Sponsored by: Road Spy

Coupe or Cabriolet input please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 03:52 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Coupe or Cabriolet input please

I currently own a 2014 GT3 and a 2011 Boxster Spyder.

Due to lack of garage space and changes in my driving needs as I get older, I am considering reducing to one sports car.

My wife and I love the top down aspect of the Spyder but the top is a hassle and it does not have as much practicality as a 911 for daily use so the car does not get driven that much.

I drove a 991 Turbo S coupe I liked, and although it gives up some pure sports car feel compared to my GT3, I feel it would be a better daily driver than either of my current cars being quieter and more comfortable. The AWD is a plus for me as I live in Iowa and also having a mountain home in Colorado.

I realize the Turbo cabriolet's option costs more but have never driven one. For those of you have have owned both 991 Turbo or Turbo S coupes and cabriolets, what are the disadvantages of the cabriolet in terms of noise, comfort, security, styling, maintenance, resale value, etc. Is a cabriolet a good choice as a daily driver even in winter weather? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

The new 991 Cabriolet's top consists of fabric covered magnesium panels. Much quieter and secure, plus the silhouette is now the same as the coupe, unlike previous 997 Cab's.

For me the TT Cab was a perfect step up from a GT3.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM
john weires
Pro

Thanks Peter. I did not know that. All 991's have the panels, not just .2's, right?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Thanks Peter. I did not know that. All 991's have the panels, not just .2's, right?

991 Cabriolet
Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a 14 TTS coupe glass top and now have a 16 TTS cab. Also had a GT3 (now RS). The TTS is a great daily driver coupe or cab. I prefer it to the GT cars for daily by wide Margin. I had a spyder for about a month hated the top. I am going back to a glass top PTS TTS.2. The cab is no hassle and I love it but find with top up I have some peripheral vision issues but I may be the only one who has them. I'm ordering a targa 4S in January when my dealer gets its allocation for more true open top and I like the way they look. The glass roof is enough for me as I like connection with the sky for my daily driver. But the cab is great. No real complaints. When I'm in US I live in the west so top is down almost all the time. Probably not much help but you won't go wrong.

One add- the windscreen on cab works great but does restrict access to the back seats. I personally don't care but some might. I don't see how it could be improved and the auto up/down feature vs 997 is great. I echo the sentiment that top up driving is fine noise wise. Never a complaint.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:25 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I will be the first to admit our family Cab bias, all our 'sports' cars are drop-tops, always have been and I suspect always will be. We are fortunate enough to have proper indoor heated storage space for all of them. Which is a mixed blessing, lots of cars to drive, but writing the insurance cheque each year sorta hurts. They only get driven in the summer months, and for us open air motoring is the way to go in nice weather. The modern drop-tops in the latest Porsche's and the folding hard top in our little SLK are great. But in the end it is of course a very subjective decision, some folks like the looks of a solid roof line in the 911 Coupes, and I can't argue with that view. We don't have our TTS Cab yet, but have driven other 911 Cabs, it you are out-and-about and the weather turns sour, you can always just raise the top, and be in a nice dry/warm/cool space. The TTS Cab is my 65th B-Day gift, or so the wife says. I now have to start to shopping the jewelry stores for her 65th, the upside is I don't have to make a Coupe/Cab decision, but I do have to decide Ring/Necklace/Bracelet.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:50 PM
john weires
Pro

Am I to understand that the windscreen is not fixed (like my 987.2 Spyder) and has an power up or down feature?

Is access to the back seats restricted when the windscreen is down?

Where does it retract to?

Found my own answer with a video showing the auto up down windscreen function.

Thanks.

Last edited by john weires; 11-06-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Found my own answer
Old 11-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

I just sold my 997 TT cabriolet and bought a 991 TTS cabriolet (although I won't have it until next week). The 997 cab was a great all around driver, top up or top down. The wind screen was a pain, but that has been addressed in the 991. I'm really looking forward to my new cabriolet, and I think it would be a great car for you based on your requirements.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:32 AM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just recently got a 991.2 TTS Cabrio, and when touring the plant in Germany during my European Delivery, our guide mentionned that the new top with magnesium (or was it Titanium?) panels is strong enough to support the car in an upside down position and also makes it almost as quiet inside with top up, as the coupe. Besides the price and 150 lbs weight increase the Cabrio is like the best of both world.
Just my $0.02 !
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 AM
john weires
Pro

Thanks everybody. I think I need to test drive a cabriolet and give it serious consideration.

Quick Reply: Coupe or Cabriolet input please