Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

yup..Kline Catless...all drone is gone
Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't hear a drone. I hear a slight drone in 7th at low rpms. Are you in sports mode or sports plus mode? Maybe some of that is coming back thru the sound symposer.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I don't hear a drone. I hear a slight drone in 7th at low rpms. Are you in sports mode or sports plus mode? Maybe some of that is coming back thru the sound symposer.
I suspect the sound imposer is involved, but how much won't be known until it's disconnected. I did hear of a member a while back that disconnected it and commented there had been some kind of improvement. I recall he had fitted some brand of exhaust on as well so disconnecting the symposer aided in removing some of the drone.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:07 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,553 Likes on 1,015 Posts

As promised, this morning I turned off the Burmester and tried - really tried - to hear a drone.

I could get technical about the definition of 'drone' and go on for multiple paragraphs but I won't.

I don't hear a drone. Up to about 35 mph in all reasonable gears for that speed with RPMs below 3k, what I hear is mostly engine noise as filtered through the cabin and symposer.

After 35 mph tire noise begins to dominate sound in the cabin. I do notice that the tire noise is about double of what it was when new. I attribute this to the POS Pirellis getting to <50% thread depth and anticipate a non-linear increase in tire noise from now until I get Michelins. My experience has been that Pirellis get ridiculously-noisy once below 50% new tread depth.

My conclusion: Either the drone is a Turbo-S-only feature or you all are hearing tire noise.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928
As promised, this morning I turned off the Burmester and tried - really tried - to hear a drone.

I could get technical about the definition of 'drone' and go on for multiple paragraphs but I won't.

I don't hear a drone. Up to about 35 mph in all reasonable gears for that speed with RPMs below 3k, what I hear is mostly engine noise as filtered through the cabin and symposer.

After 35 mph tire noise begins to dominate sound in the cabin. I do notice that the tire noise is about double of what it was when new. I attribute this to the POS Pirellis getting to <50% thread depth and anticipate a non-linear increase in tire noise from now until I get Michelins. My experience has been that Pirellis get ridiculously-noisy once below 50% new tread depth.

My conclusion: Either the drone is a Turbo-S-only feature or you all are hearing tire noise.
Worf try the PSC 2's - heaps quieter than the Pirelli's....better all round esp when you get some heat into them. Agree those Pirelli's are as noisy as hell once they wear past 4/5000kms.

If you don't hear drone that's fine. I will say that in normal mode the drone is always less mainly because the g/box reaches for a taller gear keeping the revs outside of the range, along with the tune setting of the engine. You will also find in normal the popping on decel is more or less inaudible.

Sports mode changes the tune/pitch of the turbos and more drone is heard in that mode when you are riding the throttle on an uphill incline.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,553 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Sports mode changes the tune/pitch of the turbos and more drone is heard in that mode when you are riding the throttle on an uphill incline.
I played with Sport mode too. Still no annoying sound whether drone, harmonic, resonance, etc. Except for tires which I can tell will be annoying soon.

It comes down to the definition of 'drone' and whether or not one finds the sound - regardless of definition - annoying.

The TT is more quiet than every other 'fun' car we own; perhaps my threshold for 'annoying' is vastly different.

While the TT may - in stock form - not provide the 'exhaust noise fix' for most, it is still way better in terms of sound that 99% of other cars the engines of which sound like tortured hamsters or nothing at all.

I still think the 'annoying sound' factor reported above is tires.

Worf try the PSC 2's - heaps quieter than the Pirelli's....better all round esp when you get some heat into them. Agree those Pirelli's are as noisy as hell once they wear past 4/5000kms.
Michelin rulz. Pirelli drools. And with the latest F1 tire BS my opinion of Pirelli is lower still.

I will probably run the rest of the OE tread off this season and end-up with about 10k-miles on the Pirellis. In the spring it will be time for a change-up to PSS. Since I DD my TT PSCs are a waste.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928
It comes down to the definition of 'drone' and whether or not one finds the sound - regardless of definition - annoying.
Yeah I think this can be the deciding factor. I'm finding mine really good with the EP system whereas with the stock system it was very annoying in the cruising range, even off an incline. I was surprised Porsche delivered the car like that tbh.

The TT is more quiet than every other 'fun' car we own; perhaps my threshold for 'annoying' is vastly different.
Sure. But it can be made to sound a lot better - and more enjoyable without ruining the general practicality of the car with something that's just too noisy.

While the TT may - in stock form - not provide the 'exhaust noise fix' for most, it is still way better in terms of sound that 99% of other cars the engines of which sound like tortured hamsters or nothing at all.
Agree. There are worse out there...

I still think the 'annoying sound' factor reported above is tires.
That tire noise part is annoying yeah. One day Porsche may fix it properly so the engine and stereo sounds don't get contaminated with tire roar on course chip blacktop. I live in hope....992...one day they will get it.

Michelin rulz. Pirelli drools. And with the latest F1 tire BS my opinion of Pirelli is lower still.
Seems to be the case.

In the spring it will be time for a change-up to PSS. Since I DD my TT PSCs are a waste.
You'd be surprised. The MPSC 2 are pretty damn good in the wet. Nothing at all like the last MPSC version. Now they were a track only tire. I think you will find most using PSS now gone to MPSC 2 won't be going back. I dd mine and the MPSC 2 is very good on street. May need a bit more warming up tho if you want to get aggressive in the corners....and then they really stick. Quieter than PSS and stickier yet still handle well in the wet..
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

There is some resonance at that speed in 7th, but I just go to 6th or drive faster!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 AM
SilveRT8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just took European Delivery of a 2017 911 TTS Cab, did 2,500Km in one week and can assure there is NO drone in this car, now waiting for it to arrive in Canada. I'm very Drone sensitive as I have it bad in my 2013 Viper, changed the exhaust twice and it still annoys me. Had 2 exhaust change on a 08 Viper and had it bad also on a '06 SRT8 Jeep where I went through 4 exhaust changes to get it right.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 AM
speed21
Banned

2017 is def quieter than .1. They have knocked out the popping in SP too. I guess backfiring isn't desirable for the long term health of those expensive VTG's.. Again not to worry - nothing a well sorted system can't fix where the lame sound is concerned. That would be the first thing I would/and will do.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

You'd be surprised. The MPSC 2 are pretty damn good in the wet. Nothing at all like the last MPSC version. Now they were a track only tire. I think you will find most using PSS now gone to MPSC 2 won't be going back. I dd mine and the MPSC 2 is very good on street. May need a bit more warming up tho if you want to get aggressive in the corners....and then they really stick. Quieter than PSS and stickier yet still handle well in the wet..
Not to get this thread too far off topic, but my concern with MPSC 2s are not their wet handling so much as how they handle colder temps. No doubt I'm giving up dry, warm grip, but I have less worries with PSS about poking through traffic on a cold day, which doesn't put much heat into the tires, and then wanting to take on that freeway on ramp.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Not to get this thread too far off topic, but my concern with MPSC 2s are not their wet handling so much as how they handle colder temps. No doubt I'm giving up dry, warm grip, but I have less worries with PSS about poking through traffic on a cold day, which doesn't put much heat into the tires, and then wanting to take on that freeway on ramp.
You are right on with this concern. The PSC 2 are HORRENDOUS when cold. Had them on a Z06/7 and that car would go sideways like I had bricks on the wheels instead of tires even at VERY (under 10 MPH) speeds until they were warm. Wet weather handling is sub par IMO and most definitely if you hit standing water you are in for a surprise...and you won't love it.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 AM
speed21
Banned

Yeah well you guys have a point there. They do need some heat. Funny though because in the wet I haven't found them all that bad at all.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:02 AM
ColdList
Racer

2017 is def quieter than .1. They have knocked out the popping in SP too. I guess backfiring isn't desirable for the long term health of those expensive VTG's.. Again not to worry - nothing a well sorted system can't fix where the lame sound is concerned. That would be the first thing I would/and will do.
My .2 is definitely much quieter than either of my .1 were. Sam and I went through a series of tests with different systems and also decat vs 100 cell motorsport cats. We found a VERY nice solution via a custom inconel setup that Kline built for me very quickly on the fly. Just installed it yesterday. Running 100 cell motorsport cats it actually sounds better and louder than my first decat setup.

Detailed review coming...
Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 AM
ColdList
Racer

Sounds good and genuinely look forward to your review on that Coldilst. Im sure it sounds fine but you know I've got my doubts on that set up...sorry.....and no offence to sambo as Im sure he means well but I can't overlook the science. Seen this thread at all?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...pressions.html

For that X to turn blue like that means there is a ton of heat build up/restriction going on there. Take a peek at the cats on the car. See how dark yellow tan they've also become? The mufflers won't show it because the material inside is insulating them. I mean how can they excuse that blue? That is one serious design flaw... Not saying to put a pipe on like in that last shot although it would flow better. Just wondering why they don't fix that nasty restriction. Looks like the whole product needs to go back to the drawing board... You really don't want anything turning blue if you can avoid it.

Take a peek at the heat chart. http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140...sorry that other link wasn't working..
Interesting, but honestly, my knowledge in regards to exhausts is limited to sound and weight. Not making an argument either way but further in the thread the blueing seems to be pointed out as a common issue with these types of exhausts. My car feels as if it has actually gained power. Granted, I'm running 100 cell motorsport cats...

Quick Reply: Turbo drone noise