Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!

I performed some statistical analysis between the total cost of the regular Turbo & Turbo S with the same options as possible.

In my head I am trying to validate between going to the S instead of the regular Turbo. But the big thing going for the S are some option's are free or just plain cheaper where as you would have to pay for some of the options for the Turbo.

Bottom lines

Turbo; $202,025
Turbo S; $220,185

Pretty much the exact same car except one is the S and the other is not. The difference is about $18K - both are the same car except of course do to the configurator prices don't reflect many of the contrasting stitching options.

My main issue is the S with more power worth that much more and are those with S ownership glad they went with the S?

Turbo options total comes to $49,930
Turbo S options total comes to $36,490
All with the exact same options. The S they give you a lot for free and at a lesser price.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM
SD911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're buying a $200K+ car either way, saving money doesn't seem like a very high priority. The S is simply a little faster, which you may or may not be able to actually feel. If that isn't important to you, then maybe you don't want the S. Personally, I knew if I didn't get the S, I would have always been second guessing the decision. No regret for me at all.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by SD911
If you're buying a $200K+ car either way, saving money doesn't seem like a very high priority. The S is simply a little faster, which you may or may not be able to actually feel. If that isn't important to you, then maybe you don't want the S. Personally, I knew if I didn't get the S, I would have always been second guessing the decision. No regret for me at all.
At one time, I thought about getting the standard Turbo, too, but I had the same concern... so TTS for me.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the financial aspect is a major one (you quote a 10% difference in price) then I would seriously consider the resale value. A TT resale value is going to be based somewhat on the blue book value and they don't take into account the $50k in options you are adding. A TTS will have a higher book value coming out of the gate because its MSRP is $30k higher. So the TTS may be a better choice considering you have to load the TT w so much in options.

Now if you are leasing I don't know if this holds true with the residual value calculations etc, but for an outright purchase, it is worth considering.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

The S is $18K more but one also saves about $13K over the non S with the options. Effectively rounded to just 9% more on total cost on the S model. The S is $18K more but one also saves about $13K over the non S with the options. I will never see that money again unless I keep the car for 20 plus years, and that is before adjusting for the Time Value of Money.
Just might as well go with the S since it offers more value where as the non S Porsche forces one to pay for all the options. But still it's almost $20K more - hell with the non S one is already paying over $200K+ for a bespoke car and not something that some sales manager configured which does not make much sense as to why which options were chosen.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I don't care much for resale, if so I wouldn't be buying a brand new car. I am more concerned with is the extra money worth it and I think with the discussion up to this point I have come to the right connclusion. Too bad it will only say "911" on the back and not Turbo S. I'm not one for advertising.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

I never even considered the TT. I wanted the fastest, most powerful turbo Porsche had at the time and didn't care about cost differences.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:04 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

I bought the non S. Like all the guys that bought the S I too have zero regrets. For me I could buy a new non S or a 997 either S or Non.

I also did not want PCCB. I plan to be buried in the car and didn't want an early funeral when I had to replace the brakes.

I also thought there is no way I will notice the .1-.2 difference in 0-60.

I guess if I had some of the money some folks do on here I would have just bought a fully loaded S with every option and not cared a bit. For me this has been a work in progress to buy my dream.

Just me.
The following users liked this post:
apombo60 (10-21-2021)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I didn't want PCCBs or CL wheels, so it was an easy choice for me. I did run the sticker up to $171 with options I did want, but it was still cheaper than a base "S". There's nothing I didn't get I would miss after 6 months of ownership.
I often end up trading cars faster than I originally planned, but so far I like this one quite a bit. And it's already stupid fast. Still not wild about PDK only, but I'm trying to adjust to it. When I was stuck in construction on the Interstate today, it was the first time it was "OK" with me.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:45 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I wanted the S.
It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. You will never see an S owner wishing he only got a non-S. You can always rationalize spending less on a regular turbo. Fantastic car. I, however, would always second guess my decision if I didn't get an S. Always costs me more money in the long run if I settle for a lesser car and rationalize spending less money because I sell/trade it for the better car in the end.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 PM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Plus if it's a money thing, is there a difference in insurance rate? I didn't inquire but that would be interesting to know. Oh, and I am a little tired of brake dust after only 2 months!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I didn't want PCCBs or CL wheels, so it was an easy choice for me.
Same for me. I did the same analysis as T-C and came to the same conclusion you did. That and I would have had to have the calipers painted red to go with the rest of the car.

Since I'm planning on tracking my TT once I'm good enough, throw-in ~$4k for steel brakes and pads.

If I ever 'need' more than 520 bhp, $3500 covers the GIAC tune.

Nope, the $24k to go with the S, an extra bit of power and the wrong kind of brakes made no sense.

After 2600 miles I have zero regrets.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I only wanted the S. They were easier to get last Sept because there were more available. When I tell the PCA guys I have a 991 Turbo, the first question is of course is Did you get the Turbo S? I don't get it but there seems to be some "status and prestige " associated with the Turbo S. I think Porsche has brilliance inmarketing their cars. If you add the powerpack option to the regular 911 it is very costly so the 30 or so HP gained in the S is well worth it if just for the HP. Put 185 miles on the car on Saturday with the PCA guys on a great back road drive and had zero dust on my wheels. That alone is priceless to me. The S is a great deal IMO.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 PM
eddtiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it depends in which part of the world you're in because the difference in price between the S and non S can be quite substantial. For the US market, it's a no brainer to go the S because of all the standard features + additional HP, for the I think 40K difference. My market on the other hand, and many other Asian markets, the price is usually over 100k USD between the 2.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:21 PM
FBA
Racer

For me, it was the S only. Wanted the fastest thing I could get in a 911, and the S was that "thing".

Quick Reply: Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!