Dealers Question - Selling TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM
tlovidiu
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers Question - Selling TT

Hi guys,

I love my 991 Turbo, it's my first supercar, but I want to try other brands so I wish to sell it.

I was curious if dealers usually offer this thing for example:
I want to buy a used Huracan from a dealer but give them in exchange my 991 for less money than it's actual value, so I just have to pay the difference?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Jay911
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dealer will do anything he thinks, where the end result will be a profit.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tlovidiu
Hi guys,

I love my 991 Turbo, it's my first supercar, but I want to try other brands so I wish to sell it.

I want to buy a used Huracan from a dealer but give them in exchange my 991 for less money than it's actual value, so I just have to pay the difference?

Thanks
Yep. Also in most states your sales tax liability is only on the difference, not the full price of the Huracan.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:55 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Yep. Also in most states your sales tax liability is only on the difference, not the full price of the Huracan.
I didn't really realize this until doing current transaction. Makes a big difference.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:39 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I didn't really realize this until doing current transaction. Makes a big difference.
Unfortunately it makes little difference because Dealer's price this into their offer.

I have consistently found in the past that I get around $15-20k more selling it myself which more than offsets any tax advantage. Plus you can always register to an LLC in a tax free state.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Unfortunately it makes little difference because Dealer's price this into their offer.

I have consistently found in the past that I get around $15-20k more selling it myself which more than offsets any tax advantage. Plus you can always register to an LLC in a tax free state.
I would have to sell my old car above MSRP to equal the tax advantage on the new car. I got a very fair trade in value. But your point is generally correct - personal sale nets way more in most cases. It is a pain in the ***, though.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-21-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Not always - I'd be selling way above original MSRP in my case. I got a very fair trade in value. But your point is generally correct - personal sale nets way more in most cases.
True, but selling a supercar like a 911TT is not for the faint of heart. You will get all kinds of crazies wanting a test drive with launch control starts, and people out to try to steal your car. Discerning the real buyers is a bit of an art. It can be done, but know you are taking some risks. There is a reason Porsche dealers are and can be in the business of selling used turbos!

An in-between alternative is consigning the car to a good exotics dealer, but that may mean the car sits in the showroom and you give up use of it until it is sold. You pay a commission, but it is usually less a loss than a trade, and not as profitable to you compared to selling it yourself.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

At the price point of these cars used, I have never found a buyer who would pay me almost as much as a dealer who can offer the same buyer some comfort that reconditioning has happened (even if it didn't) - CPO - financing options - trade in.....those sorts of things...and so with a tax credit on the new car, numbers are very similar.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:23 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
True, but selling a supercar like a 911TT is not for the faint of heart. You will get all kinds of crazies wanting a test drive with launch control starts, and people out to try to steal your car. Discerning the real buyers is a bit of an art. It can be done, but know you are taking some risks. There is a reason Porsche dealers are and can be in the business of selling used turbos!

An in-between alternative is consigning the car to a good exotics dealer, but that may mean the car sits in the showroom and you give up use of it until it is sold. You pay a commission, but it is usually less a loss than a trade, and not as profitable to you compared to selling it yourself.
I've never owned a car remotely this expensive. The idea of selling it, when the time comes, does not sound appealing. I believe my dealer sells on consignment, which would be a reasonable compromise.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

If you live in a state where you only pay sales tax on the delta of the trade in value to the sale price of your next ride, find out if your dealer is courtesy sale friendly. (Some dealers are some are not)

Basically you put your car up for sale on your favorite auto sales listing site, inform the buyer they will be buying the car by way of the dealer you intend to do your deal with for your next car and as long as they are good with that you are in good shape. What you're doing at the end of the day is passing paper work around. You have an agreed price for your car you "trade" you car into the dealer who instantly sells your car to your buyer. You get the tax break your buyer can arrange financing with the dealer if needed, and everyone walks away happy. Some dealer may charge an inspection fee or some additional doc fees. (they want to make sure they are selling on a car that is in good shape not something with a cracked engine block or something)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 AM
mc2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Called an "in and out". Last time Porsche dealer charged $1000 for their troubles. Very much negotiable.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mc2
Called an "in and out". Last time Porsche dealer charged $1000 for their troubles. Very much negotiable.
I did one as well. They charged me less but they had a lot of profit and a modest discount on the new one.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tlovidiu
Hi guys,

Thanks
I don't know what information is available to you if you are in Romania but you have to check pricing guides and sale ads for your car and whatever you want to get for some idea of relative values. Trading a car for another with some money involved happens all the time.

Quick Reply: Dealers Question - Selling TT