Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.1 Turbo or a 991.2 Carerra S ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Bg259
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 Turbo or a 991.2 Carerra S ??

Hi All. I have been pondering another 911 for the last couple of months and I am undecided against a gen1 991 turbo or a 991.2 Carerra. I am veering towards a cab but have to admit the coupe drives much better and you feel the weight saving !

I have driven lots of 991.1 turbos and they are an awesome tool. You lose the soundtrack but the power delivery makes up for it. The 991 turbo is a visually stunning vehicle from the rear. It's larges haunches just look the business when you drive behind one and the deployment of the front and rear spoilers in sports plus mode puts a big smile on my face.

On the flip side. I have driven a 991.2 and the technical updates are brilliant. Apple car play is very useful and the minor changes. SC on steering wheel, better door handles, more supple suspension all make the 991.2 to a pleasing prospect. The carerra is just dull in comparison. As an every day tool, it is brilliant. The new 3.0TT engine is supple, light, agile and solves the issue of a lack of low down torque the 991.1 Carreras suffer from. My general impression the two times I have driven the 991.2 is a sense of under whelment.

I use my 911 very infrequently. It is a weekend tool to put a smile on my face and I drive very spiritedly when I do take my cars out. My only worry wth the turbo is that it will attract too much of the wrong attention from boy racers and the police alike. The 991.1 turbo is a licence loser, not to mention a death trap in the wrong hands.

I suspect that at the 110k level (UK pounds) A 991.1 turbo will have a shallower depreciation curve. There are less turbos out there (especially cabs) and the market will always be flooded with the latest 911 offering, meaning the 991.2 will have a steeper depreciation curve. On the plus side it is a newer car with a longer warranty and will have less miles on it.

Am I answering my own questions here ????

I am veering towards the 991.1 turbo. A turbo S would be lovely, especially with PCCB, PDDC, 18 way seats and carbon interior as standard. Just dont think the extra 15/20k is worth it.

Would love to know what you guys think.
Porsche 997 C2 Cab 2005 - sold
Porsche 911 C4s Cab. 2004 -sold
Porsche Boxster 2.5 Tip 2000 - sold
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I considered a new 991 C4S cabriolet before I purchased my CPO 991 TTS cabriolet, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. To me, the TTS is in a different class. I'm m very happy with my decision and the CPO warranty is great.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Bg259
AutoX

We don't have CPO here in the UK. We have Porsche Aporoved Used (if you buy from the main dealership). You get an extra 2 years extended Porsche warranty over an above the standard 3 year warranty from date of first registration or 2 years if your car is more than 3 years old. You also get the Porsche breakdown which is a must if you have centre locks. I wouldn't trust just anyone to try and get those wheels off at the side of the road.

I agree the TTS is just another level of car compared to the standard Carrera.

I want to keep it standard but might upgrade to a 2017 steering wheel. I have seen it done so it must be possible.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:36 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like you want a 991.1 TT/S... just have to decide coupe or cab. Or you could say who cares about money and get a 991.2 TT/S

As a wild card, does a GT3 or a 991.2 Targa 4S do anything for you? The GT3 would have a soft depreciation curve and be great as a weekend toy if you don't need the practicality, and the targa could be an interesting alternative to a cab, though a 991.1 TTS cab might be hard to pass up for one.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

There is no substitute for the TTS. The price diff between the TT and TTS on 991.1 platform is not much at all, either. Crazy to go any other direction. (When you sell the TTS, you will get most all of the extra money back in the resale)

If worried about the sound, go with an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Bg259
AutoX

Funny you should mention a GT3. I drive a GT3 last week and I have been looking at them. The car reminds me of a very hardcore Carerra S. The car is noisy, very stiff and not pleasurable to drive a slow speeds. Open it up and she turns into an animal. Great sound. Lots of linear power and revs like a nut case all the way to 9k rpm. A great car but you can't live with it every day. The car I am looking at for a GT3 has 2k miles on it, $35 dollars of options (even a carbon cover over the engine bay at the back!). It's a 2014 car out of warranty in 3 months time. My issue with that car is I won't want to drive it. I will keep it like a garage queen. The TTs is a different animal. Smooth, powerful, aggressive whenever you want it. I was actually testing a TTS in summer at a Porsche dealer and a GT3 pulled up by the side of me. I thrashed it down a motorway section. The TTS has the legs on a GT3. Its quick on the twisties and can keep up, but with point and shoot (which is most street driving )the TTS in untouchable. Carerra 4S just doesn't have enough power for me. The targa looks brilliant but is an overweight car and loses acceleration as a result.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

The only reason to buy a new 991.2 vs. 991.1 Turbo is if you are spending your last money on it and worry about getting murdered if anything breaks once the warranty is over (2014 turbo even with CPO would run out of warranty sooner than a new 2017 C2S). Otherwise, it's used Turbo - much more car for the money and depreciates slower (because the initial 1-2 years were already absorbed by someone else).

GT3 is whole another animal, and I'd prefer it to either Turbo or C2S. Although it's more expensive to buy, it's going to depreciate less than either of the two other options. But it's sounds like it's not your cup of tea, which is the most important things about the car - it should make YOU happy.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

It sounds like you have convinced yourself which car will suite you best.
This forum will pretty much echo positive vibes on any variant of 991 Turbo.
Good luck with your choice!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:50 AM
arthrellem
Track Day

Default Maintenance and Complexity Fear?

So, have been having similar thoughts to this thread about TTS versus .2 S or C4S. I would appreciate your thoughts on the reliability of the .1 TTS. (I have owned a bunch of P-cars and model 911s, including a 991.1, current Macan Turbo and Cayenne.)

In conversations about the 991.1 TTS, I have heard the usual knee-jerk reaction to the obvious issue about center lock and pccb. No fear here. Predictable expense. Or go to iron brakes.

I have heard that there are some vacuum issues with the TTS cars that would be best sorted under CPO warranty. And, that plugs/ belts/ maintenance at the usual 20k and 30k intervals could be $10K. (That doesn't seem to square with TTS owner experience in other threads here, suggesting $3K for a major service.)

I guess what worries me, is the idea that the turbo charging system on the car is complex, and that it has been "refined/improved/more bullet-proof" in the newer generation .2 S and C4S models, but that it has not changed that much in the .2 TT and TTS.

It does seem that the TTS is a pretty exotic piece of equipment, so something expensive is bound to happen. Here, I worry about the unpredictable:
- 1 of the 7 fuel pumps goes...expensive labor-intensive repair
- water pump (I had one go on my first model year 991.1)
- a transfer case seal or issue (been through this on Macan and 2 generations of Cayennes)
- rear axel steering issue
- fear over the electronics and cost of hunting down ghosts in the earlier .1 versus .2 systems

Am I being paranoid? (And, will you be making fun of me for it?)

Thanks,
C
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Life is about risks and rewards. The reward for me is worth the risks.

But just to calm some fears, take a look at who is heading the most reliable vehicles by reported problems:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I’m feeling “Déjà-View” - the feeling that I’ve seen this thread before...

... because I have. On Tuesday:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...991-2-gts.html

My answer is the same: CPO 991.1 TT[S] >> and 991.2 except TT[S], GT3. Unless you need a manual.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:21 PM
arthrellem
Track Day

yes. deja vu, but nobody touched on the longer-term, big-ticket maintenance issue in any of the other threads. thought it was most polite to extend this thread rather than start a new one or extend on of the other threads I had viewed.

My conclusion, having browsed all the threads and searched, is that there hasn't been a "high milage 991.1 repair" thread, though I might have missed it.

the only "issue" i have seen, thus far, is the "shifting like an automatic while in manual" post.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by arthrellem
Am I being paranoid? (And, will you be making fun of me for it?)
Yes, and yes.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:06 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In December I traded my 991.2 Targa for a 991.2 Turbo S. I am not going to say the Targa at 420 horsepower is slow, it isn't, but the Turbo S is just in a league of its own. Also costs 50k more, so it should be "better". For me, the Turbo S was a grail car, 911 turbo poster as a boy etc. Sounds to me like you will not be happy with anything less than a Turbo. I also think the upgrades from 991.1 to 991.2 are worth looking at in making your final decision. Best of luck.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I added the GT3 kit to the S today & a carbon fiber spoiler a long with my carbon fiber side skirts . The front lip has a huge and long carbon fiber lip which I love & the rear wing is all CF.

Exhaust is next

Quick Reply: 991.1 Turbo or a 991.2 Carerra S ??