Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Clear film on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

It's odd because one of XPELs (ultimate only)properties is that it allows the surface to breath naturally which is why it doesn't yellow. The big local body shop that does all the exotics and is certified by Porsche, Ferrari, RR, etc said that you can even put the XPEL (ultimate) on paint that hasn't fully cured. When you peel it off the paint is fine as the paint will cure under the film. He says the do it on resprays all the time and they don't even do the film another shop does so there is no $ in the install for them. There would be be no way the owner of the shop would risk a $30,000 paint job by saying that if it wasn't the case.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa
It's odd because one of XPELs (ultimate only)properties is that it allows the surface to breath naturally which is why it doesn't yellow. The big local body shop that does all the exotics and is certified by Porsche, Ferrari, RR, etc said that you can even put the XPEL (ultimate) on paint that hasn't fully cured. When you peel it off the paint is fine as the paint will cure under the film. He says the do it on resprays all the time and they don't even do the film another shop does so there is no $ in the install for them. There would be be no way the owner of the shop would risk a $30,000 paint job by saying that if it wasn't the case.
I probably wasn't clear. Its only on the headlights there may be potential issues. Not the paint on panels or bumpers. There are some many variables with the paint as you well know. I'm not an expert, but did a lot of research on this. If original paint, removing film should not be a problem. But if film was on for years and baked in AZ sun, it could be dicey to remove. Especially if technician is careless. Worse on plastic bumpers, as the original paint is baked at a lower temperature than panels. Some films have stronger adhesives too. According to my research, re-sprays need 30 to 60 days to cure before filming. Again can always be exceptions, and most importantly the film should be removed in about 20 degree angle with steam or heat gun. Best temps to film is 65 to 85 degrees.

Hope this clarifies. Of course, we all have opinions, and the board is just to share our own. Plus, I'm often a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I've had clear bra on and off my 997.2 GT3 since shortly after I purchased it with 2000 miles. I redid the clear bra on the entire car after it had been on the car close to 3 years. No de laminating, no issues. When the lights and paint were redone, all looked as new.

Sounds like a lot of dealers trying to preserve light assembly sales to me .
Old 05-28-2017, 06:19 PM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by amfp
It is not Xpel specific, nor for the panels, or bumpers, it specifically for new 911, and other models., headlights only. If you own a Ferrari or other cars, it does not apply, Its specific Porsche (don't know about Cayenne or Pano), but Germany is now using, my guess from 2014, a special UV clear coat on the plastic lens for 911's, Caymans, and Boxsters.

It is possible, and it has happened, even with the film on the headlight covers, it still can delaminate bc of the heat of the hi intensity lights and/or summer sun. With the UV clear coat on the softer plastic headlight covers, it is much more sensitive than paint that is baked onto the panels, or even the bumpers. To me, it is a calculated risk to put them on, and decision between you, the installer to include them and/or if your dealer covers the new lamps under warranty. I don't think you can just replace the plastic over, it is the complete headlight unit.

I've heard the same comment.

I have been putting protective film on headlights on all of my cars for 5 years already and was always happy with the protection. I have ordered a new set of black headlights, which are on their way already and planned to cover 911 headlights with Suntek as well.

But the information on this thread and the discussion which I heard locally brings some doubt if I should do it or avoid it.

The problem is that:
1) if you don't cover the healdingts with a film, the plastic of the headlights will be damaged while driving at high speed pretty fast.
2) if you do cover it with the film, then you have a risk of immediately ruinung this UV layer and thus ruining the plastic of the headlight

I am stuck...

Any personal experience on the matter?
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
I've heard the same comment.

I have been putting protective film on headlights on all of my cars for 5 years already and was always happy with the protection. I have ordered a new set of black headlights, which are on their way already and planned to cover 911 headlights with Suntek as well.

But the information on this thread and the discussion which I heard locally brings some doubt if I should do it or avoid it.

The problem is that:
1) if you don't cover the healdingts with a film, the plastic of the headlights will be damaged while driving at high speed pretty fast.
2) if you do cover it with the film, then you have a risk of immediately ruinung this UV layer and thus ruining the plastic of the headlight

I am stuck...

Any personal experience on the matter?
Thanks in advance!
I rolled the dice and covered my last 3 911's headlight lens without any issue.

Of all the chatter about lens damage due to vinyl covering, I've yet to learn anything first hand.

Always seems to be along the lines: I heard of a guy who knew a guy that had a brother....
Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 AM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had my car done and the installer recommended not doing the headlights as well as they have seen it happen. They did say that there is a shop close by here (San Diego) that will refinish the headlight clear coating with a non UV non-laminating process for a nominal amount if it de-laminates so that would be an option if you did have an issue. I don't think it was real expensive either, like a couple hundred or so.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told it was illegal in Mass. to cover the lights or the windshield. I wish they could do the windshield I think that is a greater risk and much more expensive to replace.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Have 3M on my 2014 GT3 since new, and no issues. I'm sure it saved the headlights at least from major chipping - it's the thickest film I could find and it's been almost punctured by rocks already. No delaminating or other issues. Could it be that those who had delamination issue had installers use heat guns too liberally near the headlights? My installer stretched the film away from the light to the correct shape to avoid getting heat on the lights. But I know nothing about headlight meterials, so just speculating here.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont have all the facts but I believe my installer mentioned certain headlights such as mine The HPd led ones that were identified as being an issue but someone may be able to clarify better than I.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's the scoop.

This is only a concern for newer Porsches. 997's need not be concerned.

991's, 981 and 718....not such good news for you.

It is not that every set will have problems. It is not that it is only a concern with certain films. It is that these headlights are prone to delamination. They are prone during removal as well as during installation of the film. Yes, steps can be taken to minimize the risks but there is a clear and legitimate concern for the coating to release. Porsche as well as some PPF manufacturers advise against installation for obvious reasons. Normal wear and tear is expected. Headlights looking like there was a failure of some sort is not normal and aggravates people.

My .02? Choose yer poison. There is no right answer.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:11 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Here's the scoop.

This is only a concern for newer Porsches. 997's need not be concerned.

991's, 981 and 718....not such good news for you.

It is not that every set will have problems. It is not that it is only a concern with certain films. It is that these headlights are prone to delamination. They are prone during removal as well as during installation of the film. Yes, steps can be taken to minimize the risks but there is a clear and legitimate concern for the coating to release. Porsche as well as some PPF manufacturers advise against installation for obvious reasons. Normal wear and tear is expected. Headlights looking like there was a failure of some sort is not normal and aggravates people.

My .02? Choose yer poison. There is no right answer.

Thank for the note.

I just don't understand what is the worst case scenario if putting a film on the headlights? How will it look if this UV coating is damaged with the film?

I mean if you don't cover headlights you will for sure have all the plastic of the headlingts damages with roks and sand and thus loosing its clear condition. The headlight will look ugly as a result.

The question is what os wtong with this UV coating being gone?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by kart driver
Thank for the note.

I just don't understand what is the worst case scenario if putting a film on the headlights? How will it look if this UV coating is damaged with the film?

I mean if you don't cover headlights you will for sure have all the plastic of the headlingts damages with roks and sand and thus loosing its clear condition. The headlight will look ugly as a result.

The question is what os wtong with this UV coating being gone?
I'm sure we've all seen sandblasted headlight lens as a result from being left naked.

Has anyone actually have photos of a headlight lens suffering UV delamination from being vinyl coated? Or does this phenomenon fall in the realm of Bigfoot and Loch Ness monster sightings??
Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

It looks flaky, cracked and white where it fails. Very unattractive.

If it occurs one can sand and respray clear coat to address the failure.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Like this but clear:

Old 10-08-2017, 01:05 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering this thread was created over 2 years now, I'm curious if anyone has in fact had any issues with their head lights after installing PPF (paint protection film) over them.

Some say it could possibly cause the lens to delaminate or something if / when you were to remove the film for any reason at all...

My car is getting PPF installed tomorrow and while I usually do have the headlights protected, Im still on the fence on giving the green light to go ahead and do them.

TIA

Quick Reply: Clear film on Headlights