Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Update

For future reference..

I ended up getting OZ Forgiata in 19" (9' Fr & 12" Rr).. 997 GT2RS offset (997 GT3RS) ET 47 & 48. Width fit is perfect. Steel brakes. Pictures of the wheels have been posted elsewhere on this forum.

Test mounted the wheels on the lift to check for any rubbing on calipers or suspension/chassis components and all was fine. After driving it around the block there was metal grinding noise.. Checked and removed the round dust/heat metal plates behind the discs and the noise was gone..

During a recent hillclimb race, in some of the steep/high G curves, I could hear some rubbing.. Checked the tires 265/35 and 325/30 Hoosier and fenders but no trace of rubbing.

Today I put the car on the lift again to upgrade the suspension, and saw shaved metal from the bottom of the rear wheel carrier on both sides..Deep, yet not enough to compromise the metal. While on the lift the wheels turn seamlessly and there is a gap of about 4mm, yet it seems that under strong compression, the wheel bends somewhat and touches at that point. With normal usage the rear wheels will not rub. Worth keeping in mind for track guys.

Rear Wheel:

Second Picture is from the internet not actual car
Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=Jean;14537363]For future reference..

I ended up getting OZ Forgiata in 19" (9' Fr & 12" Rr).. 997 GT2RS offset (997 GT3RS) ET 47 & 48. Width fit is perfect. Steel brakes. Pictures of the wheels have been posted elsewhere on this forum.

Test mounted the wheels on the lift to check for any rubbing on calipers or suspension/chassis components and all was fine. After driving it around the block there was metal grinding noise.. Checked and removed the round dust/heat metal plates behind the discs and the noise was gone..

During a recent hillclimb race, in some of the steep/high G curves, I could hear some rubbing.. Checked the tires 265/35 and 325/30 Hoosier and fenders but no trace of rubbing.

Today I put the car on the lift again to upgrade the suspension, and saw shaved metal from the bottom of the rear wheel carrier on both sides..Deep, yet not enough to compromise the metal. While on the lift the wheels turn seamlessly and there is a gap of about 4mm, yet it seems that under strong compression, the wheel bends somewhat and touches at that point. With normal usage the rear wheels will not rub. Worth keeping in mind for track guys.

Jean, looks like wheel contact happening only under high load at track due to suspension bushings deflecting, fore or aft braking or acceleration? The wear appears not on sides but front or back of carrier. Are you running OEM rubber or others ie steel mono or sphericals?
Old 10-17-2017, 02:30 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nolimits

Jean, looks like wheel contact happening only under high load at track due to suspension bushings deflecting, fore or aft braking or acceleration? The wear appears not on sides but front or back of carrier. Are you running OEM rubber or others ie steel mono or sphericals?
Good point, maybe a mix of both, wheel and rubber bushing deflection. I have most of them replaced but not the one for the lower wishbone in particular. The rubbing happened only under very high suspension compression (hillclimb environment). Will be testing with new suspension on a regular track this coming week end.

Closer look in the picture below. The bushing in the back side is a spherical bushing.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:47 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Chalk or mark the rubbing area (s) and go out on street to try and diagnose further? I.e. go over a speed bump or something in soft settings, or maybe up to fun speed and a hard brake check? A launch control?

Was maximum shock/spring travel checked statically by chance, all the way to the bump stops, before shock/spring install. If not you might be able to check full travel with a spring/shock out and wheel on. I'm reaching a bit here but hope you get your answer. Keep us informed, good luck.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Pablo Leza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about your post

Hi, recently I bought in e bay a 20” Momo Center Lock wheels for my porsche, I have a 997.2 Turbo S, ceramic brakes, and the Momo wheels was made for a 991 GT3, I only check the offset, I suppose the center lock diameter or system is the same between the 997.2 and 991, but know I am very confuse about that, because I can’t find any body to use 991 wheels in a 997.2 version.
Do you think I have problems with the Momo wheels in my car because the center lock system is different between 991 and 997.2?
regards
pablo
Old 11-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pablo Leza
Hi, recently I bought in e bay a 20” Momo Center Lock wheels for my porsche, I have a 997.2 Turbo S, ceramic brakes, and the Momo wheels was made for a 991 GT3, I only check the offset, I suppose the center lock diameter or system is the same between the 997.2 and 991, but know I am very confuse about that, because I can’t find any body to use 991 wheels in a 997.2 version.
Do you think I have problems with the Momo wheels in my car because the center lock system is different between 991 and 997.2?
regards
pablo
Pablo,

I use 997 GT2RS wheels on my 991 Turbo. No issues.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Pablo Leza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thank you very much

Quick Reply: 19" Wheels & track Tires