Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
hduffy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo hands down. That being said, it is almost too perfect. I've owned a 993, 2 - 996, 2 - 997, 997 Turbo S, 997 GT2, 997 GT2RS and now a 991 Turbo S. I wish the 991 had some of the DNA from the older versions. I also have an F12 Ferrari and traded a 599 GTO for it. I feel the same way about the F12. Almost too perfect. Wish it had some 599 GTO DNA. Still prefer the F12 though. Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into an F12 discussion so please, no Ferrari questions. Just sayin'
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bshah1976
Bait - by no means.
I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.
I have heard so many talk about preferring NA cars over Turbos but I never knew why and I still don't.

I agree the TTS could be the best car for what it offers while providing a back seat (I need to put car seat in the back for my 2 year old).

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting one very very soon.
Mostly it's the sound. However, on the BMW forum there is a Ferrari owner who calls the Porsche a vacuum cleaner so the flat six doesn't have the best sound out there anyway. It's the 9000 RPM Ferrari that produces the best sound according to most who are concerned with sound only. I happen to like the acceleration of the Turbo cars so I have become addicted to the 991tts. I drove both the California and the 458 and the 991tts accelerates much more strongly albeit not sounding as well while doing it. Both of those cars sounded way better than my Pcar but that isn't why I have it. With the aftermarket exhuast the sound is vastly improved.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Since 2012 i have owned 3 Porsche's . Starting with 997 911 S ,then 991 911 S4 and now 2015 911 S TT.
The turbo is the best. It has better drive and all the power you need and best value. The turbo's have always had better resale value. Price a 2016 and you will a big jump.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bshah1976
Coming for a F-car F430 - I am in the process of getting a 991TTS - primarily because I can drive it more by having rear seats.

So many people have told me not to get it and to get a C4S (since I want AWD).
I am not versed in all the reason of NA vs. Turbo, but just curious as you why so much negativity?

Thank you.
These are common reasons. Most are simply conjecture but what isn't conjecture regarding cars these days?

-Price Point: TT has supercar performance minus the supercar appeal to most. Many assume a 911 is a 911 and at that price, $200k, you can flirt with more exotic brands even though the TT will destroy most pound-4-pound.

-Forced Induction: some purists often steer clear, no pun intended, of turbos. I personally don't have a preference. I'm more interested in the package and how seemless this package functions as a unit. The mantra, "there's no replacement for displacement comes to mind". True but a bit dated in my opinion.

-AWD: either you love it, hate it or you're indifferent. I've owned 2 AWD vehicles of the Japanese rally heritage.

-Exhaust note: as noted, some hate the turbo "swoosh" cadence these cars give off. Yes, car enthusiasts are ****.

-Normalcy to insanity: I've read, by reputable journalists and media sources, the car is extremely drivable yet goes bat-**** instantly which many fear. They see this car as a liability in many ways. Overkill perhaps for what the average Joe can handle and needs.

-Comparable 911 variants across a rather competitive price point. Many would argue, for the average buyer, an S to a GTS 4, perhaps even the track monster, GT3, offers better return, financially and even emotionally. Many folks don't care for 0-60 times primarily. They prefer specific aesthetics, certain transmissions, etc.

Just my opinion. I've always admired every generation of the 911 turbo. I just prefer to row through my gears but Porsche knows best. For now, I got rid of my C2 and now have a GTS 7/manny. Not nearly as fast but it's gorgeous.

I think I might consider a TT one day. With any porsche, you can't really lose. That said, I'm think I'll keep my GTS.

Last edited by Lawsofpower; 07-16-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Why did I buy the Turbo S? Love the looks, performance is beyond reproach, love that it is below the radar (especially in a mild GT Silver) and that it is equally comfortable on the street or the backstraight.

I didn't love the wheels - so I put on HRE P101s with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and it is just jaw dropping gorgeous now. I get more compliments than any car I've owned, even though most people see it as any ole "Porscha", and I don't correct 'em.

I didn't love the overly muted exhaust note - so I put on a Sharkwerks exhaust. $1900 plus install, but it dramatically changes the visceral experience to another level. The cats and intermediate mufflers stay in place, so no CEL, full warranty intact, and no droning...it's just right. Probably a tic quieter than a GT3, but it's the single biggest difference in the work I have done. The car just feels like $200,000 now.

On track, I have a massive target on my back by the purists, even the guys in 991 GT3 with PDK. This is the best part! I have yet to find any street Porsche that can hang with me all the way around the track! The GT3 can make a very small gap in esses due to it's weight, but the turbo can put a massive distance between us on a straight, and they can't catch back up by the end of the lap. (Yes, I am shallow, but I come to the track to lap as fast as I can and push myself.)

AWD is fantastic on track (unbelievable grip and turn-in), the car is simply brilliant, and it's so fast that I would not have time to both shift a manny, and see track workers. No way would this car be as fast with the manual. Yes, it does make me faster while I don't have the experience of some of the salty ole dogs, but they have nothing but praise and astonishment when we get back into the paddock. Ultimately, I don't actually care what anybody thinks anyway, because the car is simply badass and everyone 100% knows that in their hearts.

You will have ZERO regrets if you go turbo S. There is no perceivable turbo lag for you or the purists to hate, the PDK is so fast you wouldn't know it even if there was, and the world comes at your windshield so fast that you get tunnel vision anyway.

Finally, my wife thinks it just some "Porsche" we can drive to the movie theater - I did have to correct her!

Last edited by Randyc151; 07-16-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Why did I buy the Turbo S? Love the looks, performance is beyond reproach, love that it is below the radar (especially in a mild GT Silver) and that it is equally comfortable on the street or the backstraight.

I didn't love the wheels - so I put on HRE P101s with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires and it is just jaw dropping gorgeous now. I get more compliments than any car I've owned, even though most people see it as any ole "Porscha", and I don't correct 'em.

I didn't love the overly muted exhaust note - so I put on a Sharkwerks exhaust. $1900 plus install, but it dramatically changes the visceral experience to another level. The cats and intermediate mufflers stay in place, so no CEL, full warranty intact, and no droning...it's just right. Probably a tic quieter than a GT3, but it's the single biggest difference in the work I have done. The car just feels like $200,000 now.

On track, I have a massive target on my back by the purists, even the guys in 991 GT3 with PDK. This is the best part! I have yet to find any street Porsche that can hang with me all the way around the track! The GT3 can make a very small gap in esses due to it's weight, but the turbo can put a massive distance between us on a straight, and they can't catch back up by the end of the lap. (Yes, I am shallow, but I come to the track to lap as fast as I can and push myself.)

AWD is fantastic on track (unbelievable grip and turn-in), the car is simply brilliant, and it's so fast that I would not have time to both shift a manny, and see track workers. No way would this car be as fast with the manual. Yes, it does make me faster while I don't have the experience of some of the salty ole dogs, but they have nothing but praise and astonishment when we get back into the paddock. Ultimately, I don't actually care what anybody thinks anyway, because the car is simply badass and everyone 100% knows that in their hearts.

You will have ZERO regrets if you go turbo S. There is no perceivable turbo lag for you or the purists to hate, the PDK is so fast you wouldn't know it even if there was, and the world comes at your windshield so fast that you get tunnel vision anyway.

Finally, my wife thinks it just some "Porsche" we can drive to the movie theater - I did have to correct her!
My sentiments exactly! The acceleration prowess and torque of the 991TT are simply addicting. You are especially appreciative when it comes to passing on a two lane highway. It seems almost no gap is too short a runway to get past someone. (I say that in partial jest; you still have to be careful not to cause an accident or road rage, or get a ticket for exceeding 100 mph, as it comes up and you're easily past that mark in a blink.)

There are a few clips YouTube pitting a GT3 against a 458 Speciale. Perhaps the most entertaining is the one where Chris Harris in a 991 GT3 goes up against Tiff Needell in a 458 Speciale. The Ferrari edges the GT3 and of course it depends on the track, but I wonder whether the 991TT wouldn't do better against the Speciale than Chris did. A lot of the GT3's grip comes from the Sport Cup tires over the street P Zeros of the turbo, but you can see from Randy's post what putting on the same tires does to the equation.

Here is another one, but what I'd like to see is a 991TT (with Sport Cups) vs. a Speciale:

Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,866 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?

Perhaps those same people prefer 50k (give or take) in cash in their pockets a bit more?

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-16-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Plus the TTS is easy to Tune. GIAC stage 2 and a sport exhaust, takes the car to another level!!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?

Originally Posted by Need4S
My sentiments exactly! The acceleration prowess and torque of the 991TT are simply addicting. You are especially appreciative when it comes to passing on a two lane highway. It seems almost no gap is too short a runway to get past someone. (I say that in partial jest; you still have to be careful not to cause an accident or road rage, or get a ticket for exceeding 100 mph, as it comes up and you're easily past that mark in a blink.)

There are a few clips YouTube pitting a GT3 against a 458 Speciale. Perhaps the most entertaining is the one where Chris Harris in a 991 GT3 goes up against Tiff Needell in a 458 Speciale. The Ferrari edges the GT3 and of course it depends on the track, but I wonder whether the 991TT wouldn't do better against the Speciale than Chris did. A lot of the GT3's grip comes from the Sport Cup tires over the street P Zeros of the turbo, but you can see from Randy's post what putting on the same tires does to the equation.

Here is another one, but what I'd like to see is a 991TT (with Sport Cups) vs. a Speciale:

Ferrari 458 Speciale vs Porsche 911 GT3 (2014) twin test review - YouTube
This is the best video I've seen to date of the 991 Turbo S. To get a faster lap than a Ferrari Speciale is mind blowing IMHO! I still can't believe it! But it's true!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Perhaps those same people prefer 50k (give or take) in cash in their pockets a bit more?

You can't take it with you ipsi. If you can swing it, don't hold back. Not that a GT3 isn't a bad fallback. But just saying... the TTS is a hard car to top.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:35 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl911
Plus the TTS is easy to Tune. GIAC stage 2 and a sport exhaust, takes the car to another level!!
How is another level possible? Lol
Old 07-18-2015, 02:02 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is the best video I've seen to date of the 991 Turbo S. To get a faster lap than a Ferrari Speciale is mind blowing IMHO! I still can't believe it! But it's true!

Porsche 911 Turbo S | evo LEADERBOARD - YouTube
Love it, I want one....badly
Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Every review or comparison I've ever seen basically says "Porsche tried to supply us the car with the optional PSC2 tires but was unable to" so that they can preserve that for the GT3.

Check out this smackdown on the Z06 and GT-R Nismo. I love it when people try to compare these three cars, because they are not in the same league or price range. The Turbo S should be compared to the Ferrari 458 and the Huracan and 650S. It might not win every comparison with them, but that's the class this car runs in.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-5
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Expresses my sentimentss exactly...

Originally Posted by Just J
I love my Turbo and have no regrets at all that I ended up here after starting out looking at C4S's.

That said, there's a definite change in the exhaust note on all turbo charged engines. So if the sound of the exhaust is a critical part of the experience for you, then a turbo-charged car may not be as appealing as NA cars.

The turbo also weighs in about 400 pounds heavier than a C4S, and while the engine's power and the ceramic brakes hide that in a straight-line, you can definitely feel it in the corners. So the Turbo feels more like a GT than do the sportier-feeling NA cars.

But, like said, in spite of these "flaws" relative to the NA cars, I love my TTS and have absolutely no regrets. It's a mind-blowingly capable car that can be driven all day every day in all weather conditions and still pounds around a road course like a pro.
Originally Posted by Randyc151

Definitely a lot of respect at the track, although as said, we can be a target. A bit off topic, but the track day respect is not evident at PCA group DE's for reasons that I can only guess about.

Considered a C4S, but after configuring one stepped up to another dimension with the TTS. Yes, the price delta is not trivial, but neither is the performance. One of the problems with the C4S even with the power kit is that the torque curve requires high RPM to get the power, which attracts a bit too much attention on public roads for me. Exhaust note in stock TTS works for me, although the sport exhaust in my PGTS is very engaging, but mostly about sound and fury, not power compared to the 991 TTS.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:16 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was choosing it came down to the 2S or the Turbo. I liked the RWD feel of the 2S, but ultimately the torque was addictive and the stability of the turbo really won me over. If anything, I feel like the turbo has more linear power delivery than the S now, because the S changes character at higher revs, but the way they've tuned the TT, it just pulls and keeps pulling when you floor it. Game over for the S/4S.
I did prefer the NA sound slightly, but that was not really a deciding factor.

Quick Reply: Why do so many people dislike the 991 turbo?