Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

PEARL

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015 | 01:17 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Default PEARL

Not ordered yet so poke away: (Link updated 12/28/15) http://www.porsche-code.com/PHQIQ396 T
Attached Images  

Last edited by 77tony; 12-28-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:30 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

What's been said: Been seriously thinking about moving to a slightly used 14 or 15 TTS. Have been searching for a non-sunroof (I'm approx 6'5" with a helmet) in white to no avail. The 14 & 15 TTS cars IIRC have 560 hp and If I were to order a new TT, I am only down 20hp. Will be tracking this car 3-4 x per year (I'm no pro) and don't really need the expensive ceramics. On the TT standard features page, I am seeing SC, LED headlights with PDLS, PASM, rear wheel steering, etc. so not missing much there. Configed the TT & TTS the same and MSRP's came to $ 169,420 and $ 195,180. I've seen others get 8% discounts on new orders and if I could do the same, $ 156,000 should put that TT in the garage. This build would be exactly how I want it without many of the frivolous options (to me) options I would pay on a used TTS. I'm 61 years young now and think the TT will be more than enough car for me.02 T

Last edited by 77tony; 12-29-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:09 AM
speed21
Banned

I wouldn't miss the PDCC. Worth every cent especially if you plan any form of performance driving. Makes a huge difference where it counts. If it is dollars then def swap the stereo for it. I would also lose the chalk too as that won't age well at all. Not big on the wheels or the met paint on white. You will achieve a much better result with a set of HRE 101's and, they will give it a better stance.
PS I feel you are making the right move getting the .2.
Old 12-28-2015 | 07:32 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL. Speed21 and I have different priorities.

PDDC is good but Burmester is better.

5-lug Sport Classics rule!

From the other thread: by "Race-type FE", you mean something that's plumbed-in everywhere? Or the typical floor mount that doesn't move with the seat?
Old 12-28-2015 | 08:10 AM
speed21
Banned

I'm sure Burmester is good worf but it wont help it in corners. You are spoilt having both. Maybe just get a decent exhaust for the money - that way you can roll without need for any stereo! Don't forget it is a performance car, not a lexus. I guess the Burmester will help preserve the white seats from turning brown lol.
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:44 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

I like it. If adding PDCC won't break the bank, that's the only addition I would suggest. If it will bust the budget, then consider driving a PDCC car and giving the Burmester a serious listen before you lock in your order. Color choices and wheel choices are personal and subjective, but I prefer the metallic white as you have chosen. The chalk interior won't be easy to keep clean, but you know that already. Unless you routinely wear newish blue jeans, it shouldn't be impossible.
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:14 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

I would go for the standard white....see lots metallic/pearl white paint jobs on Cadillac Escalades & similar.

previous life ↓↓↓ classic looks.

Old 12-28-2015 | 02:33 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
I wouldn't miss the PDCC. Worth every cent especially if you plan any form of performance driving. Makes a huge difference where it counts. If it is dollars then def swap the stereo for it. I would also lose the chalk too as that won't age well at all. Not big on the wheels or the met paint on white. You will achieve a much better result with a set of HRE 101's and, they will give it a better stance.
PS I feel you are making the right move getting the .2.
You wouldn't miss the PDCC Still on the fence on PDCC speed21 but will review previous threads some more before checking that box. Love the new 5-lug Sport Classics and no need for the $$$ HRE's. Maybe some spacers/longer titanium lug bolts are in order https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...lug-bolts.html
Originally Posted by worf928
LOL. Speed21 and I have different priorities.

PDDC is good but Burmester is better.

5-lug Sport Classics rule!

From the other thread: by "Race-type FE", you mean something that's plumbed-in everywhere? Or the typical floor mount that doesn't move with the seat?
I'm with you Dave Burmeister stays. Sorry if I misquoted, not a fire suppresion system found on race cars, a halon bottle purchased recently should do the trick. Thinking about rear pass side floor.
I'm sure Burmester is good worf but it wont help it in corners. You are spoilt having both. Maybe just get a decent exhaust for the money - that way you can roll without need for any stereo! Don't forget it is a performance car, not a lexus. I guess the Burmester will help preserve the white seats from turning brown lol.
As stated earlier, I'm no pro race driver, but like an occasional DE track day/spirited ride.
Originally Posted by Need4S
I like it. If adding PDCC won't break the bank, that's the only addition I would suggest. If it will bust the budget, then consider driving a PDCC car and giving the Burmester a serious listen before you lock in your order. Color choices and wheel choices are personal and subjective, but I prefer the metallic white as you have chosen. The chalk interior won't be easy to keep clean, but you know that already. Unless you routinely wear newish blue jeans, it shouldn't be impossible.
I really need to ride in a PDCC equipped TT/TTS. Wife's 2014 MB E-350 has the linen interior and has been the guinea pig on the light colored interior topic. Has shown no signs of discoloration, etc. in the 2 years we have owned this car and with no extra care. Really like the two tone interior along with the silver trim.

Hothonda Quote: I would go for the standard white....see lots metallic/pearl white paint jobs on Cadillac Escalades & similar. Previous life classic looks.

Thanks for chiming in Steve, Have owned about 20+ white cars/trucks over the years and prefer the metallic. Would like to order an approved PTS color (maybe Minerva Blue) if that's available at order time and won't add much time to this build. Few questions: does anyone know where Porsche mounts there FE bottle, what material is used for the TT door cards and silver finished trim. TIA T
Attached Images    

Last edited by 77tony; 12-28-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 07:21 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by 77tony
You wouldn't miss the PDCC
I meant miss in the context it is a box you should tick if you want to get the best out of your spirited driving. Back to back the two on "your" limit and then by all means tell me it isn't worth every penny. The TT carries its weight well under normal to medium driving but over that its weight allows what I would consider too much roll without PDCC. There is a youtube between the two which shows the difference more clearly.

As stated earlier, I'm no pro race driver, but like an occasional DE track day/spirited ride.
Nor I. Your replies clear up you are solid on having certain things, but you did ask for input. I mainly mentioned PDCC as you are "custom building" and have clearly stated you intend the odd DE. Dealer stock is rarely found with that option also. For the options you have now I would personally wait for dealer stock to flow through rather than paying the premium for a custom built car that will have in ways less than what the majority of the dealer stock cars will have. Once the immediate orders are all satisfied the dealers start "dealing" and bargains will be had. Just be mindful you only get one go at it and the option cost represents a small amount against the base vehicle cost...yet will differentiate it from most stock TT's. Sometimes you need to offset certain detractors with other features, which come into play at resale.

I would agree the 5 spoke stock wheel is nicer value for the money vs a 101. Hard to argue that. I understand cost is a major consideration in the initial stages but knowing what I know now about the performance aspects of this car I personally would no way compromise the performance potential for the sake of an upgraded sound system. Just my opinion as a current owner.
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-28-2015 | 08:15 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

I prefer and went with the carrera white metallic
Old 12-28-2015 | 09:28 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Gt3Fan, Any decent pics of the white metallic ? TIA T
Old 12-28-2015 | 09:54 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

My replies in blue:I meant miss in the context it is a box you should tick if you want to get the best out of your spirited driving. Back to back the two on "your" limit and then by all means tell me it isn't worth every penny. The TT carries its weight well under normal to medium driving but over that its weight allows what I would consider too much roll without PDCC. There is a youtube between the two which shows the difference more clearly.
Since bringing PDCC to my attention have now read the reviews, watched a few videos and am still on the fence. Greatly appreciate input from someone who has tried both
Nor I. Your replies clear up you are solid on having certain things, but you did ask for input. Again, much apprecate your input I mainly mentioned PDCC as you are "custom building" and have clearly stated you intend the odd DE. Dealer stock is rarely found with that option also. For the options you have now I would personally wait for dealer stock to flow through rather than paying the premium for a custom built car that will have in ways less than what the majority of the dealer stock cars will have. Once the immediate orders are all satisfied the dealers start "dealing" and bargains will be had. Just be mindful you only get one go at it and the option cost represents a small amount against the base vehicle cost...yet will differentiate it from most stock TT's. Sometimes you need to offset certain detractors with other features, which come into play at resale.
I do not want to wait till fall for these specials for something they won't have: sunroof delete car with options preferred. e-mailed the dealer I purchased the 50th and he came back with 6.5% off MSRP. I think I can get it to 8% off if I push. That would put me at approx $ 155,000 and that's a number I feel comfortable with.
I would agree the 5 spoke stock wheel is nicer value for the money vs a 101. Hard to argue that. I understand cost is a major consideration in the initial stages but knowing what I know now about the performance aspects of this car I personally would no way compromise the performance potential for the sake of an upgraded sound system. Just my opinion as a current owner. This particular ride will be more of an all around GT car wife & I will enjoy riding through the countryside, an occasional spirited ride with the guys and 3-4 DE track days. Burmester is staying, not impressed with the Bose system in the 50th. T

Last edited by 77tony; 12-29-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 10:11 PM
speed21
Banned

OP agree the Bose is nothing special but mainly because of the road noise intrusion. You cant escape that in this car unfortunately (until Porsche does something about it) and you will get to see what I mean there once you own the car. And that is precisely why I wouldn't sacrifice any performance feature for the sound. The road intrusion will always be a detracting point for anyone seeking to get the best out of an optioned up stereo in this car. Now if we were talking about a Bentley, different story, as you have the super silent cabin where an exquisite sound system can be appreciated. With this car the stereo is there along with the tire roar.....kind of a spoiler really. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there.
Re the no roof. I love the no roof, have it that way myself. As a car goes it is tighter/quieter/lighter without. BUT. Most want a roof so no roof sits in the minority. Again why you need a number of other attributes to offset that when resale comes around. None of us buy a car to sell, but sale does come around at one point...that's a reality we all must face.
Old 12-28-2015 | 10:20 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 77tony
Still on the fence on PDCC...
My three must-have options were: 18-way seats, Burmester and PDCC.

PDCC isn't just about flat cornering. It's hydraulic sway bars; they are almost uncoupled when you're just lumping around. It makes a noticeable difference on the Pot-Helled Crap called roads around here. (As an aside: You know I'm originally from Texas right? Most of the dirt roads in the Panhandle that I used to drive on are better than a lot of the 'paved' roads I have to drive on here every day. The only upside is no stone chips from the gravel.)

Thus PDCC, for it's more-mundane ride characteristics, is important to me. Of course when you 'get on it' the handling is go-kart flat.

All that written, from spending a week driving my wife's 981CS into work (while she was on travel a month ago) I came the conclusion that those Porsche propeller heads really do know how to Do Suspension. PDCC makes a noticeable difference but I could live without it. If it wasn't an option. But, the $3k is spare change at this price level. On the other hand, if you don't intend to drive on lumpy roads with any frequency you may not miss it (until Speed comes slidin' by you in a long sweeper all flat-like ...)

Few questions: does anyone know where Porsche mounts there FE bottle...
Heh. Just a guess: Probably the guy who has one in his TT and recommended it to you?

The OE mount is attached to the passenger seat frame. It moves with the seat. It's pretty unobtrusive and doesn't interfere with your passenger's feet. (That's why you don't see it in any of my pictures (under the assumption you looked for it.))

When I needed to mount an FE to the 981CS for resumption of CarChick's track days, I searched for a good mount for a standard FE 'cause I have a bunch of them. Rennline makes a nice mount for most Porsches that fastens to the seat frame and not the floor rails. I have one on my '91 and it's great. The FE moves with the seat, doesn't limit seat travel, doesn't cut your passengers calves, etc. The problem is: Rennline doesn't make one for the adaptive seats - or at least they didn't a year ago.

So, by the time you look for and source an FE mount that bolts to the floor rails and doesn't move with the seat and then buy a set of Torx sockets (not keys, sockets) for the non-#$%$^ing-Alan bolts, the $140 for a functional turn-key factory solution that works well looks compelling.

I'm sure Burmester is good worf but it wont help it in corners.
'tis true. But, I find PDCC lacks tight bass and mid-range clarity.
You are spoilt having both.
Quite.

Maybe just get a decent exhaust for the money
Nothing anyone can do to the flat-6 motor will ever sound as good as my supercharged '91 928 GT.

- that way you can roll without need for any stereo!
I use my TT as a three-season DD. I want all the goodies. It's a GT car for me not a weekend toy. Like Tony's, my 928 is a beast and provides plenty of weekend grins. (And a better stereo. Hell, if it was remotely possible to retrofit PDK to a 928 I wouldn't need a 991 TT. I could turn my other GT into a commuter!)

Don't forget it is a performance car, not a l****.
Please don't ever use the L-word in my context again. As they say where I'm from originally: "dems fightin' words son!"
Old 12-28-2015 | 10:33 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

... the road noise intrusion ... precisely why I wouldn't sacrifice any performance feature for the sound. The road intrusion will always be a detracting point ...
While I agree that it sounds better when you are parked and the engine is off, the Burmester still sounds way better than the Bose at highway speed. Is it worth the money? Probably? Not?

Only the factory FE and mount is worth the money by any objective measure.

But to get better sound in the 991 (and not end-up with a hacked electrical mess) you would have to spend more than the cost of the Burmester.

Quick Reply: PEARL