Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo-- Details Released in 6 Days?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM
HassaanAbdeen
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
My dealer confirmed June order and late Oct 2016 delivery.
So Porsche will release a 991.2 turbo in Dec 2015, to start receiving orders six months later?

I feel like I slept and woke in a different time in life. I still I can't understand how Porsche will release THEIR Benchmark without an Autoshow event, and too soon after the 991.2 Carrera, and too far from receiving orders!

Nothing makes sense here.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HassaanAbdeen
So Porsche will release a 991.2 turbo in Dec 2015, to start receiving orders six months later?

I feel like I slept and woke in a different time in life. I still I can't understand how Porsche will release THEIR Benchmark without an Autoshow event, and too soon after the 991.2 Carrera, and too far from receiving orders!

Nothing makes sense here.
I's supposed to officially debut at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show in January, and then begin taking orders in June for late October delivery. This is very typical with Porsche and other car company launch schedules.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Not lovin' the square exhaust tips.

Or the gigantic plastic diffuser on that 981.2(?) Boxster...
Old 11-30-2015, 06:42 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Not lovin' the square exhaust tips.

Or the gigantic plastic diffuser on that 981.2(?) Boxster...
The tips are the same as what's on now so no surprises there. You can always put the round T'quipment tips on if the squares don't suit, but the cut-outs do fit the shape of the squares better.

Late 16 first deliveries is also on schedule with majority in 2017, so no surprises there either.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:43 PM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche previews new 911 Turbo and Turbo S before Detroit debut
http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-tur...-detroit-debut

Porsche previews new 911 Turbo and Turbo S before Detroit debut

Once upon a time, Porsche made 911s, and it made 911 Turbos. Standard 911s were naturally-aspirated, and the Turbo was turbocharged. Today, the standard Porsche 911 is turbocharged. But it isn’t called the 911 Turbo – that name is reserved for... a turbocharged 911. It's about as clear as Weißbier.

If you're still following, Porsche has now revealed the latest iterations of the 911 Turbo and Turbo S, which sit atop the range of existing turbocharged 911s just as they did to those cars’ naturally-aspirated predecessors.

Thankfully, they can still be differentiated by their swollen power outputs and a host of visual indications, including revised front and rear bodywork, a wider body than Carrera and Carrera S models, and a set of generously-proportioned alloy wheels.

The engine is still central to the 911 Turbo and Turbo S’s appeal, however. Each produces 20bhp more power than before, raising the Turbo’s total to 532bhp, thanks to modified inlet ports, new injection nozzles and higher fuel pressure. The Turbo S climbs to 573bhp, largely down to new turbochargers with larger compressors.

Both models also feature ‘dynamic boost’, a system that improves engine response as throttle position changes. In transient conditions – for example, a lift of the throttle before re-applying it – the engine can cut power by interrupting fuel injection rather than fully closing the throttle, maintaining charge pressure and improving response. Porsche describes the effect as ‘more pronounced’ in Sport and Sport Plus modes.

Acceleration figures are as minuscule as before – the Turbo reaches 62mph in three seconds flat and hits 199mph flat out, while the Turbo S shaves a tenth from the Turbo’s 0-62mph sprint and adds 6mph to its top speed. Overtaking performance will be strong too; the standard Sport Chrono package featyres a Sport Response button on the steering wheel’s mode switch, which preconditions engine and gearbox for 20 seconds of ‘optimal acceleration’.

The cars’ cornering prowess is enhanced with several revisions to their electronic systems. PASM is standard and broadens the gap between performance and comfort modes, with PDCC roll compensation and PCCB carbon ceramic brakes also standard. Optionally available is a lift system for the front axle, which raises ground clearance by 40mm.

The Porsche Stability Management system has new Sport Mode, which allows for detailed exploration of the car’s limits without significant stability control intervention.

Those limits are sure to be high, not least as the Turbo has wider wheels front and rear – 9x20in at the front and 11.5x20in at the rear, matching the Turbo S. As well as their effect on grip, the new design freshens up the Turbo’s styling, and joins detail changes from the rest of the revised 911 range.

Pricing begins at £126,925 for the standard 911 Turbo, and £145,773 for the Turbo S. Both are also available as Cabriolet models, which adds £8841 to the cost of each coupe. All are available to order from today, with deliveries starting in January 2016.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM
speed21
Banned

Delete. Message redundant.

Last edited by speed21; 11-30-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Sebaflex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the link to R&T article posted today: ROAD AND TRACK 2017 Porsche Turbo

The real difference is under the hood, where the 3.8 liter now makes 540 horsepower in the Turbo and 580 horsepower in the Turbo S. That drops the time it takes the Turbo S to get to 60 by 0.1 seconds, to 2.8. The regular Turbo is a slowpoke at 2.9 seconds to hit 60. Top speed is 198, up 2 mph.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has a press release up here--> http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=963

Atlanta, Georgia. Porsche will be off to a powerful start in 2016 when the 2017 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S make their world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. The top-of-the-line 911 models will be available in both coupe and convertible body styles and are equipped with engines offering 20 horsepower more than before, a sharper design, and enhanced features. The 3.8 liter twin-turbo six-cylinder engine powering the 911 Turbo now develops 540 hp. The increase in horsepower is achieved through modified intake ports in the cylinder heads, new fuel injectors, and higher fuel pressure. The 911 Turbo S now makes 580 hp thanks to new turbochargers with larger impeller. In addition to a higher maximum torque (553 lb.-ft. in overboost compared to 523 lb.-ft. on the Turbo), the Turbo S also has a higher redline (7200 rpm instead of 7000). Porsche is still the only manufacturer to use turbochargers with variable turbine geometry in gasoline engines.

The engines now also have a dynamic boost function, which improves throttle response during spirited driving. It maintains the boost pressure during load changes – i.e. when the accelerator pedal is briefly released. This is achieved by interrupting fuel injection, while the throttle valve remains partially open. As a result, the engine responds to changing throttle applications with practically no delay. The effects of this function are particularly pronounced in the Sport and Sport Plus modes.

The powertrain enhancements take the performance of the 911 Turbo models to even higher levels than before. The 911 Turbo S Coupe accelerates from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds, making it 0.1 seconds faster than its predecessor. Its top track speed of 205 miles per hour has increased by 7 miles per hour. The 911 Turbo reaches 60 miles per hour from standstill in 2.9 seconds, and its top track speed is 198 miles per hour – 2 miles per hour faster than the previous model. In spite of this increased performance, further advanced electronic engine and transmission management with revised gear change mappings reduce fuel consumption. EPA fuel consumption ratings will be available at a later date.

A standard feature on all Turbo models: Sport Chrono Package with mode switch and Sport Response button.
The Sport Chrono Package is now a standard feature on all 911 Turbo models. This includes the new GT sport steering wheel in 918 Spyder design measuring 360 mm or 14.1 inches in diameter and is equipped with a mode switch. It consists of a rotary ring with stepped positions that can be used to select one of the four drivetrain modes Normal, Sport, Sport Plus, or Individual. The Individual setting lets the driver configure and store her or his preferred vehicle setup, including PDK shift strategy, throttle response and damper control. Another new feature of the Sport Chrono Package is the Sport Response button. When the black button located in the center of the mode switch is pressed, it preconditions the engine and transmission for the best possible responsiveness. In this state, the vehicle can produce optimal acceleration for up to 20 seconds.

The Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system in the 911 Turbo models now features a new PSM Sport Mode. When the PSM button on the center console is pressed once, PSM Sport Mode is activated. This new mode shifts the PSM's intervention to a higher threshold than was the case in Sport Plus mode on the previous model. PSM Sport Mode allows the driver to approach the limits of the car more closely, for example on a closed course. However, PSM still remains active to help the driver maintain vehicle stability. True to the Porsche philosophy of giving the driver the option of full vehicle control, a long press of the PSM button completely deactivates the system.

A full set of driving dynamic features
The chassis of the new 911 Turbo models with PASM as standard now offers an even greater spread between performance and comfort. In addition, the 911 Turbo S offers a full array of standard equipment for peak performance: the active roll stabilization program PDCC is standard on the S model as is the Porsche Composite Ceramic Brake (PCCB) system. New options for all 911 Turbo models include radar-based lane change assist and a lift system for the front axle that can be used to increase ground clearance by 40 mm or 1.5 inches measured at the front spoiler lip. Sport Chrono Package, Park Assist front and rear including reversing camera, and LED headlights with the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) are now standard on all 911 Turbo models. In addition to higher performance, the Turbo S models offer an even more extensive range of standard equipment than the Turbo variants, including 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus with seat backrests in leather, a two-tone leather interior, LED headlights with PDLS+, Sport Design exterior mirrors, and Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Sharper design with new characteristics
Naturally, the new generation of 911 Turbo adopts significant design characteristics of the 2017 911 Carrera models, supplemented by typical 911 Turbo special features. The redesigned front end with side air blades and narrow LED front lights with double fillets promote the width of the car, as does the additional fin in the central air intake. All models are also fitted with new 20-inch wheels. The center lock wheels on the 911 Turbo S feature seven instead of ten double spokes. Measuring 9 J x 20 at the front and 11.5 J x 20 at the rear, the new wheels of the 911 Turbo models are each half an inch wider, equaling those of the 911 Turbo S in size. Just like on the 911 Carrera models, new door handles without recess covers give the car a sleeker look. The rear fascia was also thoroughly reworked. Three-dimensional rear lights with their four-point brake lights and aura-like illumination, familiar from the 911 Carrera series, catch the eye. The new models also feature redesigned dual tailpipes and exhaust tips. As before, the Turbo S can be distinguished by stainless steel exhaust tips in black chrome, while the Turbo is fitted with those in high gloss chrome. The new rear decklid grill now features three parts: the right and left sections have longitudinal vent vanes, and the middle cover is separated to optimize air induction for the engine.

New Porsche Communication Management with online navigation
As in all 2017 911 variants, the newly developed infotainment system, PCM with navigation, is standard. This system features a 7-inch multi-touch monitor with high-quality glass surface, which is perfectly integrated into the center console and offers numerous new and extended connectivity functions thanks to the standard Connect Plus module. Navigation can also access the latest online traffic information in real time (Google® StreetView). Routes and destinations can be visualized with 360-degree images and satellite images (Google® Earth). In addition, the system can now process handwritten inputs. Moreover, compatible cell phones and smartphones can now be integrated more quickly, easily and comprehensively than before via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or cable. Select vehicle functions can now be controlled remotely as well. As in the previous models, the 555 watt Bose sound system with 12 loudspeakers, an active subwoofer and center speaker is offered as standard; an 821 watt Burmester system with 12 loudspeakers and a 300 watt active subwoofer can be ordered as an option.

In the United States, the new generation of Porsche 911 Turbo will reach dealers in April 2016. Base MSRP is as follows, not including the destination charge:

911 Turbo $ 159,200
911 Turbo Cabriolet $ 171,500
911 Turbo S $ 188,100
911 Turbo S Cabriolet $ 200,400
Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 PM
speed21
Banned

Thanks for the links guys! The new cars sound amazing!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,115 Likes on 5,266 Posts

Maybe I missed it, and apologies if I did, but was there any announcement on the official weight of the 991.2 TT/TTS?

Lighter? Heavier? Same?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breathing a sigh of relief...

Breathing a sigh of relief that there are no BIG differences between this new 991.2 TTS and the new 2016 991.1 TTS that is being delivered to me tomorrow...

yes the new steering wheel is awesome and the new PCM is really nice and +20hp is an upgrade...but nothing earth shattering that causes me to second-guess not waiting a few extra months.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe I missed it, and apologies if I did, but was there any announcement on the official weight of the 991.2 TT/TTS?

Lighter? Heavier? Same?
I think all of the info available about the 991.2 is in that press release above. I didn't see any mention of weight changing, and I'd expect it does not.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 137 Posts

A few new additional features, but it would take an absolute purist to see the difference between the new ones and ours.

Once again proof that there really is no issue with a Porsche 911 Turbo being "outdated". Anything form 930-991 Turbo is a very cool car with massive potential that no enthusiast will ever look down on.

Even the 996 Turbos with Tiptronic. Sort of.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:30 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by worldattorney
Breathing a sigh of relief that there are no BIG differences between this new 991.2 TTS and the new 2016 991.1 TTS that is being delivered to me tomorrow...

yes the new steering wheel is awesome and the new PCM is really nice and +20hp is an upgrade...but nothing earth shattering that causes me to second-guess not waiting a few extra months.
I'm in the same boat having just picked up my 2016 a few weeks ago. I do really like that stearing wheel though and may change mine out, as it was the one feature I didn't like on my car(the luxury one) not the sports with the paddles.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:42 AM
speed21
Banned

Dealer is talking May deliveries here so she is certainly coming earlier than I expected. Dayum!! I bet there will be some good deals to be done on any current stocks available. You'd need to be getting a VERY good deal now, or forget it!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo-- Details Released in 6 Days?