggressive sound from the exhaust in Sport and Sport+ but it's all in the tuning. Nothing mechanical is changing and the exhaust is "static" Pretty amazing for just a drive mode change!

If I can help you with anything or exhaust options feel free to reach out!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-23-2017, 07:58 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
Hello all,

I'm picking up a 991.2 Turbo S cab next week. I would like to change the exhaust.

Quick question. On my Ferrari, the drive mode controls when the baffles on the exhaust are open. So if I want a quieter ride I leave it in "wet" mode.

Does it work the same in the Porsche turbo's? I see that the non-turbo versions have a dedicated exhaust button. I would like the ability to "turn" on and off the exhaust if I can.

Thanks

Jeff
Just took delivery of my Turbo S Cab and had my Ottawa dealer install an aftermarket exhaust before final delivery. Definitely makes the car sound like it means business.... unlike the anemic Hoover vacuum sounds it makes with the stock exhaust. Still in break-in mode so I have yet to hear the full orchestra.. Can't wait!!

As SamboTT commented there's a significant difference between Normal and Sport/Sport+ settings even though there's nothing mechanical in the exhaust pathway, unlike GT3's or 991's with sport exhaust.

Exciting times ahead!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Thanks guys.

Just so I'm clear. Even with an aftermarket exhaust the drive mode does effect the sound. Even though it is computer controlled.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Yes!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:55 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

The 991 TTS exhaust is passive. It doesn't have actively controlled baffles. Sambo is right in that drive mode does affect the noise level and it is louder in Sport/Sport+. However the delta between normal and Sport is not as big as on your Ferrari, or for that matter as big as on a Carrera S with PSE.

If you want an exhaust which can open and close baffles to go from super quiet to super loud, you may want to look at Capristo.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...y-turbo-s.html

If you want to stick with passive, I love my Europipe, but I have heard rave reviews about the Kline Inconel High flow catted exhaust (which Sambo sells).
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Thanks all. Very useful info.

After hanging out on YouTube, and reading reviews. It seems like the Europipe is what I'm looking for. Something a bit more than stock, but not crazy loud at lower RPM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetsky
Thanks all. Very useful info.

After hanging out on YouTube, and reading reviews. It seems like the Europipe is what I'm looking for. Something a bit more than stock, but not crazy loud at lower RPM.
I chose a one-piece Europipe over the modular format Kline and have no regrets.

I'm sure had I gone with Kline I'd also have no regrets. However since never wanting to go cat-less, Kline's modular format was not important. At the end of the day price also played a small factor in my final choice.

My Porsche dealer principal and the Porsche tech who did the install were amazed by Europipe's build quality. It was an east install for them.

My suggestion, reach out to Steph at Europipe and also to Sambo at By Design to make your own conclusions. They are both very open, sincere and approachable.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I chose a one-piece Europipe over the modular format Kline and have no regrets.

I'm sure had I gone with Kline I'd also have no regrets. However since never wanting to go cat-less, Kline's modular format was not important. At the end of the day price also played a small factor in my final choice.

My Porsche dealer principal and the Porsche tech who did the install were amazed by Europipe's build quality. It was an east install for them.

My suggestion, reach out to Steph at Europipe and also to Sambo at By Design to make your own conclusions. They are both very open, sincere and approachable.

The build quality of the Europipe is astonishing. My service guy said it is better built than any OEM exhaust. I love that it is one piece and the 100 cel cats are rock solid.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
The build quality of the Europipe is astonishing. My service guy said it is better built than any OEM exhaust. I love that it is one piece and the 100 cel cats are rock solid.
Thanks solid advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I will see if I can approach it the same way you did by having the dealer do it prior to delivery. If not I will call the others you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question