Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

My 991 TTS Champion Turbo Upgrade Thread -- RedGutz Gets 68mm VTG Upgraded Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:48 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
For ballpark purposes if you use parts popular on this forum and a well-known shop does the work, my guesstimate would be $10-15k to add a full exhaust system, intercoolers, and a tune once they are available. I'd also guess that figure would increase to $18-25k if you throw in upgraded turbos and supporting upgrades. And while you can certainly spend more for specific parts like the Akra exhaust sytem, you probably can't spend much less.

Fuel pressure is higher on the TTS than the TT, and I'm not sure if that means different hardware or just different programming. The fuel system is eventually a bottleneck in these cars, so at a certain point it would need to be upgraded. However, that might be after a PDK upgrade for either car though, and those are what, neighborhood of $15k and not sure if that includes labor?

I expect that if you're looking at total all-in purchase price, a modified TT will always be slightly cheaper than a TTS offering equal performance.

I ordered a TT and will modify it after the warranty expires if I feel I need more speed. The TT is already going to be a faster vehicle than my Ducati, so I'll be happy with it stock for a while.
Thanks for the detailed info. That's some good gouge. Btw, any updates on your carmine red beast?
When I get my TT, I will most definitely install an aftermarket exhaust right away plus new wheels, tint, and clear bra. Down the road, I plan on new headers and possibly a tune (when it becomes available). I'll probably track my car a few times but I don't think I'll go crazy with the mods. Of course, that's all subject to change.
My ego wants the TTS but I can be perfectly happy with a TT. 1/10th of second quicker and bigger turbos aren't enough to spend $20-30k more, JMHO.
I'm looking at picking up the new Audi TT RS in a year or so. That thing looks like a hoot to drive with an abundance of mod potential. I need an airport car and I talked myself into buying one. My "airport car" choices started with a Golf R and now I'm up to a TT RS; funny how that happens! It appears that my wife gave up on me; she just says, "do whatever pleases you". I think she's eyeing a Hermes purse... doh!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Just a short update. The car was extensively datalogged last week. Champion ended up replacing some O2 sensors after they got some minor fault codes (they had been acting up on the Cannonball Run Rally where I got 2 CELs and when we read the codes at the time it was O2 sensor related so there was no performance impact). With the new O2 sensors the fault codes disappeared on subsequent data logging runs so the car is now ready for its dyno testing.

Hoping to get pics/videos/graphs from Champion from the dyno testing to post.

Again the goal I want is not max power but a nice bump -- so hopefully 620-630 wheel hp on 93 and 660-wheel hp on MS109. Don't want to into or too close to the 700s where the PDK and fueling limits come into play.
Thanks for posting so much detail. The nice pictures also make it more content-rich to read. If I end up deciding to modify my car after the warranty I'll reread this thread probably ten times.

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Thanks for the detailed info. That's some good gouge. Btw, any updates on your carmine red beast?
When I get my TT, I will most definitely install an aftermarket exhaust right away plus new wheels, tint, and clear bra. Down the road, I plan on new headers and possibly a tune (when it becomes available). I'll probably track my car a few times but I don't think I'll go crazy with the mods. Of course, that's all subject to change.
My ego wants the TTS but I can be perfectly happy with a TT. 1/10th of second quicker and bigger turbos aren't enough to spend $20-30k more, JMHO.
I'm looking at picking up the new Audi TT RS in a year or so. That thing looks like a hoot to drive with an abundance of mod potential. I need an airport car and I talked myself into buying one. My "airport car" choices started with a Golf R and now I'm up to a TT RS; funny how that happens! It appears that my wife gave up on me; she just says, "do whatever pleases you". I think she's eyeing a Hermes purse... doh!
Car is on the boat, can't wait! Just finished talking with my SA and getting cold weather/winter tires ordered.

I try to give up on ego. It's too much work and expense to keep up with. Saved me about $20k this time around. I'll be very happy with "just" a new 911 TT. But my desire for fun is pretty well unbridled, so in a few years I'll be awful tempted to follow sdg's path and spend at least that much on the car later on...

That's pretty funny on your airport car. You might want to ask Sam about the Birkin bag and Stage 4 + HRE special - makes everyone at home happy if you just don't ask about the price!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Exciting times ahead for sure. Carmine red rocks!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:34 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for posting so much detail. The nice pictures also make it more content-rich to read. If I end up deciding to modify my car after the warranty I'll reread this thread probably ten times.Car is on the boat, can't wait! Just finished talking with my SA and getting cold weather/winter tires ordered.

I try to give up on ego. It's too much work and expense to keep up with. Saved me about $20k this time around. I'll be very happy with "just" a new 911 TT. But my desire for fun is pretty well unbridled, so in a few years I'll be awful tempted to follow sdg's path and spend at least that much on the car later on...

That's pretty funny on your airport car. You might want to ask Sam about the Birkin bag and Stage 4 + HRE special - makes everyone at home happy if you just don't ask about the price!
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

RedGutz on the Champion Dyno. Results to follow.
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

RedGutz on the Champion Motorsports Dyno in for her turbo upgrade.

Results:
655 wheel HP and 641 wheel torque on Ms109 race gas. 610 wheel HP on 93 octane. 655 wheel HP is about 773 horsepower at the crank.

Modding the car is now over.

Final mod list:

Champion Motorsports upgraded turbos - 68mm VTGs
Champion Motorsports intercoolers
Tubi catless race exhaust
GIAC tune (probably called Stage 4)
BMC filter
Champion race diverter valves

Stock: plenum, headers, Y pipe and transmission. No meth injection or nitrous.

Here is the video of a Dyno pull. Flames happen. Will post Dyno graphs as soon as I get them.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Manuel
Old 12-12-2016, 10:49 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOOSTED TTS
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Manuel
Thanks! Looking forward to getting it back and reporting in on how it drives.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Time for some fire.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:41 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Awesome results for a very uncompromised car! Congrats!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:18 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Awesome results for a very uncompromised car! Congrats!
Thanks. I will report back on it's drivability and reliability once it comes home.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 918 Likes on 560 Posts

Something has to be said for the symmetrical and matching use of stuff laying around to hold those pesky fans haha. Makes all the effort that goes into freezing that nice flame shot worth it Tom! Scott owes you a McGriddle for that! Great #'s

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 AM
white991tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Thanks. I will report back on it's drivability and reliability once it comes home.
Looks like your in the sweet spot. Your going to love it! Nothing like a bullet proof 650hp daily driver. Have a blast Scott!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Something has to be said for the symmetrical and matching use of stuff laying around to hold those pesky fans haha. Makes all the effort that goes into freezing that nice flame shot worth it Tom! Scott owes you a McGriddle for that! Great #'s
Thanks! Actually one of my friends took a screen grab of the video with the flames. Love it.

Originally Posted by white991tt
Looks like your in the sweet spot. Your going to love it! Nothing like a bullet proof 650hp daily driver. Have a blast Scott!

Thanks. That's pretty much where I wanted to be. I wanted a nice power boost but nothing that would push the car towards its limits and limit my ability to use it as a rally car or a daily driver if I choose. I could wring more power out of it but I don't want to. I'm good.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Here are the final dyno graphs. The car did many Dyno pulls some of which were lower and some of which were higher.

I'm putting up the curves that are in the middle and the most representative of the actual average power. 93 octane is 607 wheel horse power and 600 lbs ft wheel torque and MS 109 is 655 wheel horsepower and 641 lbs ft wheel torque.

The car is tuned exactly as I wanted. A good power boost but nothing that's going close to pushing the limits of anything. This car will never be a record breaker but that's OK. I wanted to get some more power while not going close to power levels that might compromise my ability to use it as a rally car or a daily driver.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My 991 TTS Champion Turbo Upgrade Thread -- RedGutz Gets 68mm VTG Upgraded Turbos