Sponsored by: Road Spy

Need help deciding between 991 turbo S or 991 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 AM
1949ford
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help deciding between 991 turbo S or 991 turbo

Im completely new to porsche,this will actually be my 1st porsche ever owned.
I am stuck between a 991 turbo S or a 991 turbo

Im trying to understand what exactly is the main differences between them, and if i should just pay the extra money for a turbo S or would the regular turbo be plenty good?

I dont think my car will see any track time. There isnt one super close to me and I also will be using this as my daily driver. If i get into racing or tracking regularly i think I will obtain a 2nd car for that.

Ive been shopping between 2014-new models
I know I want it to have paddle shifters not the controls on the front side of the wheel.

I will be test driving a few cars tomorrow when I drop my brother off to pick up his new car. Appreciate any help, thanks!!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

2014-2015 Turbo and Turbo S are minimal difference. Not worth any real premium between the two.
The 2016 Turbo to Turbo S is a bigger difference and worth a premium to some.

look for the colors and options you want in 2014 model and you will be happy.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:26 AM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

MK1 go turbo and save the money. It's only a software tune and few add-ons, that you may opt between.

MK2 go turbo S. It has bigger turbos and worth the money.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:30 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I went with the Turbo S. My reason was the following:
1) In the secondary market, the price difference isn't that big.
2) The Turbo S has a lot of desirable features as standard - Carbon Ceramic Brakes (more braking power and no dust), LED lights, Sport Chrono, and PDCC (which when you think about it makes the TTS a bargain compared with the TT)
3) More power than the TT (which is important if you want to keep your warranty intact by not tuning the car)

The only reason to go with a Turbo is if:
1) You don't want to have PCCB because you track the car a lot and don't want to pay the high cost for replacing the ceramic rotors at some point,
and
2) You intend to tune the car so the fact that the TT has less power is irrelevant.

From what you describe about how you will use the car, I think you should go TTS.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stealth/Hassaan,guys, Op is deliberating whether to get a 997tt or 991 tt....not a 991tt or 991tts.

Apparently the difference between the 2 he is considering is only 10K. I'd have to agree with longboarders assessment, for the sake of 10 there isn't a lot deal to think about unless the 991 is beat...or is pink with orange trim.

And i''m not beating on the 997 either...just for the sake of 10 there isn't much to compare
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I went with the Turbo S. My reason was the following:
1) In the secondary market, the price difference isn't that big.
2) The Turbo S has a lot of desirable features as standard - Carbon Ceramic Brakes (more braking power and no dust), LED lights, Sport Chrono, and PDCC (which when you think about it makes the TTS a bargain compared with the TT)
3) More power than the TT (which is important if you want to keep your warranty intact by not tuning the car)

The only reason to go with a Turbo is if:
1) You don't want to have PCCB because you track the car a lot and don't want to pay the high cost for replacing the ceramic rotors at some point,
and
2) You intend to tune the car so the fact that the TT has less power is irrelevant.

From what you describe about how you will use the car, I think you should go TTS.
On a .1 these are GREAT points. Even om a mew car, by the time you add all of the features above you'll be at roughly the same (if not higher) price.

On a .2 there is a noticeable performance difference in the TT vs TTS. There software and hardware changes. Most notably, larger impellers in the turbos, differences in intake and fuel pressure.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-31-2016, 04:43 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Stealth/Hassaan,guys, Op is deliberating whether to get a 997tt or 991 tt....not a 991tt or 991tts.

Apparently the difference between the 2 he is considering is only 10K. I'd have to agree with longboarders assessment, for the sake of 10 there isn't a lot deal to think about unless the 991 is beat...or is pink with orange trim.
Actually this guy is asking about 991 tt vs tts. There is a different thread where someone is asking about 997tts vs 991tt. I'd give that guy the same answer.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:45 AM
speed21
Banned

Actually this guy is asking about 991 tt vs tts. There is a different thread where someone is asking about 997tts vs 991tt. I'd give that guy the same answer.
Sorry stealth - you are dead right man. My bad....been a big day.

And ya 991tts all the way.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 AM
ColdList
Racer

Sorry stealth - you are dead right man. My bad....been a big day.

And ya 991tts all the way.
Why are the three of us fools up at 3:45 AM with nothing better to do than talk about cars?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by ColdList
Why are the three of us fools up at 3:45 AM with nothing better to do than talk about cars?
You got me there.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:50 AM
ColdList
Racer

You got me there.
Could be worse things to do ;-)
Old 08-31-2016, 04:58 AM
speed21
Banned

...and well we do love our cars. A vice well worth having!

PS Coldlist I see you had a 675LT. Why did you get rid of that? That is an awesome machine!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 AM
ColdList
Racer

...and well we do love our cars. A vice well worth having!

PS Coldlist I see you had a 675LT. Why did you get rid of that? That is an awesome machine!
That we do....

Well, not sure why exactly I get rid of any of these. The 675LT was truly amazing. BY FAR the most exciting car I have ever driven. I have a spider on order so the idea was to sell it before prices tanked while others added to the market and wait three months for the spider...then I happened to stroll into Ferrari of Atlanta and saw this gorgeous 488...frankly, I'm hooked on the car. 675LT is way more raw and wild and will run right past the 675 in a blink but there is something about this Ferrari...
Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by ColdList
That we do....

Well, not sure why exactly I get rid of any of these. The 675LT was truly amazing. BY FAR the most exciting car I have ever driven. I have a spider on order so the idea was to sell it before prices tanked while others added to the market and wait three months for the spider...then I happened to stroll into Ferrari of Atlanta and saw this gorgeous 488...frankly, I'm hooked on the car. 675LT is way more raw and wild and will run right past the 675 in a blink but there is something about this Ferrari...
Yeah I'd love to be able to get one of those. But hear you on the 488. Love it. Have one on the way myself.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 AM
ColdList
Racer

Yeah I'd love to be able to get one of those. But hear you on the 488. Love it. Have one on the way myself.
Oh the 488 is my favorite car to date. You will absolutely love it. It has a real presence. Admittedly, I find myself in the garage (under the guise of being helpful to my wife) just looking at the dang thing. I got the Capristo remote exhaust switch for $700 and it changes the whole personality at low revs. Sounds sooooooo good. Virtually zero turbo lag as well.

The McLaren is great but I've had 4 and the build quality is just not there. Getting out of my buddy's 650S the other day and hopping into the Ferrari put a huge reassuring smile on my face...then again, I'm getting old I guess..40's...not too old...but I like the "nice" feel, smell and creature comforts of the Ferrari interior.

Congrats! I have a spyder arriving next spring. I'll get it because I do enjoy the top down feel of exotics but the coupe is soooooooooo much more sexy!

Quick Reply: Need help deciding between 991 turbo S or 991 turbo