Sponsored by: Road Spy

911 Turbo S Engine Auto Stop and Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM
bryant1609
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Turbo S Engine Auto Stop and Start

I've had my 2014 911 Turbo S for just two weeks as of today and was wondering does anyone really use the engine Auto stop and start feature on this car. I recently just turned it on to see what it does and if appears to work as stated. When the car come to a stop it will shut down the engine as long as your foot is on the break, and if you're driving along and take your foot off the gas the car would just coast and the RPM drop to idle speed. That feature I really like but the stopping and starting the engine I feel a little uneasy about. In time isn't this going to affect the engine starter?? In traffic this is happening a lot and I don't want this to hurt the starter in the long run. Should I be using this, or maybe turn it off in heavy traffic???

Thanks
2014 911 Turbo S
This car is a BEAST
Old 10-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

No doubt that using this feature will cause more wear on starter components. But will it wear out the starter before you sell the car? Who knows. As for heavy traffic, that's the time it is most annoying because of the higher frequency of starts. But spending a lot of time stopped and going nowhere is where the system can best do its job and save fuel and reduce emissions. Whether you favor saving on the or saving your starter is up to you. I've tried the feature a few times when I have high waiting times during commutes or other mundane things. Also, you probably notice it doesn't work until the car is warmed up.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
bryant1609
AutoX

Thanks for your feedback, and yes I'm aware that the car needs to warm up before that feature would start working. I'm worried more so cause I hope to keep this car for a long time so if using this is going to lead to issues with the starter down the road I don't want to use it. But considering they have this feature in the car did they beet up the starter to handle this over the long term???
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

This is first thing I turn off as soon as I get in the car.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eddtiff
This is first thing I turn off as soon as I get in the car.
What many dealers do on this car before it is even sold is reset the switch default to off, so if you want it on you will need to manually activate it by pressing the button. Just ask your dealer and he will reset it using the piwis. It is no big deal to do, takes little time to change. I agree the stop start feature has value in high idling traffic situations but I personally wouldn't advise using it if you are travelling at any speed and then come to as stop as the engine shuts off as you know and the turbos would be still spinning at a higher rpm. The wear to the starter would be my least worry.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
What many dealers do on this car before it is even sold is reset the switch default to off, so if you want it on you will need to manually activate it by pressing the button. Just ask your dealer and he will reset it using the piwis. It is no big deal to do, takes little time to change. I agree the stop start feature has value in high idling traffic situations but I personally wouldn't advise using it if you are travelling at any speed and then come to as stop as the engine shuts off as you know and the turbos would be still spinning at a higher rpm. The wear to the starter would be my least worry.
Yeap, the next time I take it in, which should be a while (I think the 1st service is 5000km), I will get them to default it to off.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:55 AM
bryant1609
AutoX

Originally Posted by eddtiff
Yeap, the next time I take it in, which should be a while (I think the 1st service is 5000km), I will get them to default it to off.
I can't speak for every year 911 but you can just save this setting to the key. No need to go to the dealer for this. This comes from reading the owner's manual
Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 177 Posts

I agree that it can be annoying in stop and go traffic, and I will turn it off then. Otherwise, I leave it on. The people that made a clutch and transmission good for endless launch control launches can surely engineer a starter motor that's up to its intended duty cycle.

Its a Porsche, not a Chevy - trust in the engineering.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

Originally Posted by bryant1609
I can't speak for every year 911 but you can just save this setting to the key. No need to go to the dealer for this. This comes from reading the owner's manual
I've been using the app more as my manual. Will check it out later. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:21 AM
rolling porsche
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a 2015, and I turned it off since the first day and the system stay that way.
I dont need to do this every time i start the car
Old 11-02-2015, 09:32 AM
bryant1609
AutoX

Originally Posted by Just J
I agree that it can be annoying in stop and go traffic, and I will turn it off then. Otherwise, I leave it on. The people that made a clutch and transmission good for endless launch control launches can surely engineer a starter motor that's up to its intended duty cycle.

Its a Porsche, not a Chevy - trust in the engineering.
Good point, well I've been leaving it on so far and lucky haven't run into really heavy traffic yet. I really like the coast feature when this is on, and for the user who said the engine would turn off before the car comes to a full stop doesn't really understand the features of the Auto engine shutdown. Only when the car comes to a full stop does it shut down the engine. With that in mine the Turbo is not spinning at the point.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bryant1609
Good point, well I've been leaving it on so far and lucky haven't run into really heavy traffic yet. I really like the coast feature when this is on, and for the user who said the engine would turn off before the car comes to a full stop doesn't really understand the features of the Auto engine shutdown. Only when the car comes to a full stop does it shut down the engine. With that in mine the Turbo is not spinning at the point.
Actually, I too have found that when braking to a stop, the engine will shut off just a little before the car is completely stopped.

Like you, I like the coast feature, although it takes some getting used to the weird feeling when you come off the gas and you don't get that engine-drag-braking feel.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 AM
bryant1609
AutoX

Originally Posted by Just J
Actually, I too have found that when braking to a stop, the engine will shut off just a little before the car is completely stopped.

Like you, I like the coast feature, although it takes some getting used to the weird feeling when you come off the gas and you don't get that engine-drag-braking feel.
In either case the Turbo Fan isn't running as another user has stated. But I find the in most cases, and I stress most cases the engine doesn't shutdown until the car comes to a full stop. The owner's guide says 1 mph the engine would shutdown, and I found that if I let the car keep rolling slowly and if I'm only pressing the brake lightly the engine stays on. I also found if you turn on the turn signal before coming to a full stop that when you do come to a stop the engine will not shut down. Smart car I think :-)
Old 11-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Carjunky1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pushing almost 14,000 miles on my 2015 TTS. I use auto-stop/start all of the time unless I am in traffic creeping along. I completely trust the engineering. It seems absurd that just a decade ago we had to run turbocharged engines through a cool down period to ensure the bearings didn't get cooked. Now the DME instantly shuts off the engine below 4 mph provided the brake pedal is pressed. Electrical cooling systems help, but I'm not sure how the oil is effectively cooled during shut downs. The 918 has a similar feature as a hybid with an on-demand internal combustion engine. Is it worth the 4-8% fuel savings? No, but Porsche has to meet stringent emissions standards and this is one trick in its arsenal.

Everyone who has driven with me hates the feature! They feel vulnerable as if they may have to get out and push-start the car.

Personally, if you like it use it, and if not then have it programmed off. This would not void your warranty.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo S Engine Auto Stop and Start