991.1 TTS COBB Tune Dividends

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts
Default 991.1 TTS COBB Tune Dividends

Hi,

I know a lot of info is available on the COBB Acessport tuner for the TTS, bit I am seriously considering purchasing it and wanted some feedback from those who have it on their vehicles. I have already spoken to COBB and vendors about the technical aspects, so this isn't about being 'sold' by them, I would just like some real life feedback from those who use the product. My Tune would be the Stage 2 93 Octane adding about 100hp and a little north of 100tq.

1. Given that the car is stupid fast with launch control from a dig, I would presume that the added hp/tq makes no difference from 0-60 ... is this correct?

2. Would I notice the extra performance in a daily driving environment? Or is this really something that's noticeable if one is doing highway pulls and 1/4 mile runs where the extra power can be felt when the TTS fades after its initial launch?

3. I have been told that it doesn't tax the internals to a degree that makes them more susceptible to failure on track (road course) ... is there any record of TTSs failing because of the additional stresses at DE or other track events from a COBB tune? And for those who have used it, does the extra power make a difference on a road course?

The bottom line is that I don't drag race. I use the TTS to have fun drives on the street and at HPDE events ... so I'm trying to ascertain if there is measurable added value in my circumstances to warrant purchasing it, at least enough added value to compromise my warranty, or if this really more of a benefit for pulls and 1/4 mile runs.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

I second all of these questions. Anybody track their 991 TTS with COBB?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:28 PM
Masonbrick
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also curious about this. I tracked my GT-R with a custom Cobb tune and it was great. I haven't seen a need for more power yet but so far I've only heard of one guy tracking his 991 Turbo with a tune and it was a GIAC
Old 09-25-2016, 11:45 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Curious to hear these answers.

As far as track use with a Cobb, worst case you could always flash it to a stock boost level before a track day and then back to a street tune after.

I had a friend with a GM car that ran with a factory catalytic converter and 33% higher boost than stock. The car and tune were excellent throughout and his times were great, but in his third session the heat buildup was just too much. His exhaust side turbocharger turbine got so hot it essentially melted and little bits of it flew apart and into his catalytic converter. There was no engine damage since he pretty much babied it home in limp mode and took care of it, but the turbo and everything aft to the catalytic converter needed inspection or replacement. If he ran without a cat it may have never happened.
After that he just flashed it to a stock boost level before DEs and never had any issues.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Hi,

I know a lot of info is available on the COBB Acessport tuner for the TTS, bit I am seriously considering purchasing it and wanted some feedback from those who have it on their vehicles. I have already spoken to COBB and vendors about the technical aspects, so this isn't about being 'sold' by them, I would just like some real life feedback from those who use the product. My Tune would be the Stage 2 93 Octane adding about 100hp and a little north of 100tq.

1. Given that the car is stupid fast with launch control from a dig, I would presume that the added hp/tq makes no difference from 0-60 ... is this correct?

2. Would I notice the extra performance in a daily driving environment? Or is this really something that's noticeable if one is doing highway pulls and 1/4 mile runs where the extra power can be felt when the TTS fades after its initial launch?

3. I have been told that it doesn't tax the internals to a degree that makes them more susceptible to failure on track (road course) ... is there any record of TTSs failing because of the additional stresses at DE or other track events from a COBB tune? And for those who have used it, does the extra power make a difference on a road course?

The bottom line is that I don't drag race. I use the TTS to have fun drives on the street and at HPDE events ... so I'm trying to ascertain if there is measurable added value in my circumstances to warrant purchasing it, at least enough added value to compromise my warranty, or if this really more of a benefit for pulls and 1/4 mile runs.

Thanks.
This thread might provide some insight.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...rbo-track.html
Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 560 Posts

Hey guys! If I may I can mention we have several cars running around on the road course even at stage for pushing really hard. One of the beauties of the access port is that you can have custom tunes specific to the track conditions, environment and octane available. Another cool feature is that you can choose to mount the access port with a suction cup or your choice and use it to monitor things like intake air temperature, actual boost and then the other parameters you like. Up to six at a time!

Of course I am biased…But I would love to extend anyone a trial and stand behind them 100% with full support...whoever wants to try it out! Cheers!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Quick Reply: 991.1 TTS COBB Tune Dividends