Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Speed21
Can we see some pictures of your Porsche TT(s) or specs of your car(s)?
These forums are for enthusiast to express and share their experiences.
Rennlist members have garage queens to track kings, each to own lifestyle.
Please respect other members.

PS: I see you got throw off 6speed!
Originally Posted by FBA
Let me be a little more direct; you'd likely be the last one I'd take it to, should there ever be a failure...

I'd probably get an accurate diagnosis faster than you, on my own.

By the way, exactly what do you drive? I've seen a lot of your posts and quite a few posters who don't really think much of you or your posts, but have never actually seen or heard anything about the Porsche you own? Do you? Do you have any pictures of it?

You seem to thrive on contention, judging by most of the posts I have seen of yours around here...seems that you always have to be right, so is that generally what you do on forums? Is there some deficiency you feel you need to make up for?
Ol' speedy only responds to direct questions of legitimacy with personal innuendo. No more, no less... always!

A sad little man sitting alone at a keyboard is the only image he conveys. No more, no less.... always!

In my case a TTS cab vs the TT cab with options "I wanted" had a $30K delta.
$30K buys a lot of gas, tires and an exhaust... Plus perhaps a tune down the road!

Last edited by NVRANUF; 08-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default back to OP's question

Originally Posted by speed21

Bottom line to this thread is you can pay more to option up a base turbo in a bid to match the output of turbo S but it will never be the same sum of its parts as a total car. Tuning the base engine just throws everything out, along with the warranty which is incinerated immediately. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me when you cant even effectively use what you've got. But by all means to each their own!
The OP might be getting confused with a lot of discussion about modifying a base Turbo vs the extra cost of a TTS and may, after all decide to get a base and tune/modify it. I certainly respect anyone's prerogative to tune their car. I am happy to learn that so far no tuned car has overheated or gone into limp mode, except for repeated drag runs on hot days. Go for the iron rotors as well, just keep in mind that changes of pads at 50% extends the PCCB rotor life significantly.

My point is simply that until I can drive my TTS on a circuit at 10/10, my stock car is more than enough for me. If and when I get there, my choice will probably to get the next version of the 911 turbo or maybe the one after that, which will be making a lot more power than the 991.1 or 991.2 TTS. My comment about Z06's relates to my first hand experience at the track recently. They are amazing cars, but do not have the reliability of a Porsche, at least not yet.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Actually given the similarity between the 997.2 TTS and 991 TTS powertrains the 997.2 TTS experience has been very instructive. Bigger ICs and a revised tuned from GIAC did the same for the 997.2 that they will for the 991 TTS -- a huge jump in performance that plunged quarter mile times into the nines. I am just not hearing reports of the GIAC tune blowing up 997.2 TTS engines and those tunes have been out for many years already.

Upgraded intercoolers are a common option when turning up the turbo boost with a big tune. With my other car, the 2015 E63 S, all the major tuners have them available (Renntech, AMS, Weistec, etc). Dinan has them for many of BMW models it tunes as well.

And at the time I bought the GIAC Stage 2 tune I was well aware that Champion was developing bigger Intercoolers for the car just as it had done for the 997.2 Turbo and Turbo S with success.

I don't believe GIAC has simply relied upon the car's safety measures to protect the car against the extra stress from its tunes. The tune itself, according to them, has built in safety measures.

If GIAC's tune was killing our cars' motors it would be all over the modding scene and this forum. But it isn't.

The 991 TTS is plenty fast in stock form. But some of us want more power and are willing to take whatever risks may result. But I don't see the risks as major

sdg1871, reading over your posts regarding your heat soak issues, I note others with similar mods/tune are not experiencing what you are. Im not saying the IC's are completely innocent here but you dont want to be in a position of bandaiding the problem. Have you ever given any consideration toward going back over the basics? Far too often people look at the bigger things as being responsible rather than the little things. I see you have a BMC, IPD, GIAC and the EP exhaust. I would suggest that you go through a process of elimination first, such as removing the BMC and checking/cleaning all the sensors. These filters are reknown for contaminating the sensors and really have a questionable performance benefit period. Personally I would not use an oil reliant filter given the fact you have poor access to cleaning and checking, along with the position of the engine in relativity to the debris that trails the cars slipstream. Do your checks there and see what you find. If all is perfectly clear, then i would then look at the install of the ipd and exhaust. You may even need to remove the exhaust to visually check the cats for blockage or damage. If the car has been running rich anything is possible. Anyway feel free to pm me and if I can help at all Im happy to do so. Also be mindful that Porsche has kept clear of using any metal based products in the intake ducting and plenum area, another potential, putting aside the fact the IPD plenum is disturbing the balance of the evap systems. I note CMS is producing carbon fiber ducting which may be worthy of consideration in future. Now if only they could mold the plenum using the same material...and fit the stock valving using factory positioning. GL.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Meh remember folks, and this forum isn't about winning an argument or a Tif, it's always easier and better to put someone in your Ignore List than to stoop down to their level.
Actually, I live by this:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

-- Mark Twain

Old 08-27-2015, 08:42 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
sdg1871, reading over your posts regarding your heat soak issues, I note others with similar mods/tune are not experiencing what you are. Im not saying the IC's are completely innocent here but you dont want to be in a position of bandaiding the problem. Have you ever given any consideration toward going back over the basics? Far too often people look at the bigger things as being responsible rather than the little things. I see you have a BMC, IPD, GIAC and the EP exhaust. I would suggest that you go through a process of elimination first, such as removing the BMC and checking/cleaning all the sensors. These filters are reknown for contaminating the sensors and really have a questionable performance benefit period. Personally I would not use an oil reliant filter given the fact you have poor access to cleaning and checking, along with the position of the engine in relativity to the debris that trails the cars slipstream. Do your checks there and see what you find. If all is perfectly clear, then i would then look at the install of the ipd and exhaust. You may even need to remove the exhaust to visually check the cats for blockage or damage. If the car has been running rich anything is possible. Anyway feel free to pm me and if I can help at all Im happy to do so. Also be mindful that Porsche has kept clear of using any metal based products in the intake ducting and plenum area, another potential, putting aside the fact the IPD plenum is disturbing the balance of the evap systems. I note CMS is producing carbon fiber ducting which may be worthy of consideration in future. Now if only they could mold the plenum using the same material...and fit the stock valving using factory positioning. GL.
I agree. When the car is down at Champion for the installation of the upgraded intercoolers and for dynoing/datalogging I am having them check the whole car out. When it comes back I want it to be perfect. That is why I am shipping it down there and not using a local shop in NYC to just bolt on the ICs.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Yup for the 991 Works1 Package Installation right?

There is no confusion for me. Just wondering how this thread went this far off topic?

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 08-30-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM
FBA
Racer

It was "power steered" off course by someone with an ego...
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
The OP might be getting confused with a lot of discussion about modifying a base Turbo vs the extra cost of a TTS and may, after all decide to get a base and tune/modify it. I certainly respect anyone's prerogative to tune their car. I am happy to learn that so far no tuned car has overheated or gone into limp mode, except for repeated drag runs on hot days. Go for the iron rotors as well, just keep in mind that changes of pads at 50% extends the PCCB rotor life significantly.

My point is simply that until I can drive my TTS on a circuit at 10/10, my stock car is more than enough for me. If and when I get there, my choice will probably to get the next version of the 911 turbo
or maybe the one after that, which will be making a lot more power than the 991.1 or 991.2 TTS. My comment about Z06's relates to my first hand experience at the track recently. They are amazing cars, but do not have the reliability of a Porsche, at least not yet.
1. I suspect so, and, absolutely! Main thing is to be happy with your own lot, or at least try to be.

2. I'm with you here Andrew. And re .2, it's a direction I will be likely taking as well. They don't make em worse!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts
Default No Ragrets getting base turbo

I wanted a 911 turbo but had a nice 991 optioned perfectly so had a hard time justifying the $100k difference. Then I was offered a big discount on a '15 turbo so I ordered it the way I wanted it (probably the only base turbo around with PCCB's). I didn't want PDCC and had a bad experience with CL wheels on a Carrera GTS. Besides, I like the looks of the 5 lug turbo wheels. I know the resale value will be better on the TTS but I saved so much and got all the car I want for about $160. I love the car, the torque and don't miss the extra of the TTS. I look for excuses to drive anywhere. We are truly fortunate to be able to drive such an amazing car and to be able to order it exactly how we want.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!