Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo-230/)
-   -   EVOMS Tuning Software (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turbo/922304-evoms-tuning-software.html)

GTThre 03-07-2016 08:03 AM

EVOMS Tuning Software

I see many posts and discussions about changing out exhaust systems from OEM to an aftermarket product. However, I do not see any discussion about tuning software/flash. I have a new (160 miles) Turbo S and am considering installing EVOMS tuning software flash and Sharkwerks exhaust. I decided to definitely do the exhaust after reading all of the posts. However, I am not sure about the Flash.

Has anyone done that to their car and what is your opinion? I welcome many opinions, both positive and negative.

You ask, do you really need more power over the 560HP? Need is not exactly my motivation. At this point, it is all about WANT.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

FBA 03-07-2016 08:49 AM

Cobb and GIAC. And yes, 560 is NOT enough.

Verinnal 03-07-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by FBA

Truth, but to be honest I don't know much about evoms. I've got Cobb and I like giac offerings as well. Both have good customer service

Hothonda 03-07-2016 10:58 AM

I am leaning towards Cobb, but found this comparo advertisement GIAC did showing even though the 2014-2016
TT S has more HP than the TT in stock form, once the tune is installed all is the same.

This is because the power difference between the TT & S is nothing more than an ECU tweak from Porsche - again only on 2014-2016 cars. The '17's do have internal differences.

Reference - Excellence Magazine article 12/13 issue (pp 62) interview w/August Achleitner, director of 911 product line, stated that the thicker piston crowns compared to the 997 Turbo were changed in the 991 Turbo to withstand "greater combustion pressure" w/no change in in the 9.8:1 compression ratio. They go on to say the Turbo S motor is mechanically unchanged from the base Turbo, relying purely on an ECU software remap for its extra power & torque.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...d.png~original

Verinnal 03-07-2016 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 13084289)
I am leaning towards Cobb, but found this comparo advertisement GIAC did showing even though the 2014-2016
TT S has more HP than the TT in stock form, once the tune is installed all is the same.

This is because the power difference between the TT & S is nothing more than an ECU tweak from Porsche - again only on 2014-2016 cars. The '17's do have internal differences.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...d.png~original

Turbo S has overboost whereas the Turbo doesn't, if Im not mistaken. Didn't look it up to confirm. Could be wrong.

PMNewton 03-07-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Verinnal (Post 13085526)
Turbo S has overboost whereas the Turbo doesn't, if Im not mistaken. Didn't look it up to confirm. Could be wrong.

Both have overboost in Sport or Sport+ mode. The S just runs about 2 psi higher than non S. The playing field gets leveled once tuned since there are no mechanical differences between the two engines.

- Patrick

Hothonda 03-07-2016 07:08 PM

Only If you have the optional "Sport Chrono package " in the 2014-'16 TT - $4090 on mine - (STD on the TTS) do you get over boost.
You are still down the 40HP of the TTS though.

Drove both TTS & TT back to back before I purchased & on the butt dyno I could tell no difference.

PertPlus 03-07-2016 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by FBA (Post 13084037)

I did GIAC Stage 2 (and have the Akra catless exhaust) and I agree, it is a night and day difference. I get to the starbucks at the end of my block almost .25 seconds faster now.

Seriously, do it.

FBA 03-07-2016 09:40 PM

On my '16 991 TTS, I run a Cobb AP3 Stage 3 (upgraded intercoolers) with a Fabspeed exhaust /headers - and I see close to 700 HP now...with a very safe setup.

Not cheap, but seriously more power; power that you can feel and use all over the place. I have cars with way more power, but not nearly as quick.

GTThre 03-08-2016 07:42 AM

I have decided to install the SharkWerks exhaust. I discussed the software with my Porsche dealer and they recommend the Evoms because it is invisible and will not show up on any diagnostics if I have a warranty issue. They have installed several of these and never an issue.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on the Evoms, although I did speak with their technical people directly. I am hearing a lot about Cobbs and GIAC.

Too many options and so much HP!!

Verinnal 03-08-2016 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by GTThre
I have decided to install the SharkWerks exhaust. I discussed the software with my Porsche dealer and they recommend the Evoms because it is invisible and will not show up on any diagnostics if I have a warranty issue. They have installed several of these and never an issue.

That being said, I am not 100% sold on the Evoms, although I did speak with their technical people directly. I am hearing a lot about Cobbs and GIAC.

Too many options and so much HP!!

You could effectively "uninstall" the Cobb ap software before a dealer visit. Reinstall and reflash after.

Hothonda 03-08-2016 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Verinnal (Post 13087156)
You could effectively "uninstall" the Cobb ap software before a dealer visit. Reinstall and reflash after.

Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File. If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you. If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."

HassaanAbdeen 03-09-2016 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hothonda (Post 13087201)
Regardless of the tuner package.......here's a statement to consider from one manufacturer (FVD)

"REVERSIBLE – FVD Software is completely reversible for dealer service / diagnostics. We supply you with your TRUE Original OEM Porsche® file as well as the FVD Brombacher Tuned File. If you are concerned about your manufacturer’s warranty, regardless of what other tuners may or may not tell you, once you flash a car with ANY software file including ours, the manufacturer can tell that the car has been flashed. And that includes if you have the ability to write the car back to stock with the OEM file that ourselves or a tuner gives you. If you are concerned about your warranty please see our Software Control Module which is undetectable, FVD Part # FVD 991 618 01."

The above is 100% true. And it was confirmed two years ago by Champions here if I remember correctly when the doubts started about GIAC.

I guess warranty renewals aren't due yet in most part of the world. But I remember reading that the dealer can find out if it was flashed, if he digs into it. Other than that, it doesn't show.

Bottom line we won't know till the cries come out when renewals are due.

Nick Yoskin 03-10-2016 09:07 AM

If you really want to be sneaky go purchase another ECU and clone it.

Stage7 03-10-2016 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin (Post 13094119)
If you really want to be sneaky go purchase another ECU and clone it.

Don't quote this as fact, but my understanding is that the original ECU has logs that correspond with mileage, talking to other modules, etc that could easily be detected as not matching the data from the other modules associated with the car.

Simply, with digging it would be obvious that the ECU installed was not present for a large part of the mileage put on the car and that another ECU must have been used.

They've become more of a black box these days.

They also frequent internet forums.

The Champion written umbrella warranty looks more and more attractive to those who value their warranty.

I remember you from Corvette Forum btw. You always had sick projects!