Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone thinking there is no discernible power difference between the two are kidding themselves. The S has noticeable urge mid range and up top. Not saying non S is slow by any measure but the S certainly feels better/meatier and more willing where it counts....mid range and on the top end of the revs. You can feel it for sure.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I'm planning on tracking my TT once I'm good enough, throw-in ~$4k for steel brakes and pads. If I ever 'need' more than 520 bhp, $3500 covers the GIAC tune. Nope, the $24k to go with the S, an extra bit of power and the wrong kind of brakes made no sense. After 2600 miles I have zero regrets.
This^. The software upgrade levels it out with the S.

Last edited by Flowmacks; 08-25-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowmacks
This^. The software upgrade levels it out with the S.
So if both models get the tune, they have the same performance? Or the Turbo plus the tune raises it to near or equal to the S without the tune?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM
FORENN
Banned

Nope, the $24k to go with the S, an extra bit of power and the wrong kind of brakes made no sense.
You track your TT a lot?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
hduffy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of curiosity, I went through this same gyration when I ordered. I had no intentions of not getting the S. Our '15 Turbo S had an MSRP of 230,980.00. A non S with the same options was 226,670.00 so only a 4,310.00 difference.
The difference in options was 27,290.00. Consisted of these options or the difference in price of the options between the S & non S.

Sport Chrono Package 4,090.00
PCCB - Ceramic Brakes 9,210.00
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) 3,160.00
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels 3,835.00
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package 1,145.00
Sport Seats Plus Backrest Trim in Leather - Black 1,270.00
Gear Selector in Carbon Fiber 650.00
Carbon Fiber Interior Package 1,990.00
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber 630.00
LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus 2,340.00
Premium Package Plus 270.00
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
So if both models get the tune, they have the same performance? Or the Turbo plus the tune raises it to near or equal to the S without the tune?
I think the motors and turbos are identical, and the only difference is in the software. A GAIC tune takes them both to ~620HP.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM
speed21
Banned

The S will always have the higher redline and different PDK software mapping due to the different rpm shift points. Personally I cant fault the stock tune of the S. It is an amazing package as a car. As it is, it's extremely rare to find any situation where you can actually utilize the potential of the stock engine beyond allowing it to rev to the red in the first two gears. The car simply goes so fast so quickly without any need to rev out or hold revs to max in a given gear. You can just shift up between 4000 and 6000 and gather massive speed between the corners! Even during mountain driving events it's the same thing, no need to wring the engine's neck in any gear, and I've run with some VERY fast cars. Maybe you could utilize the additional torque of a tune on an massive wide oval racetrack going round and round in circles, or a dragstrip event, but beyond that I feel any tune would only go toward throwing the cars suspension and brake set up out of balance. Once you increase the power/torque you generally need to up the brakes and suspension. This is where i've seen tuned turbo cars get eaten up on these types of drives by lesser HP NA P cars that are working in perfect harmony as a sum of their parts. And, it is much more fun to drive the car in this set up....less stressful to the car and driver. The car can be driven smoother and faster..
Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Based on my reading of the GIAC web site, with no other mods the plain-run-of-the-mill-ho-hum-poor-man's Turbo gets 50 hp while the Turbo S gets 30 hp. In both cases the max listed is 50 and 70 respectively but the implication is that you need an exhaust to get that.

You track your TT a lot?
I have done one lap of the Nordschleife in my TT just to say that I've done it. My normal track car is a mildly-prepped C5 Z06. When I'm a good enough driver to get 100% out of that I'll think about tracking the Turbo. It's all about adjusting the nut behind the wheel properly. Fast cars need fast drivers.

Originally Posted by speed21
... Personally I cant fault the stock tune of the S. It is an amazing package as a car. As it is, it's extremely rare to find any situation where you can actually utilize the potential of the stock engine ...
Everything you write is true of the 'weakling' Turbo also.

Once you increase the power you generally need to up the brakes and suspension.
In general I agree. However, is there a difference in brakes and suspension between the Turbo and the S? Other than with-or-without PCCB I don't think so.

A 520 hp Turbo, a 560 hp S, a tuned 570 hp Turbo or a tuned 590 hp S? A second-gear roll-on to redline in the Turbo hurts my face just a little bit. For my daily three-season driver that's plenty of power.

At these power-to-weight ratios we're already past fast, really fast, stupid fast, and nudging into crazy fast. It's basically a numbers and bragging rights game. Or a difference you get to feel every once-in-a-while for a fraction of a second. Which is all fine. Everybody gets to vote with their wallet and buy things that make them happy.

That written, anyone that thinks they will regret, or be somehow diminished by, not having the extra 40 hp should get the S. Life is too short for regrets.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 AM
speed21
Banned

Based on my reading of the GIAC web site, with no other mods the plain-run-of-the-mill-ho-hum-poor-man's Turbo gets 50 hp while the Turbo S gets 30 hp. In both cases the max listed is 50 and 70 respectively but the implication is that you need an exhaust to get that.
Appears to be the case. The regular turbo "tuned" will also never have the same flexibility as the S with the higher RPM and shift menu.... appears to be something beyond GIAC. So there will always be a difference there. And with any exhaust once you fit a system that doesn't improve upon every aspect of the original system it becomes a test of time to how long the system will maintain its original performance benefits (particularly when it is catted). Then you have the extra boost potentially creating heat soak amongst other issues which is something I personally don't want occurring during a 2 to 3 hr hour hard and fast point to point drive. So far as I see it you can't go past the stock tune. The car will run all day everyday flawlessly.. You add a tune and something else gets taken away in the process. These P cars to me are all about their drive-ability, durability and reliability. Why F with that? Been there done that screwing around with tunes, dodgy **** and glitter overly hyped exhausts..along with AM suspensions... If you can get a package like this out of the box it's worth every penny and then some!

...is there a difference in brakes and suspension between the Turbo and the S? Other than with-or-without PCCB I don't think so.
PCCB uses larger Dia rotors just for starters. PCCB is 410 front 390 rear vs the standard turbos 380 front and rear. The S also has PDCC standard. This feature really makes a significant difference in fast corners. For my kind of driving, after using with and without, I wouldn't consider a standard turbo without that option....period. It just doesn't drive as good. I also feel the same about the brakes. It's tough going back to steels after using the new PCCB. I don't care what they cost any more. So far as I'm concerned they are a must have with this level of power underfoot. Anything else is a compromise...

Last edited by speed21; 08-26-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got my 2015 self-configured S a year ago and have no regrets. 9000 miles and five track days and almost no pad or rotor deterioration/wear according to dealer tech. CL's are also easier to dismount/mount than most apparently think. Current generation PCCB's are much better than prior versions. If you want more unsprung weight get iron rotors and five lug wheels, even on the S.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the non S with Steel disc, and the S with five lug regular turbo rims. I want more options with the wheels but I know what I'm going to get anyway - MHT Monotec T10's for that old school look.

Adjusting the Nut behind the wheel... Love that one. I would be scared in a C5 as a passenger unless the driver was properly trained.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM
FORENN
Banned

I have done one lap of the Nordschleife in my TT just to say that I've done it.
I see. I asked because you had called the PCCBs "the wrong kind of brakes" and I couldn't figure out why one would say that unless he tracked his car a lot and didn't want the expense of replacing them.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 AM
FORENN
Banned

Thanks for all of the thoughts and info on the GIAC tune, guys. Has anyone had any kind of warranty trouble post-tune? Or does adding the GIAC tune in no way affect warranty?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I kept the non S with Steel disc, and the S with five lug regular turbo rims. I want more options with the wheels but I know what I'm going to get anyway - MHT Monotec T10's for that old school look.
That is another argument in favor of five-lug. And note while you can opt out of the CLs on the TTS, you can't opt out of the PCCBs.

Let us know what you decide, Tacet. Look forward to some pics. My own will be coming shortly.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:38 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speed 21 is right based on my limited track experience. The stock S is a well balanced setup. Start messing with tune, suspension non-stock wheels or convert to smaller diameter iron rotors at your discretion, but think for a moment about the Porsche engineering that has gone into these cars. On a circuit the S is very under-appreciated IMO. FWIW, even on short straights the S gives the new Z06 drivers heartburn. Have not seen a 991 TTS over heat either.
And yes, the best adjustment is the "nut behind the wheel" for sure. Get the 918 if you want fast track times without putting in the seat time and instruction to improve technique. Of course, smooth drivers in a 918 are tough to match with anything on four wheels except pure race cars.

Quick Reply: Price difference between Turbo & S Model's with same option's!