Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Porsche TTS purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM
MM77
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo S was my first Porsche and I had the same thought. Is it really worth 200+? The concern for me was that it didn't look very different from other 911 and didn't look exotic enough. Now that I have had it about a month, the performance, comfort and usability are worth 200k. I looked at a Mclaren but Porsche was much more comfortable. And most of all I can drive it every day. For me, if I'm spending that kind of money, I want to be able to drive it as much as possible...
Old 01-25-2017, 09:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by MM77
The turbo S was my first Porsche and I had the same thought. Is it really worth 200+? The concern for me was that it didn't look very different from other 911 and didn't look exotic enough. Now that I have had it about a month, the performance, comfort and usability are worth 200k. I looked at a Mclaren but Porsche was much more comfortable. And most of all I can drive it every day. For me, if I'm spending that kind of money, I want to be able to drive it as much as possible...
Valid point. I had a similar experience with my GT4. Obviously the GT4 is not an exotic, but it's a hard core mid-engined sports car. And completely unusable as a daily driver for someone with a family. I barely drove it. It's one reason I went 911.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parabola19
my TTS came out to 232k. And I'm up to 10k in aftermarket spend. 100% in my mind its worth every penny.
I think we may have built identical cars, my experience exactly!

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Are these cars generally selling for MSRP these days?
As noted by others, likely region dependent. Discount of slightly over 3-5% is not an unreasonable expectation.

Regarding the original post, great question! I'm sure everyone has their reason, here was my logic:

- At this price point, most folks could likely go over $300k and still be fine. I cross shopped the Huracan Spyder (I'm too tall), Huracan (I wanted a convertible), Aventador Roadster (Awesome car, but I want a car as a daily driver), 488 Spider (over priced as you have to buy used, IMHO, and local Ferrari dealership's attitude turned me off) and a few others.

- While it would be fun (occasionally) to have a raucous exotic, I appreciate the more humble (albeit still aggressive) appearance of the 911 TTS.

- Reliability and practicality were also important. While Ferrari and Lambo are more reliable than ever, they are still likely not in the same league.

You'll happy with whatever you decide, good luck! (And have fun in the process!)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:05 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
You guys are all right. It's a beautiful car and fully worth the value when new. I think the problem is I expect a more exotic look at 230K, and I'm not getting with the Turbo S. Traded in my GTS because it wasn't quite doing it for me in terms of performance. I found the car to be a poor daily driver despite what some GTS owners say. The turbo S on the other hand was absolutely perfect. But now that I'm really close to pulling the trigger I keep looking at the McLaren 650 S. I know I can get the same performance but it's just so absurdly gorgeous.

of course I hear the quality of the Mclarens are atrocious.
I had a 650S. Loved it. but it was like my 458, a 3 hour car. After driving it for 3 hours my back and legs were killing me. It's for a couple hours on a weekend or a night out. Also it depreciates like crazy if that matters, even buying a CPO one with less than 5k miles. I wanted a car with the same performance that i could drive around. YMMV so whatever makes you happy but you name it I've owned it and I'm on my second TTS. And just ordered a Targa GTS for a DD. I'm hooked. good problem you have going for you.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 PM
parabola19
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
I think we may have built identical cars, my experience exactly!
I saw your original build thread, except for color choice we did actually give or take an exclusive option.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Geiss
Instructor

You guys have made excellent points, and are now actually driving me toward the TTS.

parabola, funny how you call the 458/650s 3 hour cars, the Porsche GTS was a 2 hour car for me. I drove across country and developed lumbar pain and right leg pain from extension of my leg and keeping the foot on the pedal after only 2 hours. I don't believe the Turbo S would solve this issue but I can live with it. All these cars are gorgeous and there's really no right answer unfortunately.

comfort is very important but I feel like a **** owning a 4 seater when I have no need for backseats.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by MM77
This is exactly my Point. I've also heard mclarens are uncomfortable, though I didn't notice during my test drive but I trust anecdotal evidence. This might be a deal breaker for Mclarens.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,078 Likes on 5,255 Posts

comfort is very important but I feel like a **** owning a 4 seater when I have no need for backseats.
Trust me, you will have no need for the backseats in the TTS.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

You can always remove the rear seats.

In general the 911 will be a better daily driver and the McLaren or any other exotic a better weekend toy.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Ace - the Turbo s is a bucket list item honestly. Might as well check it off. I thought the GTS would check it, but it definitely didn't.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Trust me, you will have no need for the backseats in the TTS.
I noticed the GTS was poorly balanced with the engine way out back. It was like driving a pendulum. Almost did a 360 in the rain making a left turn onto the freeway. So I started obsessing with midengines. Hence my attraction to the 458, 650S, 570S/GT, and R8 as stealth pilot mentioned.

R8 is unfortunately to me, unattractive.
650S/570S/GT, all beautiful cars, haven't spent enough time with them to rule them in to out.
Turbo S, comfortable and reliable but an old design.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:32 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

You guys have made excellent points, and are now actually driving me toward the TTS.

parabola, funny how you call the 458/650s 3 hour cars, the Porsche GTS was a 2 hour car for me. I drove across country and developed lumbar pain and right leg pain from extension of my leg and keeping the foot on the pedal after only 2 hours. I don't believe the Turbo S would solve this issue but I can live with it. All these cars are gorgeous and there's really no right answer unfortunately.

Which seats did the GTS have? The 18 way seats on the TTS are very good. I tend to get lumbar pain and right leg (sciatic nerve pain) on some cars but I dont get it in the TTS. Drove 5 hours straight back from Amelia Island to Atlanta and had no issues whatsoever. Was very comfy.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:33 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

I noticed the GTS was poorly balanced with the engine way out back. It was like driving a pendulum. Almost did a 360 in the rain making a left turn onto the freeway. So I started obsessing with midengines. Hence my attraction to the 458, 650S, 570S/GT, and R8 as stealth pilot mentioned.

R8 is unfortunately to me, unattractive.
650S/570S/GT, all beautiful cars, haven't spent enough time with them to rule them in to out.
Turbo S, comfortable and reliable but an old design.
Lightly used 650S is a bargain these days. You should also consider Huracan.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Which seats did the GTS have? The 18 way seats on the TTS are very good. I tend to get lumbar pain and right leg (sciatic nerve pain) on some cars but I dont get it in the TTS. Drove 5 hours straight back from Amelia Island to Atlanta and had no issues whatsoever. Was very comfy.
alcantera 18 way. The first stretch of several hours was the most painful, I too have sciatica. Lumbar pain and right leg was absolutely killing me. I fiddled with the lumbar support and finally found the air bladder and expanded it all the way. Though it was better I still fidgeted during the drive and ultimately it never helped. That's good that you had no problem on that 5 hour drive, I wonder what the hell I did wrong.

And you're right, I knew there was a car I was failing to mention, I forgot about the Huracan. Still think the 650S is a better looking car but the Huracan is most certainly higher quality. Of course the AMG GTR is another option too.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

alcantera 18 way. The first stretch of several hours was the most painful, I too have sciatica. Lumbar pain and right leg was absolutely killing me. I fiddled with the lumbar support and finally found the air bladder and expanded it all the way. Though it was better I still fidgeted during the drive and ultimately it never helped. That's good that you had no problem on that 5 hour drive, I wonder what the hell I did wrong.

And you're right, I knew there was a car I was failing to mention, I forgot about the Huracan. Still think the 650S is a better looking car but the Huracan is most certainly higher quality. Of course the AMG GTR is another option too.
Paralysis by analysis.... will make the head spin.

Not all bad when it comes to these cars.

Quick Reply: Porsche TTS purchase