Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo vs Turbo S - Does a Tune Equalize?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016 | 12:00 AM
vtknight
Racer

Default Turbo vs Turbo S - Does a Tune Equalize?

Hi everyone,

New to Porsche - and I am looking to purchase a 991 Turbo or Turbo S.
Brace yourselves - I come from a GTR lol - fairly modified - and have no intentions of going that big of a build (1600+ awhp) with the Porsche.

I recognize that the S comes with all the Porsche goodies from CCB's, to all the "P gear" dynamic engine mounts etc.

What I want to know is - from a power and performance point of view - if I am going to get my Tuner to give me a custom Cobb tune - will there be any real differences between the Turbo and Turbo S? Are the turbos the same size - are there any other fuel/air components that are superior in the Turbo S? I am actually leaning towards the S - but for the extra coin - I want to make sure it has some benefit.

Thank-you very much for your responses and experience in advance!
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:08 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

For a 991.1 you would achieve same output. With the 991.2 the S has bigger turbo
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:15 AM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
For a 991.1 you would achieve same output. With the 991.2 the S has bigger turbo
Thank-you very much for the reply. Okay - the 991.2 starts in MY2016?
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:23 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

+1
Our US record 1/2 mile car isn't an S! You really have to see if the other features are important to you and price/value. Some good deals to be had now for sure! Good luck!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:34 AM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
+1
Our US record 1/2 mile car isn't an S! You really have to see if the other features are important to you and price/value. Some good deals to be had now for sure! Good luck!
Thank-you for the feedback - I see Cobb's canned tune numbers - with a 991 Turbo, two questions; what do they baseline on a dynojet or Mustang dyno?

What gains are you able to produce on a 93 octane tune?

The fastest Turbo S I have seen is 10.29 at 132 MPH...my goal is to be mid 10's at 130+ MPH on a regular DA day. That time was apparently tune and cat back exhaust only. Stock tire, intercoolers, CAI etc...
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:41 AM
vtknight
Racer

I also found an earlier post about PDK limits being 590 awhp/575 awtq. Does this stand today? Are there new clutch packs to be had? Is the rest of the trans solid? This is one area with the GTR I got very familiar with (Dodson 1-6th straight cut).

Here's the quote;

"On to that Mechanical limit... We very clearly found the limits of the PDK clutch system. We specifically used a PDK example for our test car, as all of the next generation of Turbo-S 997.2's will be PDK, and we figured we
had better start a program now. What we found is that at 575 ft-lb of torque, as well as right at 590 whp the PDK clutches just let go. We are already working on an upgrade to the PDK clutch pack, but I have no more
to report on with that yet."
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:45 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No probs. DynoJet

Stage 1 tunes without exhaust are quite limited. But you can still pick up about 70hp and 100+tq. There is stuff on the site you can check out. Exhaust really pumps those numbers up and makes the car strong/smoother and more consistent. we have a few guys/gals running 10.2's in the low to mid 130s and a couple cars running in the 10.1X. E-Gear ran 10.05 @ 136 with stage 3 and stock Pirellis. Just lots of attention to detail and custom mapping with race gas.

In regards to the PDK... We have about 65 cars running our Stage 4 Power package around the world. These cars run anywhere from 700 to 850 hp with methanol no problems. Once we push it above that we can see the PD K struggle if the car has a few miles on it. We are doing the first Dodson on Mark Blackwell's car now. So far he has run a 9.7 at 145 mph! All on a VTG stage 4 he can cruise to dinner in

So much potential. Compared to the GTR there's a lot of refinement you'll enjoy.
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:53 AM
vtknight
Racer

No probs. DynoJet

Stage 1 tunes without exhaust are quite limited. But you can still pick up about 70hp and 100+tq. There is stuff on the site you can check out. Exhaust really pumps those numbers up and makes the car strong/smoother and more consistent. we have a few guys/gals running 10.2's in the low to mid 130s and a couple cars running in the 10.1X. E-Gear ran 10.05 @ 136 with stage 3 and stock Pirellis. Just lots of attention to detail and custom mapping with race gas.

In regards to the PDK... We have about 65 cars running our Stage 4 Power package around the world. These cars run anywhere from 700 to 850 hp with methanol no problems. Once we push it above that we can see the PD K struggle if the car has a few miles on it. We are doing the first Dodson on Mark Blackwell's car now. So far he has run a 9.7 at 145 mph! All on a VTG stage 4 he can cruise to dinner in

So much potential. Compared to the GTR there's a lot of refinement you'll enjoy.
Fantastic info - thank-you! Yes - GTR and refinement do not go hand in hand lol (although to be fair the new TCM software tunes are pretty good). It's good to know Dodson has something - in case, but not likely, that I go bigger power. If I can run consistent low 10's at 130-135 MPH - on pump gas - no meth...that would be ideal. I will check your site out - thank-you for the feedback. I assume you do e-tunes with me data logging? An earlier build had me running high 9's at 145 MPH on pump gas - and that was just a nice place to be. I just don't know if I want to start down that path again so I am going to force myself to see what bolts on's and tune will get me first...
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:57 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Agreed on all counts! I actually love working with guys in stages because you get to enjoy and track the path. With VTG cars we will definitely get you a big jump and power on pump but not all the potential. Feel free to contact me anytime I work really well one on one and can help you really understand how to achieve your goals. Start with the meat and potatoes. You probably be happy, but if the urge strikes again there's potential and plenty of crack! It's not too bad actually.
Old 09-13-2016 | 01:05 AM
vtknight
Racer

Agreed on all counts! I actually love working with guys in stages because you get to enjoy and track the path. With VTG cars we will definitely get you a big jump and power on pump but not all the potential. Feel free to contact me anytime I work really well one on one and can help you really understand how to achieve your goals. Start with the meat and potatoes. You probably be happy, but if the urge strikes again there's potential and plenty of crack! It's not too bad actually.
Awesome - thank-you again!
Old 09-13-2016 | 08:20 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by vtknight
Thank-you very much for the reply. Okay - the 991.2 starts in MY2016?
2017 is the .2
Old 09-13-2016 | 11:44 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by ColdList
2017 is the .2
Really? From what I read it was revised in 2015 for the 2016 model year - unless that was for the NA 991 and the Turbo wasn't changed until the following year?
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:28 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by vtknight
Really? From what I read it was revised in 2015 for the 2016 model year - unless that was for the NA 991 and the Turbo wasn't changed until the following year?
For the Turbo and Turbo S it is the 2017 for sure. Trust me. I've had 2 of them already-LOL
Old 09-14-2016 | 12:19 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

glad to see you on here!
Old 09-14-2016 | 12:33 PM
vtknight
Racer

Originally Posted by ColdList
For the Turbo and Turbo S it is the 2017 for sure. Trust me. I've had 2 of them already-LOL
Lol - I can see that...I will try to see if I can find the specs and determine if the size difference is going to net me some substantial gains over the Turbo when tuned...

Any ideas anyone?

Quick Reply: Turbo vs Turbo S - Does a Tune Equalize?