EVOMS Tuning Software - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

EVOMS Tuning Software

 
Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 AM
  #1  
GTThre
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
GTThre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38
Default EVOMS Tuning Software

I see many posts and discussions about changing out exhaust systems from OEM to an aftermarket product. However, I do not see any discussion about tuning software/flash. I have a new (160 miles) Turbo S and am considering installing EVOMS tuning software flash and Sharkwerks exhaust. I decided to definitely do the exhaust after reading all of the posts. However, I am not sure about the Flash.

Has anyone done that to their car and what is your opinion? I welcome many opinions, both positive and negative.

You ask, do you really need more power over the 560HP? Need is not exactly my motivation. At this point, it is all about WANT.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
GTThre is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 AM
  #2  
FBA
User
 
FBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: 57.765278 -70.730556
Posts: 255
Default

Cobb and GIAC. And yes, 560 is NOT enough.
FBA is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 AM
  #3  
Verinnal
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 275
Default

Originally Posted by FBA
Cobb and GIAC. And yes, 560 is NOT enough.
Truth, but to be honest I don't know much about evoms. I've got Cobb and I like giac offerings as well. Both have good customer service
Verinnal is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 11:58 AM
  #4  
Hothonda
User
 
Hothonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,123
Default

I am leaning towards Cobb, but found this comparo advertisement GIAC did showing even though the 2014-2016
TT S has more HP than the TT in stock form, once the tune is installed all is the same.

This is because the power difference between the TT & S is nothing more than an ECU tweak from Porsche - again only on 2014-2016 cars. The '17's do have internal differences.

Reference - Excellence Magazine article 12/13 issue (pp 62) interview w/August Achleitner, director of 911 product line, stated that the thicker piston crowns compared to the 997 Turbo were changed in the 991 Turbo to withstand "greater combustion pressure" w/no change in in the 9.8:1 compression ratio. They go on to say the Turbo S motor is mechanically unchanged from the base Turbo, relying purely on an ECU software remap for its extra power & torque.

Hothonda is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
  #5  
Verinnal
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 275
Default

Originally Posted by Hothonda View Post
I am leaning towards Cobb, but found this comparo advertisement GIAC did showing even though the 2014-2016
TT S has more HP than the TT in stock form, once the tune is installed all is the same.

This is because the power difference between the TT & S is nothing more than an ECU tweak from Porsche - again only on 2014-2016 cars. The '17's do have internal differences.
Turbo S has overboost whereas the Turbo doesn't, if Im not mistaken. Didn't look it up to confirm. Could be wrong.
Verinnal is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 PM
  #6  
PMNewton
User
 
PMNewton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by Verinnal View Post
Turbo S has overboost whereas the Turbo doesn't, if Im not mistaken. Didn't look it up to confirm. Could be wrong.
Both have overboost in Sport or Sport+ mode. The S just runs about 2 psi higher than non S. The playing field gets leveled once tuned since there are no mechanical differences between the two engines.

- Patrick
PMNewton is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:08 PM
  #7  
Hothonda
User
 
Hothonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,123
Default

Only If you have the optional "Sport Chrono package " in the 2014-'16 TT - $4090 on mine - (STD on the TTS) do you get over boost.
You are still down the 40HP of the TTS though.

Drove both TTS & TT back to back before I purchased & on the butt dyno I could tell no difference.
Hothonda is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM
  #8  
PertPlus
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: RodKnock's Guest Bedroom
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by FBA View Post
Cobb and GIAC. And yes, 560 is NOT enough.
I did GIAC Stage 2 (and have the Akra catless exhaust) and I agree, it is a night and day difference. I get to the starbucks at the end of my block almost .25 seconds faster now.

Seriously, do it.
PertPlus is offline  
Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 PM
  #9  
FBA
User
 
FBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: 57.765278 -70.730556
Posts: 255
Default

On my '16 991 TTS, I run a Cobb AP3 Stage 3 (upgraded intercoolers) with a Fabspeed exhaust /headers - and I see close to 700 HP now...with a very safe setup.

Not cheap, but seriously more power; power that you can feel and use all over the place. I have cars with way more power, but not nearly as quick.
FBA is offline  
Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM
  #10  
GTThre
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
GTThre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38
Default

I have decided to install the SharkWerks exhaust. I discussed the software with my Porsche dealer and they recommend the Evoms because it is invisible and will not show up on any diagnostics if I have a warranty issue. They have installed several of these and never an issue.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on the Evoms, although I did speak with their technical people directly. I am hearing a lot about Cobbs and GIAC.

Too many options and so much HP!!
GTThre is offline  
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
  #11  
Verinnal
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 275
Default

Originally Posted by GTThre
I have decided to install the SharkWerks exhaust. I discussed the software with my Porsche dealer and they recommend the Evoms because it is invisible and will not show up on any diagnostics if I have a warranty issue. They have installed several of these and never an issue.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on the Evoms, although I did speak with their technical people directly. I am hearing a lot about Cobbs and GIAC.

Too many options and so much HP!!
You could effectively "uninstall" the Cobb ap software before a dealer visit. Reinstall and reflash after.
Verinnal is offline  
Old 03-08-2016, 09:55 AM
  #12  
Hothonda
User
 
Hothonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,123
Default

Originally Posted by Verinnal View Post
You could effectively "uninstall" the Cobb ap software before a dealer visit. Reinstall and reflash after.
Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File. If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you. If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."
Hothonda is offline  
Old 03-09-2016, 04:17 AM
  #13  
HassaanAbdeen
User
 
HassaanAbdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Amman/Jeddah
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Hothonda View Post
Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File. If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you. If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."
The above is 100% true. And it was confirmed two years ago by Champions here if I remember correctly when the doubts started about GIAC.

I guess warranty renewals aren't due yet in most part of the world. But I remember reading that the dealer can find out if it was flashed, if he digs into it. Other than that, it doesn't show.

Bottom line we won't know till the cries come out when renewals are due.

Last edited by HassaanAbdeen; 03-10-2016 at 12:48 PM.
HassaanAbdeen is offline  
Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM
  #14  
Nick Yoskin
User
 
Nick Yoskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 749
Default

If you really want to be sneaky go purchase another ECU and clone it.
Nick Yoskin is offline  
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
  #15  
Stage7
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 115
Default

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin View Post
If you really want to be sneaky go purchase another ECU and clone it.
Don't quote this as fact, but my understanding is that the original ECU has logs that correspond with mileage, talking to other modules, etc that could easily be detected as not matching the data from the other modules associated with the car.

Simply, with digging it would be obvious that the ECU installed was not present for a large part of the mileage put on the car and that another ECU must have been used.

They've become more of a black box these days.

They also frequent internet forums.

The Champion written umbrella warranty looks more and more attractive to those who value their warranty.

I remember you from Corvette Forum btw. You always had sick projects!
Stage7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVOMS Tuning Software


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: