Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need help deciding between 991 turbo S or 991 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
Oh the 488 is my favorite car to date. You will absolutely love it. It has a real presence. Admittedly, I find myself in the garage (under the guise of being helpful to my wife) just looking at the dang thing. I got the Capristo remote exhaust switch for $700 and it changes the whole personality at low revs. Sounds sooooooo good. Virtually zero turbo lag as well.

The McLaren is great but I've had 4 and the build quality is just not there. Getting out of my buddy's 650S the other day and hopping into the Ferrari put a huge reassuring smile on my face...then again, I'm getting old I guess..40's...not too old...but I like the "nice" feel, smell and creature comforts of the Ferrari interior.

Congrats! I have a spyder arriving next spring. I'll get it because I do enjoy the top down feel of exotics but the coupe is soooooooooo much more sexy!
I know we're going way off topic here, and sincere apology to OP, but agree wholeheartedly about 488 - that Ferrari has won me over as well...one very sexy beast. It really drives well too. Im looking forward to that. Still love the TTS tho. Thats staying. Interesting to hear your experience with the Macs. I love the look of it, particularly LT but with 650 after driving one it was left wanting in a few key areas for me. Fast though. A lot more presence than the tts.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I know we're going way off topic here, and sincere apology to OP, but agree wholeheartedly about 488 - that Ferrari has won me over as well...one very sexy beast. It really drives well too. Im looking forward to that. Still love the TTS tho. Thats staying. Interesting to hear your experience with the Macs. I love the look of it, particularly LT but with 650 after driving one it was left wanting in a few key areas for me. Fast though. A lot more presence than the tts.
MAC for sure has more presence than the TTS hands down. But the TTS is my DD. And to your points on other threads, add an exhaust and it heightens the experience immensely. To me, the TTS is probably the best all-around car on the planet. Every time I sell a Porsche I miss it. Cant say that for any other brand. Not to mention they are bulletproof. MACs are frequent problem children.

Incidentally, I have been telling the Ferrari dealer that I was bringing the 488 up to them for consignment for more than a month now, figuring I'd get more $ in the summer and knowing that I've put a few miles on it (which hurts Ferrari resale...a notion that I've now set aside and replaced with my usual thinking of "this is MY car and NOT the next guy's so I'm going to drive the wheels off of it")...but I just can't bring myself to sell it. I'll deal with whatever small "use" tax I pay when I decide it's ready to go..and that may not be until the day I trade keys for the spyder. :-)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 AM
speed21
Banned

MAC for sure has more presence than the TTS hands down. But the TTS is my DD. And to your points on other threads, add an exhaust and it heightens the experience immensely. To me, the TTS is probably the best all-around car on the planet. Every time I sell a Porsche I miss it. Cant say that for any other brand. Not to mention they are bulletproof. MACs are frequent problem children.

Incidentally, I have been telling the Ferrari dealer that I was bringing the 488 up to them for consignment for more than a month now, figuring I'd get more $ in the summer and knowing that I've put a few miles on it (which hurts Ferrari resale...a notion that I've now set aside and replaced with my usual thinking of "this is MY car and NOT the next guy's so I'm going to drive the wheels off of it")...but I just can't bring myself to sell it. I'll deal with whatever small "use" tax I pay when I decide it's ready to go..and that may not be until the day I trade keys for the spyder. :-)
I dont blame you for holding the GTB until the spider arrives. I would too. Also agree with you on the TTS - it's the best DD I've come across. Totally love it! Such and amazing car! Sadly there is always a cost to these toys but hey that's part and parcel of the addiction lol! You know if I could only afford the one it would probably be the TTS....but who knows I may change my mind on that after I have the 488 in the stable.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:18 AM
ColdList
Racer

I dont blame you for holding the GTB until the spider arrives. I would too. Also agree with you on the TTS - it's the best DD I've come across. Totally love it! Such and amazing car! Sadly there is always a cost to these toys but hey that's part and parcel of the addiction lol! You know if I could only afford the one it would probably be the TTS....but who knows I may change my mind on that after I have the 488 in the stable.
Agreed! Same here on the TTS as well. It would be my choice if I could only keep one. I definitely prefer the 488 experience generally but I don't worry about the car so much and it goes anywhere...and in the rain too!

Honestly, and it may be because I'm once again in the "honeymoon" period, a couple times recently after a couple hours of messing around in my 488 I have found myself thinking "ok, I want to go get my TTS."...no bs.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:23 AM
speed21
Banned

Agreed! Same here on the TTS as well. It would be my choice if I could only keep one. I definitely prefer the 488 experience generally but I don't worry about the car so much and it goes anywhere...and in the rain too!

Honestly, and it may be because I'm once again in the "honeymoon" period, a couple times recently after a couple hours of messing around in my 488 I have found myself thinking "ok, I want to go get my TTS."...no bs.
Yeah the TTS is the car you get into and it just does everything you want. No fuss no BS, drive it anywhere. Park it pretty well anywhere. I love that. The F car. Hmm ill come back on that one soon but I know it is gonna draw a lot more attention so I guess there goes the stealth in traffic manouvering and, parking. Nice to have choice though I think that honeymoon's gonna be a long one too! Looking forward to it.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:30 AM
ColdList
Racer

Yeah the TTS is the car you get into and it just does everything you want. No fuss no BS, drive it anywhere. Park it pretty well anywhere. I love that. The F car. Hmm ill come back on that one soon but I know it is gonna draw a lot more attention so I guess there goes the stealth in traffic manouvering and, parking. Nice to have choice though I think that honeymoon's gonna be a long one too! Looking forward to it.
Yep. Lots of drama from the car and from spectators. The MAC gets WAY more attention though. A lot of it form people wondering what the heck it is. Ironically, I get far more attention in my TTS than I expected. People seem to love the Miami blue. And we also have a big Porsche fanatic pool here.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:05 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Why are the three of us fools up at 3:45 AM with nothing better to do than talk about cars?
Speak for yourself. I am in Helsinki today. It's past 9am when I started posting.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM
sscofield
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own a Ferrari, but have acouple of friends that do. They also own tts'.

Here in the midwest, they tell me when they drive their Ferraris people give them "the finger", when they drive their tts', people give the "the thumbs-up"....��

I love my tts'
Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Speak for yourself. I am in Helsinki today. It's past 9am when I started posting.
Haha! I couldn't sleep! Thought you were back here in Atl.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by sscofield
I don't own a Ferrari, but have acouple of friends that do. They also own tts'.

Here in the midwest, they tell me when they drive their Ferraris people give them "the finger", when they drive their tts', people give the "the thumbs-up"....��

I love my tts'
LOL! Not really the case here. People are pretty friendly. :-)
Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1949ford
Im completely new to porsche,this will actually be my 1st porsche ever owned.
I am stuck between a 991 turbo S or a 991 turbo

Im trying to understand what exactly is the main differences between them, and if i should just pay the extra money for a turbo S or would the regular turbo be plenty good?

I dont think my car will see any track time. There isnt one super close to me and I also will be using this as my daily driver. If i get into racing or tracking regularly i think I will obtain a 2nd car for that.

Ive been shopping between 2014-new models
I know I want it to have paddle shifters not the controls on the front side of the wheel.

I will be test driving a few cars tomorrow when I drop my brother off to pick up his new car. Appreciate any help, thanks!!
If I were buying for a term of three years or less I'd give a lot of thought to a CPO 991.1. For a longer term car I like new as I get to pick all the options, I know the history perfectly, and depreciation becomes a smaller factor. I ended up going for a new 991.2 TT.

I was originally shopping for a 3-5 year 991.2 C2S with the plan to replace it with a TTS of the next generation. My final C2S build ended up priced high enough that I decided to just increase the budget and get a turbo now instead. I plan to keep it for 5-10 years.

When the TT and TTS were optioned the way I wanted, my build prices were $185k for the TT and $210k for the TTS. Personally I don't want centerlocks, I have mixed feelings about PCCBs, and if I need the extra power I'll just tune the car. So for me, the "S" upgrades were much more marginal than for a lot of potential buyers. YMMV.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 PM
1949ford
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries about going off topic!!
This is experience is just crazy to me lol. Ive NEVER owned a porsche . This is actually gonna be my 1st "new" or close to new car purchase.ive always had old muscle cars,or a work truck. So its definitely a bit overwhelming walking into a dealership and having so many options. I originally tried to compile a list of 5 or 6 vehicles I was considering which included a 991 TT S.

there was a miami blue one in the dealership when i walked in, very eye catching. Sigh , i have my heart set on a color ,but i doubt that I will get it unless i order brand new
Old 08-31-2016, 04:08 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I would do it for the center wheel locks.Standard on the turbo s. For some reason I love them. On the 911 Turbo they are a $3790 option. Yes you can work the build to have them if the price is an issue.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:15 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1949ford
there was a miami blue one in the dealership when i walked in, very eye catching. Sigh , i have my heart set on a color ,but i doubt that I will get it unless i order brand new
What color is it you're after?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:56 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
My final C2S build ended up priced high enough that I decided to just increase the budget and get a turbo now instead. I plan to keep it for 5-10 years.

When the TT and TTS were optioned the way I wanted, my build prices were $185k for the TT and $210k for the TTS. Personally I don't want centerlocks, I have mixed feelings about PCCBs, and if I need the extra power I'll just tune the car. So for me, the "S" upgrades were much more marginal than for a lot of potential buyers. YMMV.
Similar situation to yours -- started configuring a 991.2 C2S and the price wasn't much lower than a 991.2 TT, and the TT has lots of options standard, not to mention the bigger engine. There seemed to be better price / performance of the TT versus the S IMO.

Reading all the comments, I can't help thinking about Tim Taylor (aka Tim Allen) in Tooltime -- you can never have too much power. Keep in mind though that the difference in 0-60 is 0.1sec between the TT and the TTS; the TT is hardly underpowered. BTW, mine is scheduled to be built this week -- stickered @ $168K. If price is no object, or you need that extra 0.1sec, go for the TTS. Mine will be on roads / highways, will never see a track, or mods.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding between 991 turbo S or 991 turbo