Sponsored by: Road Spy

Contemplating a Turbo or AM DBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 PM
nrgy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contemplating a Turbo or AM DBS

I am torn between the Turbo and AM DBS even though they are miles apart in performance. If the DBS weren't so dang beautiful it would be an easy choice, but alas I'm still mesmerized by it's looks despite being a 7-8 yo design.

I know the Turbo would more than fulfill my need for speed, and then some! I love that brutal off the line power, passing power, road handling, technology, etc. With the DBS, I know it's a dog in comparison so I don't even try to convince myself otherwise.

But if any of you Turbo owner's have driven a DBS and could give me your impressions on which one you felt offered a more visceral, emotional driving experience from a daily perspective? Something that you might use to cruise to work through town, hop on the highway for short stints to other parts of the city to catch a dinner, movie, whatever. Of course weekend cruises would be in the cards and I would want to fully enjoy those as well.

I simply can't decide if the beauty of the DBS would offset the huge performance advantage the Turbo has to offer.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Never owned an AM, but from my friends that have, another advantage is that you will become very intimately involved with your local Service Manager and be on a first name basis with most of his mechanics and their favorite Tow Truck Driver during your frequent visits.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the roles they best fill are different. From friends with Astons, they're excellent as a second or third vehicle. On the other hand, a 911 is excellent as a primary vehicle.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Aston is a poseur car without the engineering to back up the looks. The Porsche is a serious no-nonsense sports car - and the best one you can get under $200k.

So it boils down to what you want - a car that looks like $300k but drives worse than a $100k Jag F-Type, or a car that looks like $150k and drives in a way that competes with cars like the Huracan.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

AM and Porsche -- two totally different missions

AMS look beautiful, classy and are rare. A great weekend car

A 991 Turbo S is not nearly as rare but is reliable, super fast and the best sports car of all.
Not an exotic is one of the downsides. That did not matter to me
Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM
nrgy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I've never been a huge AM fan, with the DBS being the only exception. Not even the new Vanquish does it for me. I too look at them as way under performing for the money, but now at under $120k for a low mileage DBS the price is more inline with what I perceive to be a decent value. But yeah, when a Vantage or DB9 pulls alongside me I don't have a lot of respect for them. All bark no bite. At least the DBS has stunning looks to make up for it, IMO.

I'm hoping to test drive a bunch of cars next week including the DBS to see which one pulls at my heart strings the most. But when the Turbo can compete with cars 2x it's price and has the modding potential it does, I'm not sure why the confusion.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nrgy
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I've never been a huge AM fan, with the DBS being the only exception. Not even the new Vanquish does it for me. I too look at them as way under performing for the money, but now at under $120k for a low mileage DBS the price is more inline with what I perceive to be a decent value. But yeah, when a Vantage or DB9 pulls alongside me I don't have a lot of respect for them. All bark no bite. At least the DBS has stunning looks to make up for it, IMO.

I'm hoping to test drive a bunch of cars next week including the DBS to see which one pulls at my heart strings the most. But when the Turbo can compete with cars 2x it's price and has the modding potential it does, I'm not sure why the confusion.
Of course. Completely different cars for completely different missions.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:30 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by nrgy

I think if you test drive both on the same stretch of road (that's how I buy my cars) then you will find the answer is obvious. So obvious that there is nothing to discuss.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I think if you test drive both on the same stretch of road (that's how I buy my cars) then you will find the answer is obvious. So obvious that there is nothing to discuss.
Stealth is correct. An Aston Martin will never drive even remotely as well as a Turbo S. That's not why you get the car.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 AM
991turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo s hands down
Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 54 Posts

If Astons drove as great as they look, we'd all be on that forum right now.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

As an owner of an AM and many Porsches I will say they are very different as noted above. The AM will get looks and thumbs up all over the place. It is a work of art and performance is solid, but much more like a GT cruiser with luxury put ahead of performance. I like that about the AM. My only gripe of the car is the design of the fuel tank release (common problem for all models). Aside from that it has been reliable and an enjoyable vehicle. The exhaust note stock blows away the porsche, but the heft of the V12 is noticable in all that it does.

The Turbo S is a solid daily if you want it to be. Very refined. Common on the street and the performance in all categories will blow the DBS away. That said I don't buy all my cars for their 0-60, handling or performance. I enjoy each for what they are. All competent and fun. I think the DBS uniqueness if valuable to you might win out. Its certainly a sexy car. While I love my 911 Turbo S I wouldn't call it sexy. But thats just me.

I do think the AM DBS is a solid deal, but keep in mind it will likely depreciate hard unless you can find the rare one that has a manual. I know my AM Rapide will continue to depreciate into oblivion, but i drive it all the time so don't care. I am getting my utility out of it.

I drive the Aston more than the Turbo S FYI. I just enjoy being in it more.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Turbo or AM DBS